Join Early Retirement Today

Cure for just 1 more year: 2 month rental in Florida
Old 07-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Cure for just 1 more year: 2 month rental in Florida

I'm sick of telling myself just one more year, so I decided to force my retirement and prepay for a place in Florida Keys for two months starting Feb 2009. I can't back out now! I will officially retire Jan 1, 2009. I am so excited! I will celebrate my 60th BD then.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good job on making the move to make sure you do retire. Less than 6 months to go and freedom will be yours.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
I'm sick of telling myself just one more year, so I decided to force my retirement and prepay for a place in Florida Keys for two months starting Feb 2009. I can't back out now! I will officially retire Jan 1, 2009. I am so excited! I will celebrate my 60th BD then.
That's a wonderful place to spend an Ohio winter! I spend a few weeks every February in FL....usually Daytona Beach, though I have spent a little time in other areas including southern FL and the Keys. I really enjoy the winter weather in Illinois while I'm in FL.......when it's on the Weather Channel and I'm on the beach!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:57 PM   #4

Hey that sounds great. Congratulations Im envious
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

May I ask what Key your going to and what the monthly rent is? Thanks. I'm considering doing the same in 2010.
hogtied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:05 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

The rent was $3,500/mo + discount for early payyment + florida taxes @11.5%. It is a two bedroom house with dock on a canal in Little Torch Key. I ordinarily would not pay this kind of money, but I kept asking myself: Don't you deserve it after 33.5 years of megacrapcorp? I will need that time and setting to decompress.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:18 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
That's a wonderful place to spend an Ohio winter! I spend a few weeks every February in FL....usually Daytona Beach, though I have spent a little time in other areas including southern FL and the Keys. I really enjoy the winter weather in Illinois while I'm in FL.......when it's on the Weather Channel and I'm on the beach!
YES! That kind of reminds me of a song that a crusty ole singer down at Sloppy Joes in KW sings. One lyric is "We are down in Key West we don't care if youre pissed, we're having ourselves a good time, just laughing and singing, just barely thinking bout those who we just left behind" The singers name is Pat Dailey.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:21 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Good job on making the move to make sure you do retire. Less than 6 months to go and freedom will be yours.
Thanks, just a 165 days and a wake up...not that I am counting or anything
Old 07-20-2008, 06:25 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

This sounds very nice. I live in Florida and have been to the Upper Keys for the day many, however, it was only about 2 years ago that I got all the way down to Key West and spent a few days. It was very nice and was planning to go back for a week this summer but it is not comming together. Perhaps I will try for this winter.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #10

congrats. you will love your two months in the keys.

our sales tax in florida generally is 6% though some counties add a 1/2 or a point onto that. counties also have a bed taxes for tourists but i would have thought that only taxed on short-term stays. i'm surprised a stay longer than one month would be subject to even the sales tax, never mind the bed tax.

wow: looks like a 7.5% sales tax; 3% tourist tax & 1% tourist impact tax.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

I think $3,500 is a pretty good deal in the high season . I love the keys . A great place to celebrate your retirement.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got back a month ago. Stayed at Bahia Honda State Park. South of Marathon at the southern end of the 7 mile bridge. If you have never been to Key West before go on the Konk train. Great information. Also go down Key Deer drive to the west and see all the Key Deer on Big Pine Key.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #13

Lazy - I think anything less than 7 months is considered short term and is subject to the higher tax.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowski View Post
Just got back a month ago. Stayed at Bahia Honda State Park. South of Marathon at the southern end of the 7 mile bridge. If you have never been to Key West before go on the Konk train. Great information. Also go down Key Deer drive to the west and see all the Key Deer on Big Pine Key.
We have been to Key West several times and had fun there every time. We toured most of the historic sites there. e.g. Hemmingway's house, the light house, The Little Whitehouse, Mel Fishers Atocha discovery, etc. But even so, the Conch Train is a good idea and this time we will have the time to get a tour and see what we missed. We are looking forward to boating around in a small boat around the many little Key Islands in the lower Keys. It is going to be a neat adventure.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowski View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
congrats. you will love your two months in the keys.

our sales tax in florida generally is 6% though some counties add a 1/2 or a point onto that. counties also have a bed taxes for tourists but i would have thought that only taxed on short-term stays. i'm surprised a stay longer than one month would be subject to even the sales tax, never mind the bed tax.

wow: looks like a 7.5% sales tax; 3% tourist tax & 1% tourist impact tax.
I was a little taken back about the 11.5% tax I had to pay, but that is what the owner charged me and I really didn't have any rebuttle at the time. Perhaps I should question it.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #16

Budman - I'm pretty sure any rental agreement less than 7 months is subject to the same taxes a hotel must charge (the 11.5%). I believe the state put the window out at 7 months so that personal rentals cannot undercut the commercial rentals during the "winter" by not having to pay all the taxes.

When I moved to FL in 2000, I needed a temporary apartment for 6 months until my house was available. Because the lease was under 7 months, I had to pay the rent plus 11%. We are now in OH again but we are hoping to be looking for FL housing again soon.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #17

Monroe County Tax Collector

Quote:
Any person (business) who rents or leases any transient accommodations for a period of 6 months or less. This tax applies to hotels, motels, apartment buildings, single or multifamily dwellings, mobile home parks, condominiums, and cottages.
How much is the tax? 4% (refers to tourist tax part of the equation)
and i thought it was expensive to live in fort lauderdale.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Budman, are you planning on taking your own boat down with you or will you rent one. I know there are hundreds of boat clubs you can join also. For about $200 per month you have your choice of all the clubs boats. All you do is fill the gas tank every time you use one. I've considered taking my 21 ft Searay to FL with me but it's such a harsh environment on boats. Mine has never seen salt water and it's always been kept on the trailer in a garage. I'm leaning toward paying the $200 per month wheh I winter in FL. Also would save gas towing cost from NY.
hogtied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:18 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Budman - I'm pretty sure any rental agreement less than 7 months is subject to the same taxes a hotel must charge (the 11.5%). I believe the state put the window out at 7 months so that personal rentals cannot undercut the commercial rentals during the "winter" by not having to pay all the taxes.

When I moved to FL in 2000, I needed a temporary apartment for 6 months until my house was available. Because the lease was under 7 months, I had to pay the rent plus 11%. We are now in OH again but we are hoping to be looking for FL housing again soon.
Sounds like I'm stuck with the 11.5%. This high rate must make up the taxes the state does not collect in income tax.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:24 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtied View Post
Budman, are you planning on taking your own boat down with you or will you rent one. I know there are hundreds of boat clubs you can join also. For about $200 per month you have your choice of all the clubs boats. All you do is fill the gas tank every time you use one. I've considered taking my 21 ft Searay to FL with me but it's such a harsh environment on boats. Mine has never seen salt water and it's always been kept on the trailer in a garage. I'm leaning toward paying the $200 per month wheh I winter in FL. Also would save gas towing cost from NY.
We are towing a small 13' Boston Whaler down there. I know the salt water is tough on a boat. I'm not sure that we will leave it in the whole time. The rental sounds tempting. This little whaler is a blast to kick around in and is quite comfortable.