Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Credit Score as Relationship Predictor
Old 10-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Credit Score as Relationship Predictor

A new working paper (PDF) published by the US Federal Reserve Board finds that the higher your credit score, the higher your chances of a lasting relationship.

Also, "...if the difference between a couple’s individual credit scores is greater than 66 points at the start of the relationship, the couple is 24% more likely to split up within the second, third, or fourth year of the relationship."

What your credit score says about your love life - Quartz

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #2

This makes sense. Money is one of the leading stressers on a marriage. If you have different views on bills/savings/spending.... it can cause discord in a marriage. And the spend to the edge person is likely to have a worse credit score than the party that is prudent about paying bills and having a savings buffer.

I've observed this with friends.... If one was a big spender, and the other a saver... the marriage didn't last.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:45 PM   #3

Maybe there needs to be a space added to online dating sites:

Height......
Eye color.....
Credit score.....

omni
Old 10-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Maybe there needs to be a space added to online dating sites:

Height......
Eye color.....
Credit score.....

omni

If credit score was added, I might be willing to use those sites. Previous experiences with them did not turn out well 😳

I didn't read the paper, but I have always thought similarity of views on personal finance were a key indicator of compatibility. It's very difficult to make a relationship work when financial views are different because finances drive so much of what you do and how you live.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #5

I use credit score as a MAJOR indicator for my rental criteria. Most often, couples are within ~20 points of each other.

People with a sub-600 score generally have behavioral issues.

There is definitely a link to a low score and a more interesting criminal record. People with a 700+ credit score are boring. People with a sub-600 score have a lot more 'stuff'.

And I do not care about all the other great attributes of the person; if the score is low, I stay away and decline them. It's not worth it.

I would suspect that it is the same in the dating world, but worse. All the domestic incidents I have had were a low-scoring male (sub-500), with a higher (650+) scoring female.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I've observed this with friends.... If one was a big spender, and the other a saver... the marriage didn't last.
Yup, I learned that the hard way.

If anything, DW is a bit more "financially conservative" than I am. And the last time we looked, our credit scores were within 20 points of each other. Hmmm... maybe that's part of why we've been married 27 years.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #7

People with high credit scores take care of their responsibilities, they are more grounded, more trustworthy and in general probably care more about the future than living in the moment. It makes sense that these people are also better at keeping a long term relationship.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #8

It sounds like a discussion of one's credit score is perhaps now becoming more acceptable/common during early dating.

But, as far as a business model, the 2 credit-related dating sites referenced -- one has no members and the other doesn't even exist three years after this article was written.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/26/bu....html?hp&_r=1&

omni
Old 10-04-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

The woman that I had been seeing up until recently owns multiple houses, and drives an expensive foreign car. She informed me months into the relationship that she had declared bankruptcy in her recent past.

She made the statement once that she had nothing saved for retirement and had talked to a financial planner and was told to stop spending so much and start saving. She said " I just don't want to do that right now". There were many other red flags I was seeing, but as long as we weren't married it didn't affect me.

Anyway she kicked me to the curb because among other things I wasn't "exciting enough" . Although she wanted to remain "friends" I just said "no thanks".
Old 10-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbidness View Post
The woman that I had been seeing up until recently owns multiple houses, and drives an expensive foreign car. She informed me months into the relationship that she had declared bankruptcy in her recent past.

She made the statement once that she had nothing saved for retirement and had talked to a financial planner and was told to stop spending so much and start saving. She said " I just don't want to do that right now". There were many other red flags I was seeing, but as long as we weren't married it didn't affect me.

Anyway she kicked me to the curb because among other things I wasn't "exciting enough" . Although she wanted to remain "friends" I just said "no thanks".
Lots of red flags there. Sounds like you dodged a bullet.

omni
Old 10-04-2015, 09:45 AM   #11

Quote:

Welcome to my world. "Not exciting enough." What a crock. See, it's real easy for some people to just whip out an endless list of excuses on the fly or out of their rolodex of excuses. These kinds of people are mostly just looking for a second paycheck to help defray expenses. Now that would be "exciting" I guess.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
A new working paper (PDF) published by the US Federal Reserve Board finds that the higher your credit score, the higher your chances of a lasting relationship.

Also, "...if the difference between a couple’s individual credit scores is greater than 66 points at the start of the relationship, the couple is 24% more likely to split up within the second, third, or fourth year of the relationship."

What your credit score says about your love life - Quartz

omni
Well my honey and I beat the odds (A 815 w/ a 540). The difference is I understood how he got to 540 (Divorce, medical crisis, failing business (self-employed), and ADD which wasn't being medicated due to lack of insurance). Once I got him on insurance and he took his prescription it was like night and day, landed a steady job, paid the bills, stopped getting traffic violations, stopped getting fines on his accounts, and he's now at about 750 and has a ROTH IRA and savings.

The difference is I understood what was driving the issues he was having and it wasn't easy to fix, but it was something that could be worked on. I could have easily passed him by and likely would have had I not had back injury.. which made me sympathetic to his plight and he helped me out a lot during a time I needed someone. Its one of those things though that I think drives lots of people's issues ... many mental illnesses are left untreated and drive all sorts of bad behavior which is NOT healthy for relationships. Especially things like depression where people spend to be happy vs. address their real issue. The real question is does the person recognize they need help. If they want to get help and just don't have the means or support that's one thing but if the person is in denial or just doesn't want to get help .. then avoid like the plague. I know lots of bipolars on both sides of those spectrums, some that are in great relationships and many that don't take their meds and are a nightmare to be around... those are the ones that attract the people that want "excitement" in their life.. oh boy.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good for you, Karen. It takes something special to see the good person under all that baggage and know that just a little help can go a long way.

My DH always said he'd be living under a bridge if it weren't for me guiding our finances!

And I've helped some friends out with their credit issues who just needed a little direction and follow up to get back on the path. Those of us with innate skills in this area can forget that not everyone was born with the same talents.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

A statement like that (in bold) gets me every time. Anybody can just do whatever they well please all the time - We just have to deal with that consequences. Someone likes this should be locked up instead of being able to declare bankruptcy.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

If I were single and looking for a serious relationship, I would not keep on dating someone with low FICO scores (I imagine you could sort of tell by the way the person spends money around you...)
Old 10-04-2015, 10:11 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe those with a higher credit score are to cheap to get divorced. It's cheaper to keep her!
Islandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

When I started dating my wife in 1981, the first thing when I got serious was pull a Credit Bureau Report on her. I had a Chilton/Equifax CBR terminal sitting next to my desk. She had an empty report--little or no credit ever used.

At the same time, my Medical Technologist girlfriend pulled out a syringe and drew blood. She performed a complete blood chemistry panel on me to see how healthy I was. She told me I needed to slow down the beer drinking as it was showing up in my numbers. She didn't want to waste her time on someone with potential bad health.

And we're still together--34 years later.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
When I started dating my wife in 1981, the first thing when I got serious was pull a Credit Bureau Report on her. I had a Chilton/Equifax CBR terminal sitting next to my desk. She had an empty report--little or no credit ever used.

At the same time, my Medical Technologist girlfriend pulled out a syringe and drew blood. She performed a complete blood chemistry panel on me to see how healthy I was. She told me I needed to slow down the beer drinking as it was showing up in my numbers. She didn't want to waste her time on someone with potential bad health.

And we're still together--34 years later.
You are still together so I imagine you curved your drinking habits!

I am not a drinker (neither is my DH), but what numbers get affected by drinking? Just curious...
Old 10-05-2015, 11:02 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... was told to stop spending so much and start saving. She said " I just don't want to do that right now". ...

Anyway she kicked me to the curb because among other things I wasn't "exciting enough" . ...
I would have said "OK, let's do some exciting, expensive things! And since you like spending - your treat!"

Could'a been fun until her money (credit) ran out? Then time for you to move on, she was no longer exciting enough!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I use credit score as a MAJOR indicator for my rental criteria. Most often, couples are within ~20 points of each other.

People with a sub-600 score generally have behavioral issues.

There is definitely a link to a low score and a more interesting criminal record. People with a 700+ credit score are boring. People with a sub-600 score have a lot more 'stuff'.

And I do not care about all the other great attributes of the person; if the score is low, I stay away and decline them. It's not worth it.

I would suspect that it is the same in the dating world, but worse. All the domestic incidents I have had were a low-scoring male (sub-500), with a higher (650+) scoring female.

I would not be surprised that married couples have close to the same score.... more than likely it is due to one of them making sure the bills are paid etc. etc....

I know that my DW has a score over 800, but her income and spending habits could not support that high of a score...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote