Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I am a few years younger than T-Al, and look MUCH younger
I bet you've been studying that Dale Carnegie course again.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Urban RVing, hybrid with a mean watchdog riding shotgun. Reason number 4,728 why I don't camp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5605.jpg (477.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5606.jpg (547.2 KB, 1 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:59 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just checked RV rentals from Cruise America. It is about $131 a day for a 14 day rental. This included a $448 for 1,400 miles. I assume it does not include gas. When we travel we normally stay in Quality Inns, Hampton Inns, or Holiday Inns. We normally pay less than that.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:08 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I just checked RV rentals from Cruise America. It is about $131 a day for a 14 day rental. This included a $448 for 1,400 miles. I assume it does not include gas. When we travel we normally stay in Quality Inns, Hampton Inns, or Holiday Inns. We normally pay less than that.
I don't think you rent an RV for cost savings. You rent one to make sure you really do want to buy one.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:12 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Absolutely.

As has been said many times, an RV is rarely a money-saving travel option unless you're willing to give up a lot in creature comforts and go with something cheap inexpensive:

Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Rustic, I'll be a lone voice here, but I do not thing renting an RV is a good way to judge whether you like the lifestyle. One's lack of familiarity with the RV and the usual routines is next to nothing and the chores surrounding this type of lifestyle can seem daunting at first but become trivial over a few months of use. Also, you usually get to sample only one a few different settings at most. The cost is very high as you discovered and the condition of the RVs is highly unpredictable., both chassis and coach.

Unfortunately, the only alternative is to do a ton of research on the web and with local RV groups. Take test drives, visit different dealers. If you are still intrigued, I'd take the plunge and buy used (like REW did; I bought new mostly because the exact rig I wanted was on a very deep recession discount).

II guess a rental experience can teach you a lot, but as mentioned it may be artificially negative.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We just returned from a trip to the PacNW and couldn't take the MH due to time constraints. DW remarked on more than one occasion, "If we were in the MH I could buy that!" No way to get all those 'road bargains' in your checked or carry-on bags.
Yet another way to save money!!!

So, how was your trip (asks I, pulling the thread off topic)?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #48

Oh, I forgot to mention the guy who RV'd for 6 years with his wife I swim with said he got something like 7 miles per gallon. Gas cost is ridiculous in an RV. It's just not my thang I guess.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #49
Administrator

If cheap travel is the goal here and this is a one time trip than sleep cheaps and a cooler may be a good option. If you think you may do this again... I would consider a light weight travel trailer (not a motorhome). I have one that weighs 2400 lbs and is 20 feet long. While I have to tow it, it doesn't really impact fuel milage much and affords me immense freedom. One of my pet peeves is having to wait for a 3 PM check-in when I need to sleep NOW!

Trailers are cheaper to keep on the road than motorhomes and in your 20K price range you could get a really great used high-end trailer and are nudging into the new price range. The big question is would you use it again?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #50

Quote:
I wonder if this rate varies with the season. A FIREd person could just as easily rent in October as July.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Recent 42 day trip experiences
Old 07-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Recent 42 day trip experiences

We bought a 28ft Travel trailer in 2007 and have spent about 80 days camping in it so far. I did not ESR till 2008 so our ability to travel has only just begun. We have two kids so our trips are planned around school. The rest of the time it is parked at the Lake house and used as a Red-neck extra bedroom (I do live in Tennessee) and that has actually worked out well for visitors. That said an RV even when used this way is probably not a true savings but can maybe be break even.

We did just get back from a 42 day trip out West pulling the trailer and it was a great trip. 8300 miles (Not all miles were pulling the trailer since we made day trips to many attractions) , 22 national parks and monuments, many State Parks and towns we wanted to see. The freedom to stay longer and wherever we wanted was really great and the kids loved it. I did share in the cooking and cleaning as did the whole family. It ws a great family trip and a good teaching opportunity for the kids.

Total cost of that trip including fuel, campsites, food, entertainment, and park fees with the annual card purchase was about $3500 and I do not think we could have done that for the same price in a car and motels for four. Good Sam rated sites all above 7.5 in each area averaged about $30 per night for full hookups. Campgrounds out West are very plentiful and there are also many opportunities to boon-dock.

With kids it is a great way to travel and for longer trips it makes them easier and more enjoyable for the way we like to travel. The key is what do you like to do and that will help make the decision. RVing is definitely not camping as Rich said it is really a Condo on wheels. It makes the travel days very nice since you just find a rest area and pull over. With a generator and your on board water you have power, bathroom, and the ability to prepare a good healthy lunch from the frig or freezer. We had many enjoyable stops this way.

Renting may be a good way to test the waters or better go with someone thats has an RV or borrow it if possible. The info the can provide you will make the experience much more enjoyable.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
If cheap travel is the goal here and this is a one time trip than sleep cheaps and a cooler may be a good option. If you think you may do this again... I would consider a light weight travel trailer (not a motorhome). I have one that weighs 2400 lbs and is 20 feet long. While I have to tow it, it doesn't really impact fuel milage much and affords me immense freedom. One of my pet peeves is having to wait for a 3 PM check-in when I need to sleep NOW!
Good advice.

Seems to me a trailer and motorhome serve different purposes, despite overlap. The former is great for occasional trips, days to a week or 10 days typically (at least that's how we used ours, as did most of our trailer friends).

OTOH, if you hope to hunker down for longer than that, the MH has more creature comforts, storage, and space, at greater cost.

Yuu can use either one for any trip (esp if you are solo), but it seems to me that's where the sweet spots are.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #53

If you aren't trading in any vehicles, then the $20,000 RV purchase has to be overcome in addition to any savings you might get by boondocking, etc. The break-even might never be reached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillNOVA View Post
I am sure this has already been discussed, but I am trying to make a decision. I am looking at purchasing a used RV, maybe a class B, around $20K. My DW and I would like to do some traveling around the U.S. One thing we have talked about is driving RT 50 across the country. I am trying to figure out which makes more financial cents. If we get an RV, how much do they charge per night to stay in a camp ground, an average? Would it be just as good to stay at a Days Inn or Motel 6 for one night stays and at a B&B for the longer stays? I am sure someone has done both and has an opinion. Give me some feed back to help with my decision. Thanks
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I used to think negatively of RV'ing. But now, as I have ER'ed, I am intrigued by the different styles of travel this presents. Note the plural sense styles.

Temperature in Phoenix will hit 114 today. I am finishing up some work, then heading up to my high country retreat to continue contemplating this RV question, in addition to other things. REW, why aren't you filling up your class A and headed to Canada?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We just returned from a trip to the PacNW and couldn't take the MH due to time constraints. DW remarked on more than one occasion, "If we were in the MH I could buy that!" No way to get all those 'road bargains' in your checked or carry-on bags.
Find a post office -- ship it home. Go buy more stuff!

-- Rita
Old 07-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Temperature in Phoenix will hit 114 today. I am finishing up some work, then heading up to my high country retreat to continue contemplating this RV question, in addition to other things. REW, why aren't you filling up your class A and headed to Canada?
If we decide to remain in Texas, we may take up this lifestyle when I retire. That or arrange for a regular summer housing rental somewhere cooler.

I like living here most of the time (oh yeah, REW -- the chiggers, the fire ants, the scorpions...), but there's no way I can stay here for life unless I can flee the summers for many weeks at a time.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 07-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I used to think negatively of RV'ing. But now, as I have ER'ed, I am intrigued by the different styles of travel this presents. Note the plural sense styles.

Temperature in Phoenix will hit 114 today. I am finishing up some work, then heading up to my high country retreat to continue contemplating this RV question...
Yes, the "rolling condo" option was appealing to us. You can return to the same locale or change it visit by visit.

One of the administrators here asked about my vacation, and I told her where we went without mentioning the motor home. She said that for her the perfect retirement would be a home here in Tampa, plus a second home in the Smokies, but she wasn't eager to maintain two homes, might feel obliged to use it all the time if she owned it but wanted to branch out, etc. etc. I then told her what we were doing and underwent several minutes of, "Really? Hmmm..."

In the end, it's just another leisure option. Works for us, not for everyone.

The non-migratory point of view
Old 07-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

The non-migratory point of view

Those who are able to enjoy each of four moderate but distinct seasons every year could find that to be a huge advantage in retirement. Think of how much money can be saved as a consequence, as well as the variety of leisure time activities/experiences associated with each season.

I still contend that retirees can pay to have someone mow in the blistering heat of summer, and shovel snow on grey, cold wintery days.

For those who can enjoy four moderate seasons and choose to live in a part of the country with a moderate climate, there is no need for two homes, extensive travel, or a big RV to maintain. At home one can enjoy swimming and boating to keep cool in the summer, and cuddling up in a blanket by a warm fireplace or taking up cooking and baking to keep warm in the winter.

I know, I know, different strokes for different folks - - - but for me, home sweet home is where I want to be.

Will I feel differently about this later on in life? Who knows, and if I do then you can say, "Told you so!"

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Find a post office -- ship it home. Go buy more stuff!
I suggested that. She's of the opinion it loses too many style points in execution.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I still contend that retirees can pay to have someone mow in the blistering heat of summer, and shovel snow on grey, cold wintery days.
Sure, but they may not want to feel like Mother Nature is keeping them under house arrest until the brutal cold/hot season is over. Some people like being outdoors, and it can feel like a prison sentence when the weather doesn't allow it for months at a time. And there are a lot of people out here who are going stir crazy and exhibiting signs of cabin fever until it cools off...