Join Early Retirement Today

Cruisin'
Old 01-05-2013, 05:07 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cruisin'

Two weeks ago I saw a really good last minute deal on a 7 night cruise out of Port Canaveral and thought what a nice way to spend some time. As in the past we have booked an inside cabin to keep the cost down and save the money for another mini-vacation. I have to say it is nice to have a wife that is almost as frugal as I am.

Other times we have cruised it was to visit ports. To make sure I got my money's worth it was rushing around to see everything. I have a difficult time relaxing and feel like I need to make the best use of time. This time (since we have been to these ports and I am gradually starting to slow down) we are buying a Spa package to use a special mineral pool and the steam rooms. We are also bringing a couple of books to read and will be using the exercise room to work off all the food. This will either be a refreshing change or drive me nuts. We'll see. Leaving to drive to the port in an hour.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
Administrator

Enjoy your cruise!
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, have fun. DW and I took an Alaska cruise a few years ago and a couple of Caribbean cruises years back when the kids were young. We actually enjoyed the days at sea part the most. We are both good with relaxing with a book. We will probably take a New York to Europe cruise one of these days. We will pop the extra bucks for a balcony cabin. Even those can be heavily discounted if you are flexible on time and location.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Living near a cruise terminal is a nice advantage in ER! Have a wonderful time!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

So jealous! Have a wonderful time!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #6

Have fun, Badger!
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #7

Hope you have a relaxing, fun time.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Enjoy your trip!!

You make an interesting point about "To make sure I got my money's worth it was rushing around to see everything". My wife and I have been skiing for over 30 years and I fall into the same trap every year...let's make a couple of extra runs to get our money's worth. My last day is next Friday. We have a ski condo booked for Feb & March. Since I have 60 days available, I hope I can slow down and enjoy things rather than trying to cram things in.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

have a great time. you didn't mention what cruise line or what ports you will hit. DW and I have been on a few cruises and loved everyone.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #10

Do you need any suggestions for parking your car?