Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Forget the move. I don't think Rich_in_Brooksville will cut it as a screename...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

We are currently looking at a 55+ "resort" in St George, UT as our next living destination. The homes run from 1100-2900 sq. ft. and all on one level. There are two community golf courses, indoor and outdoor pool, fitness center, Rec. building, yard and exterior maintenance etc. and storage for RVs. All this comes at a price as well as steep HOA dues but the attraction for us is the community itself with all the activities yet the freedom of having your own home. The yard and exterior maintainence would allow us to travel without as much worry as we have now with the snow and sub-freezing temperatures. It also forces us to really downsize yet keep the stuff we really want and still have space for it all.

We have considered other areas that have similar amenities but are not age restricted. The issue there for us is the lack of true community because of all the folks still w*rking. The 55+ community gives up more options to meet people and do things at our pace or do our own thing as we see fit. It also eliminates the issues with yard apes and wanna-be basketball playing kids bouncing balls all hours of the day nad night. Peace and quiet but the ability to do what we want when we want is what we are looking for right now. We have had our fill of snobby neighborhoods where we don't even know the folks two houses away after 5 years there; everyone is just so isolated and into themselves.

I tried the city life but hated it. Too far in the sticks is also not my cup of tea so we are looking for a nice community with four seasons, no humidity, no tornados, no huricanes and little or no snow or ice. Summers we will be traveling so the heat won't be an issue and besides, that is what AC and pools are for. DW can't do winter much longer and it is taking a toll on my joints and back as well. St George also puts us a day from kids and grandkids and a day from extended family in Calif. Oh, and two hours from Las Vegas. It also gives us a good jumping off place for I-15, I-5, I-40 or I-70 for our RV trips.

Time will tell but we also see this move as a temporary one. We can always move if we don't like it.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:04 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
We are currently looking at a 55+ "resort" in St George, UT as our next living destination. The homes run from 1100-2900 sq. ft. and all on one level. There are two community golf courses, indoor and outdoor pool, fitness center, Rec. building, yard and exterior maintenance etc. and storage for RVs. All this comes at a price as well as steep HOA dues but the attraction for us is the community itself with all the activities yet the freedom of having your own home. The yard and exterior maintainence would allow us to travel without as much worry as we have now with the snow and sub-freezing temperatures. It also forces us to really downsize yet keep the stuff we really want and still have space for it all.

We have considered other areas that have similar amenities but are not age restricted. The issue there for us is the lack of true community because of all the folks still w*rking. The 55+ community gives up more options to meet people and do things at our pace or do our own thing as we see fit. It also eliminates the issues with yard apes and wanna-be basketball playing kids bouncing balls all hours of the day nad night. Peace and quiet but the ability to do what we want when we want is what we are looking for right now. We have had our fill of snobby neighborhoods where we don't even know the folks two houses away after 5 years there; everyone is just so isolated and into themselves.

I tried the city life but hated it. Too far in the sticks is also not my cup of tea so we are looking for a nice community with four seasons, no humidity, no tornados, no huricanes and little or no snow or ice. Summers we will be traveling so the heat won't be an issue and besides, that is what AC and pools are for. DW can't do winter much longer and it is taking a toll on my joints and back as well. St George also puts us a day from kids and grandkids and a day from extended family in Calif. Oh, and two hours from Las Vegas. It also gives us a good jumping off place for I-15, I-5, I-40 or I-70 for our RV trips.

Time will tell but we also see this move as a temporary one. We can always move if we don't like it.
SteveR,

Particularly, if you have never lived in a community governed by a Home Owners Association (HOA) be sure that you read ALL of the governing documents (e.g. Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, Rules and Regs, etc.) before you buy. This way you will not be surprised by all of the things you can't do and things that the HOA can make you do. I live in an HOA and find that the restrictions are worth the benefits, but there are lots of folks here who get very upset when they realize that they should have read the documents BEFORE they moved in. HOA's are like mini - local governments but without any of the protections of the two party system and without the familiar due process protections. Be sure you can live with that.

Grumpy
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
SteveR,

Particularly, if you have never lived in a community governed by a Home Owners Association (HOA) be sure that you read ALL of the governing documents (e.g. Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, Rules and Regs, etc.) before you buy. This way you will not be surprised by all of the things you can't do and things that the HOA can make you do. I live in an HOA and find that the restrictions are worth the benefits, but there are lots of folks here who get very upset when they realize that they should have read the documents BEFORE they moved in. HOA's are like mini - local governments but without any of the protections of the two party system and without the familiar due process protections. Be sure you can live with that.

Grumpy
I agree, and there are also few checks and balances as we have in our typical three branch government. I don't know if it's something that could be fought, but our architecture committee changed some of the rules about landscaping (especially cutting trees to improve views). So the same group enforcing the rules is also making them. That's pretty dangerous.

On the other hand, we don't have rusted out junkers sitting in any front lawns, so that's nice.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:34 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys but I am very aware of HOA rules and requirements as I have lived with them for 10 years and am currently under two HOAs; one for my home and one for my RV lot. I attend our HOA meetings and voice my opinion on topics that are near and dear to me.

We have already requested a copy of the HOA documents for review before we buy in the area.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:01 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

btw, I've heard great things about the St. George area, especially if you like the outdoors.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:19 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Welcome to Gallagher's Canyon - The best of Kelowna and Okanagan real estate.

Here's a similar resort that I would love to live in. It's approximately 10 minutes from a medium sized city and an international airport. Properties are currently priced from $500K up.
Wow they are awful proud of those places.
I have for sale ( which I just bought) for about 1/3
the price of these places. Brick 4 bdrm, 4 bth ( 2 half)
2500 sqft, 1500 sqft basement, 1 acre lot, 2 car garage, paved country road 2 miles from walmart, 8 months a year of golf weather in Mountains of Tennessee.
35 miles from University of Tennessee. A couple miles from public golf course, Tennessee river, and Tellico golf resort ( 3 golf courses, one has 800 yard par 6). Property taxes 700 a year.That or small 2 bdrm house in Florida, Vero Beach, with empty lots on both sides, My parent have lived in it since new and I have paid it off twice, which ever sells first. My parents will live in the other. I prefer if the house in Florida sells first so
I don't have to worry about them when I retire with the Hurricanes.
I have not lived in U.S. in 20 years but one of the places will be where I can leave a few belongings while I travel the world.
I was to retire in about 15 days but was extended another 90 days. Hope I get extended the rest of the year
as the guys that work for me owe me a few months work
that they were already paid for.
wcv56 is offline   Reply With Quote