Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I would have said "OK, let's do some exciting, expensive things! And since you like spending - your treat!"

Could'a been fun until her money (credit) ran out? Then time for you to move on, she was no longer exciting enough!

-ERD50
She was plenty exciting. IRS Audit, Civil Court case, Major health problems with no insurance. I don't want to be that exciting.

I do think it's critical to be on the same page about finances but by the time you know all the gory details like credit score it's too late. A more reliable guide is how they manage their life. Everyone has a run of bad luck but at some point it all boils down to bad decisions.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This makes perfect sense to me. After I left my first wife in 1992 my girlfriend (who became wife #2) was instrumental in helping me financially over the first few years. Don't think I could have done it without her. I had a lot of baggage but she said it was worth it.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I would not be surprised that married couples have close to the same score.... more than likely it is due to one of them making sure the bills are paid etc. etc....
Yeah. my Ex had an awful credit score when we met. When I started taking over the bill-paying, I'd just tell him what his share was, he'd grumble at me and accuse me of exaggerating and write a check, and I paid everything on time.

In the end, though, it just improved his credit so he could get more cards to max out.

I have no idea what current DH's score was but we dated for 6 years before we married. I had plenty of time to see how he managed his finances and, while he had little savings, he had zero debt except for a mortgage on his house. Our credit scores may have been pretty close even though I made about twice what he did; our philosophies about money were similar and that was what was important. We've been happily married for 12 years so far!
Old 10-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #24

I too have an ex that was terrible with money. After the second date with my current (and wonderful!) DW, we agreed to share our credit reports if we made it to the 3 month point. We did share them with each other and are still together 10 years later...I couldn't be happier!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
After the second date with my current (and wonderful!) DW, we agreed to share our credit reports if we made it to the 3 month point. We did share them with each other and are still together 10 years later...I couldn't be happier!
What a great idea and testimony that it works!

omni
Old 10-05-2015, 11:22 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

My boyfriend and I didn't even learn our own credit scores until we applied for a car loan together 5 years into the relationship. His credit score turned out to be only 5 points higher than mine, and both scores were much higher than I would have guessed. Our finances were not intertwined at all before the car loan. The only reason we got the loan was to get some $1,000 financing credit. Since both of our names were going to be on the title, both of our names had to be on the loan. When we first started dating, we each thought the other made less money than we really did, so we didn't end up together because of the appearance of money and stuff.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #27

Yes, DW and I's credit scores tend to bounce around each other, within a 20 point band. This is interesting since, in theory, we should have identical scores after being married for 18 years.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #28

Ms.Gs prenup for me was a complete physical and dentist checkup. Since I had been living on my own for 12 before the wedding, she knew I could cook, clean, and do my own laundry. Soon to be a 35 year union.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:03 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Credit Scores are notoriously poor at predicting how loving someone is, how interesting they are, how fun or spontaneous they are or how generous they are with time & money. In fact, good credit scores may be negatively correlated with some of the more "fun" elements of a loving relationship. I would put credit score outside of the top ten things that make a relationship work.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

When DW and I met I had a terrible score and hers was perfect. I guess I'm glad to be an exception to the rule. Yes, I turned mine around and give her all of the credit!