Credit Score as Relationship Predictor

My boyfriend and I didn't even learn our own credit scores until we applied for a car loan together 5 years into the relationship. His credit score turned out to be only 5 points higher than mine, and both scores were much higher than I would have guessed. Our finances were not intertwined at all before the car loan. The only reason we got the loan was to get some $1,000 financing credit. Since both of our names were going to be on the title, both of our names had to be on the loan. When we first started dating, we each thought the other made less money than we really did, so we didn't end up together because of the appearance of money and stuff.

Yes, DW and I's credit scores tend to bounce around each other, within a 20 point band. This is interesting since, in theory, we should have identical scores after being married for 18 years.

Ms.Gs prenup for me was a complete physical and dentist checkup. Since I had been living on my own for 12 before the wedding, she knew I could cook, clean, and do my own laundry. Soon to be a 35 year union.

Credit Scores are notoriously poor at predicting how loving someone is, how interesting they are, how fun or spontaneous they are or how generous they are with time & money. In fact, good credit scores may be negatively correlated with some of the more "fun" elements of a loving relationship. I would put credit score outside of the top ten things that make a relationship work.

When DW and I met I had a terrible score and hers was perfect. I guess I'm glad to be an exception to the rule. Yes, I turned mine around and give her all of the credit!

Back
Top Bottom