Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Could you go back to work again?
Old 08-29-2005, 03:52 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Man overboard!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2005, 08:14 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
MJ,
Gigolo on cruise ships. The cruise lines pay men to travel as dance partners. The single older women onboard have killed off a husband or two so be careful. Pace yourself
OAP, you have been watching the movies again, The Odd Couple Walter and Jack played dance partners looking for rich women in "Out to Sea". "Handsome" Walter seems to always get paired with older sex goddesses. Dyan Cannon was pretty hot for a 60 year old. Plastic surgery does wonders.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Just make sure it is not a gay cruise....unless that floats your boat.
Like I said, you do what you gotta do. Wink Wink .
Old 08-29-2005, 08:28 PM   #24

It took me a year to adjust. Adjustment was slow, but I get better every day. I am content. I could go back, if necessary, but would hate it. I know, never say never, but, let's try..... ne... nev.. neve. Whew! This is tough. Back to the wine.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:53 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Zipper,

Short and succinct -- you expressed my view exactly!

Robert
Old 08-30-2005, 04:16 AM   #26

Could you go back, etc., etc., of course not. Questions like this suggest that you haven't committed yourself to ER and are still fraidy-scared of what might happen... take the plunge.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:55 AM   #27

HFWR, LMAOROTF.

MJ, Yeah plastic surgery is what I'd need also to keep the gals happy. But instead of finding ways to make money, find some ways to live large at no cost.

1. Eat meals via grocery store samples. Yesterday at WholeFoods: Samples were grapes, water melon cubes, crackers with pesto, cheese and crackers, chips with salsa. Lunch on the house.

2. Travel: Get on public transport and ride around for a few hours. Pretend it's a bus tour of Belgium or Peru.

3. Buy all your clothes from a Goodwill or Salvation Army store. If you go to an upscale neighborhood, you can find lots of yuppie castoffs.

4. Cut your own hair. Get a used set of clippers and spacers from a 2nd hand shop. #6 spacer on top, #4 on the transition and #3 on the sider, no spacer at the ears and back. You'll look like Brad Pitt after a few attempts.

5. Save everything: Chinese take-out always includes fork, spoon, napkins, soy, re-usable containers. Save cash register receipts, staple 10 together, turn them over and you have a note pad. Old socks with holes make great wash clothes and mittens.

6. Watch TV at Circuit City or Wal-Mart for free. Same for music.

7. Exercise at Sport Mart or Sears. Treadmill, weights, rowing, all free.

8. Get rid of your car. Tell the neighbors it's in the shop. And if they don't mind could you catch a lift when they are going shopping or into town. Hitch hike.

This should help save you from resorting to being a gigolo on a gay cruise ship!
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:04 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner

4. Cut your own hair. Get a used set of clippers and spacers from a 2nd hand shop. #6 spacer on top, #4 on the transition and #3 on the sider, no spacer at the ears and back. You'll look like Brad Pitt after a few attempts.

I think MJ shaves his head. Symbol of frugality?

I cut DH's hair, have for years. Too scared to have him try to cut mine.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:51 AM   #29

Quote:
MJ, Yeah plastic surgery is what I'd need also to keep the gals happy.
I didn't say I needed it, besides I don't think I can improve on, well you know....

Quote:
1. Eat meals via grocery store samples. Yesterday at WholeFoods: Samples were grapes, water melon cubes, crackers with pesto, cheese and crackers, chips with salsa. Lunch on the house.
When I'm in the area, I do go to a well known upscale appetizer store offering some free samples, but it's only enough for a nice snack.

Quote:
2. Travel: Get on public transport and ride around for a few hours. Pretend it's a bus tour of Belgium or Peru.
I ride my bicycle everywhere. it's kinda like touring an old city.

Quote:
3. Buy all your clothes from a Goodwill or Salvation Army store. If you go to an upscale neighborhood, you can find lots of yuppie castoffs.
In my area, you can get better deals when new clothing is on sale.

Quote:
I have been shaving my head a la Yul Brunner , Kojac, for several years. I found Wilkenshire double edge blades cheap for .79 a pack. I still have several double edge Gillette shavers.

Quote:
5. Save everything: Chinese take-out always includes fork, spoon, napkins, soy, re-usable containers. Save cash register receipts, staple 10 together, turn them over and you have a note pad. Old socks with holes make great wash clothes and mittens.
Do that already.

Quote:
7. Exercise at Sport Mart or Sears. Treadmill, weights, rowing, all free.
I use my local park to do over an hour of hard bicycling daily. I have a free membership to the Park's department recreation center where I can use their excercise facility, compliments of the taxpayers (me).

Quote:
8. Get rid of your car. Tell the neighbors it's in the shop. And if they don't mind could you catch a lift when they are going shopping or into town. Hitch hike.
I haven't don't that yet. I wish I had suspended my insurance the last 4 years. I would have saved almost $4k. As I said I ride my bicycle to get around everywhere including shopping. I even visit my Dad weekly who lives about 20 miles away.

Quote:
This should help save you from resorting to being a gigolo on a gay cruise ship!
Not if it's a gay cruise ship for lesbians. Maybe I can show them the long and straight path to another nirvana. "Fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you, la la la la la"
Old 08-30-2005, 01:34 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
Hmmm.* I would think the reason people would want to ER is to do something good for themselves and their family, possibly even friends and community.* IOW, focus on ER with a positive mental attitude.

I don't think I'd want to have the attitude of "dropping out" so I could "screw them all" (whoever "all" are).* I don't know how you would ever not worry about paying a bill, unless you're on some type of guaranteed disability or living with your parents who are supporting you, but good health or bad health we are all destined to die, so boiling your mind in revenge stew is probably worse for your health and sanity than trying to enjoy each remaining minute of life.
Retire@40, you would appear more empathic if you took the time to learn something about whoever you are going off on.

Live with pain and disability a while, then reconsider your admonitions.

Ha
Old 08-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #31

Quote:

Ha
So this is why you act like a jackass.

Ok. I was wondering.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:08 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
So this is why you act like a jackass.*

Ok.* I was wondering.
LOL. No, wrong again. But at least you can spell jackass.

Ha
Old 08-30-2005, 02:14 PM   #33

Quote:
LOL. No, wrong again. But at least you can spell jackass.

Ha
You just essentially said you'd act vindictive due to living with pain and disability, but OK, whatever you say, chief!

Azanon
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:35 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You just essentially said you'd act vindictive due to living with pain and disability, but OK, whatever you say, chief!

Azanon
Just to help me, could you quote where I said that? The poster whom I quoted, was in turn quoting and speaking to another poster who suffers from a very painful mishap with statins and I believe rhabdomyolysis.

I felt that he should not be lectured about his attitude toward ER.

I still feel that way.

Ha
Old 08-30-2005, 07:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Retire@40, you would appear more empathic if you took the time to learn something about whoever you are going off on.

Whether in sickness or in health, I don't believe a negative philosophy of "screw them all" is a desirable attitude to have and probably detracts rather than contributes to one's struggle to heal.

By the way, your assumption that I have never lived with pain is a wrong assumption. It's actually part of the reason for my desire to RE.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:02 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
By the way, your assumption that I have never lived with pain is a wrong assumption.* It's actually part of the reason for my desire to RE.
I am sorry that you have suffered. I hope I didn't offend.

H
Old 08-31-2005, 12:09 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Often a challenge in life can focus one on what is important. My daughter's disability has taught DW and I what is truly important, and after learning that lesson, I cam across this site. Our time is a gift, I am dang sure I don't want my last day on earth spent in a cube!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:54 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM
If it was necesary for you to go back to work for whatever reason, Would you be able to find a job that pays near what you used to earn prior to ER?
I'm a firm believer that the desire to avoid having to go back to work is what provides the original ER motivation.

It's been three years since my last paycheck. Are we indexing these comparisons for inflation?

After looking around at the job market for the last three years, my answer would have to be "No." I'd be earning a lot more if I went back to work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
This would only work if you were not employed by the cruise line. They have pretty strict rules on horizontal dancing with the paying guests. If you go on your own, then you can do what you want. Wait for a good last minute deal and then go for it.
You guys need to check out your customers. Frankly the cruise line's "vertical only" policy could be a lifesaver at 1 AM. Or are you referring to some other sort of "good last minute deal"?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:34 PM   #39

Quote:

Azanon
I admit that I would be vindictive, critical, controlling, overbearing,
egomaniacal, sarcastic and insensitive, even if I was not living with
pain and disability. However, doubt I would go back to work even if it
was a real option for me. It's not, so that's that. One less
decision to weigh..............that's putting the positive spin on it.
Obviously I would prefer to still have the option.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote