Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One time I was in New Orleans for the first time. This was about 9 years ago. I was staying on Bourbon and was a little intimidated and lost.

I have a sibling who went there many times so I called and asked "where do I go?". They said "where are you?". I said "Bourbon and Orleans". They said "you know Mom and Dad had their honeymoon dinner right by you at Court Of Two Sisters. It's on Royal. Go there."

So I did, and I told them about the honeymoon. They gave me souvenirs to send to Mom that she loved. I don't even remember the food but it didn't matter!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still have both parents. Dad will turn 93 next month. I try to see him at least twice a week (live a few blocks away) to keep an eye out on him and to just enjoy having a small talk.

He is a WWII vet and there aren't many of them around anymore. He would never talk about it much when we were young so I'm coaxing stories out of him and writing them down. Many of them amaze me and I'm so glad he is willing to share them now.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #23

Here's how my dad got to early retirement. He was different than me.

Dad was a chemist, graduating from Roosevelt University in the 50s. Not long after getting his degree, he and a chemist friend decided they wanted to try setting up a small chemical company startup in Mississippi. Off they went, wives in tow.

Things didn't work out (and I don't think they had bargained for summers in the Gulf region), but they were there long enough to have their first baby - my oldest sibling. They came back to Chicago and Dad took a position as a staff chemist at a more traditional, established company. He stayed with them his entire career and worked his way up to becoming a director of a research lab.

He'd hired two young guys he thought the world of: bright, motivated, likely good future with the company. One day he got word from upper management that due to budgetary constraints he had to let one of them go. Nothing to do with performance. He had to choose which.

He agonized over this for a few weeks then hit upon a solution: he retired! Both guys kept their jobs, and he got to move on and do things he enjoyed: relaxation, a little short travel, cooking, beer, and lots of time hanging out with the dogs.

I have a friend who is Chinese and a lifelong practicing Buddhist. One of the most peaceful people I know. I told him this and he listened quietly. When I was done, he just sat back, smiled, and said, "That's good karma".

Old 11-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #24

Here's a Thanksgiving one, hopefully appropriate:

I was in graduate school and got this handsome Maine Coon cat as a stray. I went to spend the holiday weekend with my parents who had a friendly Shepherd/Lab dog.

The dog used to cozy up next to my dad while they watched TV, dad in his chair and the dog on the floor. The stairway upstairs was right behind them.

I showed up with my kitty who very soon learned to crouch on the stairs and leap down randomly on the dog. Then they'd run around and the family was in an uproar. My dad hated it but I thought it was funny.

So, post-dinner there were lots of leftovers. I hung out in the kitchen talking to Dad while he carved them up to put in the fridge. At one point, we noticed this little paw groping around the table trying to snag a piece. The cat was sitting on a chair under the table but thought he was Very Clever and Undetectable. I thought he was Very Hilarious and we cracked up.

This was a four day visit and my parents put a baby gate up to keep the dog out of the room where I was sleeping with my cat. But of course I had to load up and leave, so the gate was down.

I went back up for one last check to make sure I had everything. I looked in the litter box and there, big as you please, was this pile of dog poop. A parting gift for the kitty!

We laughed about that for a long time

Old 11-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #25

Steely, I loved your story about your Dad's retirement. And the kitty, too.
As this is the season I complain loudest about my family, this serves as a good reminder to be grateful for still having them around to complain about.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Steely, I loved your story about your Dad's retirement. And the kitty, too. As this is the season I complain loudest about my family, this serves as a good reminder to be grateful for still having them around to complain about.
Thanks, I hadn't thought about that in a while (the kitty one). I later got a beautiful Himalayan, also a stray, and she taught him to mind his manners.

On that Thanksgiving, I'd gotten a small disposable litter box 'cause he was still a kid. But the dog was pretty big, so he must have taken aim to hit the spot!

Happy and safe Thanksgiving, everybody!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #27

A Mom story:

We lived on the east coast for a number of years (NY/NJ region). They had a lot of radio stations that we kids would argue over in the car and reach up into the front seat to punch the radio buttons. Simon & Garfunkel had released "Cecelia", which has this great segment in the middle that sounds African, with drums and wooden flute-sounding things. We were especially rambunctious one day and were beating that radio to death, and landed on that part of Cecelia. Mom turned around and said, "Now you've done it! We're listening to Johannesburg!!!"

Old 04-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #28

In Chicago, it's a given that if you live on the south side, you root for the White Sox. North side, it's the Cubs.

As a result, my dad had never been to Wrigley Field. I took care of that in the mid-90s: a Cubs/Cards game at Wrigley.

The traffic is terrible there on game day, so I dropped them off at the game and went off to a place I knew to park and walked back to join them. When I finally got there, I found him and my mom with beers and dogs sitting outside. He looked almost insane with this huge grin.

One problem: my clueless mom wore a Cardinal red jacket and these StL fans sitting next to us kept buying her beer, which she happily accepted

Old 04-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #29

Old 04-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My Dad has been gone for 33 years and I still miss him so much . He was a great guy & a wonderful father . I can remember when I used to play the bass fiddle and my Dad would drive me to the concerts with the fiddle taking up the whole back seat of our Plymouth . Dad would ask me "Why not play the flute "?
Old 04-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

My dad passed away in 2003. I cried every day the first year he was gone and now still get teary-eyed just thinking about him. He was a hard worker and a hard player, loved my mom and showed it, and his face lit up every time I came to visit (which was almost daily since they only lived a couple miles away). I miss that man!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #32

Hats off to your dads, Mr. Graybeard, Moemg, and Valen!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #33

My dad has been gone 40 years. I still marvel at what he was able to do. His chosen profession was an accountant, however, he also had a very successful career in real estate. That being said, I think what amazes me the most is what he was able to build. He built several wood boats, and each was a thing of beauty. He built a two story addition on to our house, without power tools! I lament that I had not the time or the patients or the skill to do the same.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #34

I think I mentioned mine was a chemist.

I always had this vague idea he went off to be Jekyll every morning. Kids

Old 04-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

My dad died in 2012 when he was only 58. I was 36.

No male on his side of the family had ever lived past 50, so he always said, "I'm ahead of the game! I've already won!" Ha.

His family profession (pipe covered and asbestos remover) are what attributed to the early deaths. He died of metastisized esophageal cancer which spread to his lungs, so his was heartburn/GERDs related actually. But he did have emphasema and black lung disease as well (plus he smoked!).

He was diagnosed at age 52 with cancer and managed to stay alive for 6 years. 53 is the retirement age of pipe fitters (and when they can collect their pension), but dad retired as soon as he learned about the cancer.

While he seemed to have so much common sense in some area, he had absolutely no common sense in other things (binge drinking, DUIs, gambling, crack). Since he has been gone, we don't have to worry about him anymore so that is a relief for me although my mom would take him back and all his troubles any day.

As far as money lessons? I pretty much do exactly the opposite of what my dad did. He really messed up in that area.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginadog View Post

As far as money lessons? I pretty much do exactly the opposite of what my dad did. He really messed up in that area.
Funny, that's my mode of operation, too.

My dad was a coal miner in eastern Pa in the early part of the 1900's. He joined the Navy to get out of the mines. I never met either of my grandfathers as they were both dead before I was born (black lung or booze, or both).
Old 04-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #37

I was thinking more about that day at Wrigley. Once we made our way inside, we ate a bunch more.

It occurred to me that a ball park is one of the few places where they literally throw your food at you. Can you imagine if they did that at a fine restaurant?

Old 04-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My Dad used to take us ( my sister,brother & I ) for a Christmas visit to Philadelphia . We took the day off school & went by train. In Philadelphia we shopped for my Mom's Christmas present ,saw Santa ,went to horn & hardat's and finally saw a movie . The year I went we saw "White Christmas " so every year at Christmas I watch that movie and relieve that great day . Thanks steelyman for bringing back great memories .
Old 04-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #39

Grateful to still have mine
Old 04-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #40

No, thank you for reading and saying something. I used to live (as a kid) not too far from Philly. I remember the football Giants fans hated the Eagles. But I can't remember who the Mets hated!

My first baseball game was Chicago/NY in Yankee Stadium. My mom was disgusted at how the outfielders were scratching themselves. My dad and I just got another Coke and hot dog