Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm a fan of the Chase Freedom card - 5% cash back on select categories that change every 3 months and 1% cash back on everything else. They're also running a promotion right now that gives you $200 cash back if you spend $1,000 in the first six months.

With the constant devaluation of airline points, this card was the best bang for the buck and least amount of hassle in my opinion.

jimday1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
(there was a 1.45% from Immigrant Direct a long time ago... don't know if it is still offered)...

Edit to add: Checked and it is only 1% at Immigrant Direct...
LOL!
I guess except for the ones lost in Bermuda Triangle, all the emigrants from somewhere are immigrants somewhere else.
Did you mean Emigrant Direct?

Back on the topic:
We Use
* Platinum Delta Amex, for three benefits: one free companion certificate per year, free first bag check in for up to 9 ppl and earning Delta Skymiles
* Amex Blue with 1.5% cash rebate
* When traveling internationally Capital One Master Card: roughly 1% cash reward, no international transaction fees.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It looks like the Chase Visa card co-branded with British Airways is back.
50,000 miles for signing up, with high bonus miles on every purchase.

British Airways Visa Signature® Card - British Airways
Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
It looks like the Chase Visa card co-branded with British Airways is back.
50,000 miles for signing up, with high bonus miles on every purchase.

British Airways Visa Signature® Card - British Airways

Just as an FYI, and maybe most people know this... you still have to pay the taxes on these 'free' flights... my sister went to London with another sister and I think they paid $500 in taxes... (IIRC, they flew through London to Amsterdam)....
Old 06-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
LOL!
I guess except for the ones lost in Bermuda Triangle, all the emigrants from somewhere are immigrants somewhere else.
Did you mean Emigrant Direct?

Back on the topic:
We Use
* Platinum Delta Amex, for three benefits: one free companion certificate per year, free first bag check in for up to 9 ppl and earning Delta Skymiles
* Amex Blue with 1.5% cash rebate
* When traveling internationally Capital One Master Card: roughly 1% cash reward, no international transaction fees.
Yep... got me there...
Old 06-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

We use a Chase Visa for Marriott points. Use the card for all everyday purchases and have 1-2 wonderful vacations each year...free. This year was Grand Cayman (Christmas/New Years) and JW in Tucson (Spring Break) Past years have been JW in Phoenix and Cancun, all during peak season and either free or upgrade with slight fee, all during peak season. I calculated that if I was given 2% back it would have covered about half of the price of these rooms.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:33 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

There are some websites out there that you enter your annual spending on a credit card and the amounts for various categories, whether you carry a balance or not, etc and it recommends cards that will maximize your rewards. I don't recall the websites but do recall learning about them in Money magazine.

I've used Discover Cash Rewards card for years and have been happy with it, but recently changed to Escape by Discover. While the Escape card has a $60 annual fee, it offers double points.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

We use the AMEX Green. We get 1%, low annual fee and no interest, though we are required to pay it off every month. My DW uses it for her business and we get all those points. We use it for all but grocery shopping and paying other bills. Easy to use the points. We use them for air travel. Just call AMEX and make a reservation.

We also have a Chase Southwest Airlines card too. Not sure how good of a deal, but we use Southwest a lot. We've scored about 11,000 points using the card for dealing with my FIL burial and estate, all reimbursed by the estate. We got it because we got two free Southwest flights and didn't have a credit card. Glad we did so. We didn't expect to use it except for emergencies, but then the FIL situation popped up. Glad we had the CC.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have an American Express Starwood Card. I have found GREAT VALUE in using it for hotes & resorts. I stayed at the Aruba Westin for 7 nights and it cost me 10,000 points a night & the 5th night was free (no points). It cost me 60,000 points! It would have cost me about 3000 dollars. This card can be used for airlines or hotels. BEST value in hotel. Gold member gets free upgrade. Annuel fee $65.