Countries That Are Failing To Save For Retirement

savory

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The report, which surveyed over 15,000 consumers across 15 global markets, suggests that the average American will exhaust their state and occupational pension funds 14 years into retirement, leaving them vulnerable to the threat of longer-term care costs. This also reflects a global trend, as while the international average retirement length is now 18 years, the corresponding amount of savings is expected to last for just a decade.

Read more: Countries That Are Failing To Save For Retirement

I checked this list of countries against the Heritage Foundation Economic Freedom Index and it appears to have no correlation. So letting capitalism flourish appears not to have a bearing on whether the populace saves for their own retirement.

Compulsory Saving is an interesting topic of which I have not fully considered the pros and cons of its societal impact. Social Security appears to be a form of 'compulsory Saving', but a lightweight one compared to Singapore's Central Provident Fund.

I suppose the concept of compulsory saving is similar to the various universal health care schemes around the world. Universal health care is conceptually supposed to reduce the 'have versus have not' health differences, thus providing a boost to social peace and stability. The same could be said for the various compulsory saving schemes, as having a large percentage of the population destitute does not bode well for maintaining civil order.

Back
Top Bottom