Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Yes, very nice.

robertf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2014, 03:32 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
Thanks, found out later that this was a picture of the sister of the person who will get the litho. The sister passed away earlier this year.

This one has 18 LED's and for the next one this size, will probably add about 3 more to even out the lighting. The lights I'm using come in a 16' roll and you can cut it to size between 3 lights- there are copper pads that you then use to connect the wiring and the LED strips together. It's hard to make a tight radius turn with the LED so for this one, I used 3 strips of 6 lights each, I will move them up a bit inside the case and add a row of 3 across the bottom next time and get a more even light but I was still happy with how this one turned out and needed to get it done so it could go in the mail!

I also used some connecters that are sold that connect to the LED strip copper pads to make the connections without soldering. the lights are covered with a rubber type coating that make them too thick to fit the connector so it has to be trimmed, but it's hard to trim off enough to allow the cover to close without running in to a diode. I got rid of the cover and once the connection was made, secured it to the connector with hot glue- the hot glue was used to secure the lights to the back of the case as well.

Thanks for the nice compliments.

davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DD is doing shadow boxes with similar back lighting and lighting issues. Her boxes are in the 8" x 10" range. With a 1" depth, the battery holder would not fit inside the box. How are you solving the power supply position? A link to your LED supplier?

Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #24
I'm using a 12V wall transformer to power the LED's. I wired the LED's directly to the transformer leads and used an in-line lamp switch for on/off. I've done others using a remote controller but they didn't want anything that "fancy" for this one. I thought about going the battery route but wanted to stay with inexpensive 12V lights and didn't want to deal with the issue with handling the batteries and making them easily reachable.

Here's a link to the LED's I'm using bought from Amazon.

I just realized when inserting the link above that they sell a "non-waterproof" version of these lights that are cheaper and don't look to have the covering that interfered with the connectors. May want to look at those!

Bought the remotes on Amazon as well, ship free from China and received them in about 10 days for less than $7 each. E-Goal Mini LED Controller Dimmer with RF Wireless Remote Control DC 5~24V 12A R107 With E-Goal Ribbon: Musical Instruments

Old 01-11-2015, 09:40 AM   #25
Here's the most recent Lithopane I put together. This one for a friend of my son. Shows pictures of her as a little girl with her dad- the pictures were a bit blurry so pretty happy with how it turned out. Mounted them in a frame made of cherry. I used the non-waterproof LED's I found in my last post, much easier to use.

And here's a close up with it lit up.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #26
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Here's the most recent Lithopane I put together.
Those are such incredible unique and personalized gifts to give someone. I'm sure they are both surprised and very appreciative.

I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is online now   Reply With Quote