Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-27-2018, 07:20 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great story! I think it portrayed FIRE well.

Ironic that the ad they stuck at the beginning of the video was for a development called Bella Vista with houses starting in the $900's. Not the path to FIRE.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2018, 07:20 AM   #22
gone traveling

Very interesting! I had (while lurking) read your comments and some others commenting about you, with interest. Going to your site answered a lot of questions for me. While I would never be able to retire with your spending (well, not until divorced ), It still provides a lot of information that could be helpful to me.

I have so much to learn about income from investments, and am researching as much as I can, especially dividends related to taxable accounts (MF vs. ETF's?).

Look forward to reading through your past articles when I am not w*rking!
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:24 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The last thing I would want is publicity...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:27 AM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Why? I'm sure his blog revenue will increase.....
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #25

We never even thought about retirement in our 20's, so there is no way we could have retired at 33. Nice story and family.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:05 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
Why? I'm sure his blog revenue will increase.....

Blog or not, I prefer anonymity! YMMV...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I agree. I'm glad the OP got a good article out of it rather than out-of-context sound bytes, and I KNOW people need to hear about how you can ER if you save, use some simple investment tactics and LBYM.

Having said that- I'd prefer that only a select trusted few know my net worth (Dad, DS and one friend). I'll continue to bop around town in a 6-year old boring sedan in my jeans and freebie T-shirts and let people think I'm just scraping by on SS Survivor benefits.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:14 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

great story congrats!!
Old 10-27-2018, 12:04 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Cool story about our family's early retirement on the local news

He has benefitted from a great bull run and some decent blog income. Not retired just changed job to full time blogger and self promoter of said blog. Some good content but heavy affiliate linking and pushing of products.
I’m a big fan of how he scrimped to get his nest egg and it’s fortunate that he hasn’t really had to tap into it
Beer-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:04 PM   #30

We may not always see eye to eye, but we can always be respectful of each other.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:33 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
We may not always see eye to eye, but we can always be respectful of each other.

I’m a fan of his I’m not sure what gave you the impression I was attacking him. Just putting the story into context. Getting media coverage just gets more clicks, more clicks gets more affiliate money.
I’m on Tapatalk so not always sure if I’m on MMM or ER. Honesty and openness is allowed on MMM however the skin is much thinner in these parts
Beer-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:37 PM   #32

Yes, now that you have edited your post to add so much more to it, no problem.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Your cover is blown. Nice job!
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:29 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-man View Post
He has benefitted from a great bull run and some decent blog income. Not retired just changed job to full time blogger and self promoter of said blog. Some good content but heavy affiliate linking and pushing of products.
I’m a big fan of how he scrimped to get his nest egg and it’s fortunate that he hasn’t really had to tap into it
I don't agree. There are some links to things he uses. He gets a commission if you sign up for a good deal at the credit card site and you and he each get $10 I think at e-bates. All that is disclosed. He uses Personal Capital investment tracking, which is free, and not their investment management, which he does not push. There is nothing on the blog site that is pushed.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:24 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-man View Post
I’m a fan of his I’m not sure what gave you the impression I was attacking him. Just putting the story into context. Getting media coverage just gets more clicks, more clicks gets more affiliate money.
I’m on Tapatalk so not always sure if I’m on MMM or ER. Honesty and openness is allowed on MMM however the skin is much thinner in these parts
In terms of effort for amount of exposure, local news stories are horrible. I had to shave and put on a clean shirt just for a market of a mere couple million potential people. National media is where it's at. CNBC booked on Monday.

It's almost like a full time job (just ~7.5 hours less work each day and the commute is zero since they come to me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Great story! I think it portrayed FIRE well.

Ironic that the ad they stuck at the beginning of the video was for a development called Bella Vista with houses starting in the $900's. Not the path to FIRE.
Someone that saw the video left the same comment on my facebook page re: the irony of million dollar luxury home ads juxtaposed against my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I agree. I'm glad the OP got a good article out of it rather than out-of-context sound bytes, and I KNOW people need to hear about how you can ER if you save, use some simple investment tactics and LBYM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Thanks for sharing, FUEGO! I always turn down media requests. I really don't trust interviews with the media due to their habit of chopping up an interview to make a point of view. I'm glad to hear Mandy treated you well.
Always talk in soundbites because they will be chopping things up. I think I've done several dozen media interviews or podcasts by now so I'm developing quite an ability for PR. New encore career possibility? And this particular interview was softball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Nice feature. I would be have been scared to death to pull the plug at 33 without a fortune. Good for you.
Well I could always go back to work
Old 10-28-2018, 06:23 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Good article! It reinforces that are no secrets to early retirement. Many people can do it with proper motivation, discipline and a bit of cooperation with the market.
frank2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:47 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
New encore career possibility?

Well I could always go back to work
New Semi-Reality TV Show "Retirement Style" and then a magazine with a photo of you in a different locale on the cover each month. Eventually add a magazine. Name: "Fuego" and subtitle: "Fueling Your FIRE Journey".

After about seven years of this, you re-retire on the royalties with triple your monthly budget LOL.

There is a cable channel (I think) called Retirement TV. It was started about ten years ago by John Erickson but I'm not sure how much he's still involved in it.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:53 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank2009 View Post
Good article! It reinforces that are no secrets to early retirement. Many people can do it with proper motivation, discipline and a bit of cooperation with the market.
Yes, I think people need to learn this. It's a boring message- one dollar at a time, don't buy a shiny new car every 3 years, don't eat out 3 times a week, don't carry a balance on your credit card so you can take the kids to Disney World... Of course there's some luck involved (investment results, having marketable skills, staying healthy, no expensive divorce) but most of it is under their control.

Even if his readers/viewers don't do well enough to ER that young, they'll be more resilient when emergencies happen along the way and better prepared to retire decently in their 50s or 60s.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:35 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post

Why not? Nothing at all contradictory about FIRE and a $900,000 home (or two or three!).

You just need the income and portfolio to support it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
New Semi-Reality TV Show "Retirement Style" and then a magazine with a photo of you in a different locale on the cover each month. Eventually add a magazine. Name: "Fuego" and subtitle: "Fueling Your FIRE Journey".

After about seven years of this, you re-retire on the royalties with triple your monthly budget LOL.

There is a cable channel (I think) called Retirement TV. It was started about ten years ago by John Erickson but I'm not sure how much he's still involved in it.
You've basically just described my blog. Travel overseas, spend a month oceanfront in the Bahamas, go on cruises, etc. And throw the travel pics up on my site.

Profit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of IMG_7390r.jpg (320.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Justin-RootofGood-Venice.jpg (793.8 KB, 47 views)