Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lived outside of a small town for nearly 4 years. Small hospital in town. Everything was really nice, until I had a heart attack on a Sunday. Oh,oh, no local cardiologist available on weekends-who knew? Helicoptered to major regional hospital-took nearly 45 min., and cost $21k (insurance paid, whew!). Could easily have checked out during the wait.

Lesson learned. Moved closer in (large hospital now 5-6 min. away). Decided I could handle a little noise and closer neighbors....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I lucked out and found a one story ranch on an unusually large lot in the rear of a subdivision full of retirees right in town. It's very quiet, backs up to the woods, and is 5 minutes to Taco Bell I can hear the interstate but I also have a barred owl in the woods behind my house. Unfortunately, I do not own the woods but I'm working on that. Oh and the house is wheelchair friendly in case that ever becomes an issue. I could not live in the country as you say, but I am single. Perhaps if I had a partner if would be more appealing.
Seems like the big question is will the city come to you over the years? Would it be a hardship for family to visit often if they needed to? I am 55 and already do not like to drive at night in rural areas.
Those rowdy kids will grow up. Supposedly my neighborhood was full of kids 25 years ago.
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Lived outside of a small town for nearly 4 years. Small hospital in town. Everything was really nice, until I had a heart attack on a Sunday. Oh,oh, no local cardiologist available on weekends-who knew? Helicoptered to major regional hospital-took nearly 45 min., and cost $21k (insurance paid, whew!). Could easily have checked out during the wait.

Lesson learned. Moved closer in (large hospital now 5-6 min. away). Decided I could handle a little noise and closer neighbors....
Certainly a risk for living in the boonies. If I die because I live out here, well, I won't be the first. I'll take the risk. It is worth it to me. If I get too old to manage by myself, then maybe a CCRC kind of place in the city and close to DD.

There is one family out here that includes kids, parents, grand parents, and a great grand parent! Another couple are in their 80's.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:33 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

We lived in a town for the first 7 years of married life (where we grew up). EVERYTHING was within 5 min. We went out a lot and socialized all the time. We then moved to the country. 20 min to everything. 10 min to grocery. 3 min to mom and pop. 3 min to a few local eating places (pizza and diner type). We don't go out often, especially when it would mean 30-40 min drive coming home late at night. We have been here 31 years now.

So now wondering how long we will be able to stay. Yard chores pile up quickly and are slow to get done. Bedroom is on 2nd floor. Ambulance is fairly close. Police may or may not come if there is an issue here in the "boonies". I turn 60 and hubby turns 66 soon. I think about adding a 1st floor master or moving to a ranch in the area. ..but I LOVE my house/yard/privacy. Moving into town would mean leaving life long friends and our church. What happens if one of us can no longer drive...

It is a dilemma to be sure and a bit scary. I would NOT move to an area like this in my later years. Moving back sounds great, but in an emergency situation when someone is ill or disabled, it isn't easy to do.
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:03 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Go for it. You only live once and living in a dream house is something many never get to enjoy. Perhaps in 20 yrs you’ll need to move back to somewhere with more amenities; but then you’d still have lived for decades in your dream home.

And Perhaps you get very ill next year and need regular care near a hospital. But do you want to make decisions based on worst case scenarios?
Old 11-23-2017, 04:35 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW and I live in a great suburban town N of Detroit and 10 years ago, bought land near Logan, Ohio, a town of ~8000 and in the Hocking Hills State Park area to build a future RE home on. As we approached RE, we realized that we would miss the shopping and service convenience of where we live now, plus great medical care, friends, etc., so we sold the land.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:30 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireSoon View Post
It's really hard to think about passing on it at this point but the "20 minutes from anything" especially as we age is the big and perhaps only hesitation - especially with a DW that had a near fatal heart attack a few years back and for that reason distance to medical facilities is definitely a very strong consideration..
Sorry, but I think your apparently single “con” reason not to move to a remote-ish location like the one you want is a life or death situation and therefore is stronger than all of your “pro” reasons. Your wife is probably statistically more likely to suffer another heart attack or have further health issues, and her health probably always on her mind. If she is not perfectly comfortable with the location you think is otherwise perfect (although you’ve already touched in the unauthorized ATV etc use of “the trail” near you—this would be a huge “con” for me), then I would keep looking. Perhaps you just need a second getaway home. But there is nothing keeping you from moving away from the neighborhood you luve in now to a quieter and more private house—why have you not moved from there already?
Old 11-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireSoon View Post
Anyone know how to check flight paths for nearby airports? We've been on the property several times now including tonight and keep hearing and seeing small planes (props) flying around - not necessarily right overhead but nearby enough to be annoying.
I don't know if the other suggestions will work for single-engine private planes but one that will if you have the time is simply to visit the airport(s) and ask what the common flight patterns/altitudes are. Second is to call on the phone, but that may result in confusion if you don't know the area well.

The last thing they want is for some guy to buy a property near the airport and then start complaining about airplane noise so they're likely to be very upfront about the information you seek.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I don't know if the other suggestions will work for single-engine private planes but one that will if you have the time is simply to visit the airport(s) and ask what the common flight patterns/altitudes are. .
+1

And take a printout of a Google map of the airport and surrounding area, including your property. They can draw in the flight patterns, much better than trying to describe them.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:05 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Sorry, but I think your apparently single “con” reason not to move to a remote-ish location like the one you want is a life or death situation and therefore is stronger than all of your “pro” reasons. Your wife is probably statistically more likely to suffer another heart attack or have further health issues, and her health probably always on her mind. If she is not perfectly comfortable with the location you think is otherwise perfect (although you’ve already touched in the unauthorized ATV etc use of “the trail” near you—this would be a huge “con” for me), then I would keep looking. Perhaps you just need a second getaway home. But there is nothing keeping you from moving away from the neighborhood you luve in now to a quieter and more private house—why have you not moved from there already?
To add on. Our last home was 8 minutes away from two different level 2 trauma centers. In 2013 I had issues that might suggest heart problems, chest pain, dizzy, numbness in my left arm(57 yo male prior heart issues). I go to the one my heath insurance suggests.

I don't know much, but I told them my IV(stub) was screwed up for three days. The third day when they went to use it, it didn't work.

My buddies wife bleed to death in a hospital after a tubal ligation. They tried telling him it was she needed a transfusion and because she was Asian(they didn't have Asian blood) it wouldn't work! The surgeon cut a vein instead of tube. She was surrounded by a bunch of confused people when she passed.

Point is, unless you want a top ER in your backyard, how do you know what's going to happen. Even if you do, one human mistake and......
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

We are about 20 minutes away from any grocery store or shopping or doctor's, etc. Closest hospital is about 30 minutes. Doctors we actually see are at least 30 minutes. Closest mall is about 40 minutes.

We do have one gas station with convenience store that is 12 minutes away.

And, I hate it. We live in an acreage subdivision (all houses on at least 1 acre). It takes 5 minutes to even drive out of the subdivision. We have an HOA but it is reasonable in restrictions. Like many people here, we own here due to pets.

I like our house. I actually more than like it. The subdivision is beautiful. I was amazed to find a house that I liked so much just as is.

But, 20 minutes to go to any grocery store is a killer. Oh, we can occasionally get there in 18 minutes. But all of the constant driving is terrible. DH is 70 and I am 63. We are in good health and have no problem driving.

But, I keep thinking of my mom who is 93 and still living on her own. She manages because she is close to the major places that she goes. Doctors are too far away but there is a service in her county that will take people to and from the doctor. That is great. But, she lives in a city.

DH is totally fine now with his driving. But, will he be in 10 years? Maybe I will be fine then and he won't but I don't like the idea of having to do all the driving.

Of course, we can sell at that time and move. But, I think of how exhausting it will be to have to sell and move 10 years from now.

In our case, it isn't like there well even slowly be lots of stores and stuff around us. These are residential areas where people have large lots (sometimes many acres). I just don't see that kind of building close to us occurring any time soon. We've been here 5 years and the only improvement is that one grocery store.

So -- we are going to move. We are going to do it sooner rather than later, probably in the next 2 years. We want to have at least the daily shopping available within 10 minutes. We also want to be a bit closer to amenities so we can get more services. Grocery stores deliver in some areas -- but not here. We do get one pizza delivery here. But, that is about it. Other restaurants we are outside their service area.

Again, I think about when one of us are older or has health problems or would get tired with driving literally everywhere. Good shopping is about 40 minutes away (great shopping is an hour and a half). Again, fine for now...but not later.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
To add on. Our last home was 8 minutes away from two different level 2 trauma centers. In 2013 I had issues that might suggest heart problems, chest pain, dizzy, numbness in my left arm(57 yo male prior heart issues). I go to the one my heath insurance suggests.

I don't know much, but I told them my IV(stub) was screwed up for three days. The third day when they went to use it, it didn't work.

My buddies wife bleed to death in a hospital after a tubal ligation. They tried telling him it was she needed a transfusion and because she was Asian(they didn't have Asian blood) it wouldn't work! The surgeon cut a vein instead of tube. She was surrounded by a bunch of confused people when she passed.

Point is, unless you want a top ER in your backyard, how do you know what's going to happen. Even if you do, one human mistake and......
I totally understand this. And I also know of someone who bled out and died in the hospital post-op when a top surgeon nicked a vein during routine surgery. We happen to be close enough to docs and a hospital that DH could drag me on foot by the hair if needed, but we don’t have existing medical conditions at the moment that would require that, and we didn’t move here almost 40 years ago because of that.

OP’s wife otoh apparently survived her heart attack only because medical care was so close, so for me that would be the prime decision factor that would outweigh all others—is a new place close to the cardio services she is probably at least statistically more likely to need than most people?
Old 11-24-2017, 07:42 PM   #73
gone traveling

You won’t like country living when you need chemotherapy.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

My grandparents moved to town after my grandfather had 2 heart attacks. He died after his 3rd while out for a walk 3 minutes from the hospital. Distance to a hospital has no bearing where I live. My 20 minutes now is close enough. Same for a grocery store - 20 minutes is close enough.

But the property maintenance will eventually be the reason for me to move to town. I would probably have 20 hours less of property maintenance per week if I lived in town. And less aches and pains. At some point, it’s going to be physically difficult to do all of the yard and house work.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

We live ONE MILE away from THREE major hospitals and several clinics. One mid-week drive from our house to the nearest hospital at exactly 5 PM took me 30, yes 30, minutes due to college students leaving class and the usual "commuting" traffic flooding the streets. Fifteen years ago, this was a two lane road with nothing on this one mile stretch.

Believe it or not, new construction in the immediate area that includes an M.D. Anderson Cancer Center and a commercial and residential development by a Dallas developer will finally paralyze this area. This new stuff will be up by next summer.

I'll take country living over this anytime.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:32 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

I take it all back—OP should take his wife’s health issues out of the equation. Perhaps he should move even further out—once he drives the first fifteen miles he will obviously meet with crippling traffic anyway. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #77

You stated that this is your dream, but I am curious how your DW feels about it. Does she want to move further away from her family, charitable work and healthcare?

It sounds like you really want peace and quiet, but have already found out that you most likely won't have all the quiet that you prefer at the new location.

I would continue looking for your dream home closer to town. I would also buy a house that is already built and the houses around it are already up, so that you don't find yourself in the same situation that you are already in. Also, could you find a cabin that is in the country, that you could go to from time to time, to satisfy your dream?

I lived in the country part of the time as a child and I love living in the suburbs now. I like the convenience of having everything fairly close to me. If I want to spend time in nature, I go to the park.

My sister and her DH live out in the country. It is beautiful sitting out on her back patio. She is starting to complain about how long it takes to get anywhere and how much yard work there is. They just turned 69 yrs old. She stated that last week her DH had medical appointments 4 days. He is having some health issues.

I would not make any hasty decisions. Good luck deciding what you both want to do.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:27 AM   #78

A few years before I retired we sold what I thought would be the ultimate retirement property. We had owned it for about 12 years and have great memories from the weekends spent there with the kids. It was about 2 hours north of our home which put it within a half hour drive on a not crowded interstate to a small city with a good hospital and all the shopping we would have needed. It was 180 acres of mostly wooded property with about 1600' frontage on a beautiful clear sandy bottom river. Also had a 10 acre lake with 2-3 springs feeding it. Great hunting. The front of the property was along a state highway and had a 2500 square foot farm house. It would have needed some updating but was in good condition overall. There was also a barn built in 1860 in good shape. The property once had a plantation home on it but the house burnt down in the 1950s. There was the original detached cook house still there of about 1500 square feet. It was in fair condition but would have made a great photo studio, office, and small workshop for hobbies. It was also built in 1860. Unfortunately my wife didn't want to live so far from family and be so remote. We did sell the front 16 acres with the house and kept the remaining property for a few years thinking we would build a house along the lake. Then we were able to sell it for much more than twice what we paid for it.
There was quite a bit of work involved with a property that large.
I do miss it but it did give us the opportunity to do other things we wanted to do. Life goes on and sometimes what we dream of should just remain dreams.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:43 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

OP I really find your statements confusing especially because of the thread you started about the very high cost of custom home building and now picking apart every single thing about your lots in the country. What do you really want, you don't seem to know. Or perhaps you are just a chronic venter, and nothing will really please you.

Now you're worried about some small single airplane noise? What next...I think you are looking for nirvana and aren't going to find it. You give ten reasons why you want to move and then ten reasons why you can't find the perfect place. If you want perfect you might as well save your money and stay where you are, rather then buy, build and move and find out "perfection" is unattainable.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #80

When I read all this worry over a home's proximity to hospitals, I have to think about my great aunt and uncle. They lived on the homestead where DGU was born in the heart of Michigan's Upper Peninsula (Google Slapneck, Mich., if interested). He died in 2002 at age 87 at the house where he lived his entire life; his DW celebrated her 95th birthday shortly before she passed in 2010. She was driving from the farm to a nearby village for groceries on a regular basis up till a few weeks before she died.

If anybody had told them they should move to within hailing distance of a hospital, I'm sure they would have just laughed.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote