Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

This story still gets me emotional each time I think of it.

I have a lot of admiration in addition to love for both of my parents. They're in their 90's now. Perhaps the most stressful thing I ever did was come out to them long ago. You can never be sure how someone will react when you tell them you're gay. There's a lot more at stake when you tell a parent. I've heard many heartbreaking stories over the years from gay friends. Still, my parents didn't seem like the sort of people who would disown me.

I went over to my parents' home one evening to tell them. I was an emotional wreck. After I finally got the words out, my dad was the first one who spoke. The very first thing he said was, "Well, you didn't think we were going to love you any less, did you?"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's a perfect thing to say!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #43

Mike Rutherford recently published his autobiography. He describes how many people have told him that this song got them to talk to their Dads. (He also describes how he and his co-author, both of whom had recently lost their fathers, would sometimes feel the need to leave the room for a bit while writing it.)

Old 04-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
This story still gets me emotional each time I think of it.

I have a lot of admiration in addition to love for both of my parents. They're in their 90's now. Perhaps the most stressful thing I ever did was come out to them long ago. You can never be sure how someone will react when you tell them you're gay. There's a lot more at stake when you tell a parent. I've heard many heartbreaking stories over the years from gay friends. Still, my parents didn't seem like the sort of people who would disown me.

I went over to my parents' home one evening to tell them. I was an emotional wreck. After I finally got the words out, my dad was the first one who spoke. The very first thing he said was, "Well, you didn't think we were going to love you any less, did you?"
What a wonderful story! Reading it brought a (happy) tear to my eye. The world could use many more people like your parents.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:49 PM   #45

Forgive me; one more thing about hot dogs and baseball.

I think it's illegal to not have a beer and a dog. That's how they got "Scarface Al" (that would have been Comiskey).

The G-Men came up the ramp and said, "Hey! That pile of junk isn't eating a dog! Get him!". Next stop: Alcatraz.

Crime doesn't pay. Tell the family.

Dad
Old 05-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #46

Dad

One more Mom thing: I was talking to a sibling (in honor of Mother's Day) and the topic went to movies we'd seen with Mom. They said Looking For Mr. Goodbar. I mentioned Blue Velvet on Mother's Day. I remember when the movie was over, she turned to me and said, "Is that the kind of movie you show your mother?".

Dad
Old 05-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #47

Dad

I received a package this week with my dad's ring. It's a smart plain gold band. I had no idea it existed. Needless to say, I am thrilled. It doesn't fit any of my fingers except the pinkies, and they're too small - don't want to lose it.

So I will have it resized bigger. What's a dignified finger on which to wear Dad's ring?

Old 05-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
So I will have it resized bigger. What's a dignified finger on which to wear Dad's ring?

It was unfair to pose this question here.

Instead, I called a conference of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (his kids). The verdict was unanimous: the ring will have a new home on the ring finger of my right hand

Old 05-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #49

My Dad passed away almost 20 years ago. A few years before he died, my wife did a great thing: she interviewed him for several hours and recorded it. She asked him about his years growing up outside of the U.S., immigrating to the U.S., the challenges he faced, etc. There were a lot of things he spoke of that my siblings and I had never heard before. We made copies of the recordings and have played it for his grandkids, especially the ones born just before or after he died, as a way for them to learn about him.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
+1 on the bars and pigs feet... Sportsman's Club... Shirley Temple and sour pickle and a nickel for the juke box.
He would have been 106, but passed away at 56. The old morality... I never heard him swear, tell a lie, or denigrate anyone... 'cept he used to call bad people "buggers", though I'm sure he had no idea of the meaning. A member of the Textile Workers' Union along with my mom. In those days, '40's and '50's, much of the social life revolved around the textile factory workers workplace. Plays, softball games, picnics, holiday parties etc. They also went to the "Bug Club"... short for the "Military Order of the Cooties".... private night club in Central Falls. I was the kid in A Christmas Story... Flagpole, Santa Claus, Flat tire, Furnace "clinker", BB gun and all... Except my dad didn't swear!

Thanks for a nice thread.
I always look forward to your posts. And this is one reason why - I haven't spoken to my dad in close to 20 years. He was a hard dad to grow up with, even harder to reconcile with. But I think I have to try one more time now, especially since he has an eight year old grandson he doesn't know about but who asks me on occasion where my daddy is....

So thanks, Imoldernu, for yet another thread that made me think about my current situation.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:27 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My Dad used to take us ( my sister,brother & I ) for a Christmas visit to Philadelphia . We took the day off school & went by train. In Philadelphia we shopped for my Mom's Christmas present ,saw Santa ,went to horn & hardat's and finally saw a movie . The year I went we saw "White Christmas " so every year at Christmas I watch that movie and relieve that great day . Thanks steelyman for bringing back great memories .
That brings back memories. About 30 years, in a cold December, I took the train to Philadelphia with my infant son. I think at the time it was a curious sight, young father with infant in pack. The goal was to see the Xmas show at Wanamaker store. I remember finally arriving and going up several floors by way of escalators so that we could see the light show without crowds.

Changed his diaper right there. It was duty. I got it done.

Thanks for jarring that one loose.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent yesterday helping my cousin, who lives in a different town, clearing out the apartment of his recently departed father. This morning it struck me how his memories of his father are often sad or bittersweet. My dad passed away 20 years ago and my memories are honestly almost all positive. I am happy to say that my cousin has moved beyond this and is a happily married father, and a great guy.
Asher
Old 06-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #53

Here's my family.

http://youtu.be/gFD7KGBUtKI

Old 06-01-2014, 01:36 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
My Dad passed away almost 20 years ago. A few years before he died, my wife did a great thing: she interviewed him for several hours and recorded it. She asked him about his years growing up outside of the U.S., immigrating to the U.S., the challenges he faced, etc. There were a lot of things he spoke of that my siblings and I had never heard before. We made copies of the recordings and have played it for his grandkids, especially the ones born just before or after he died, as a way for them to learn about him.
This is indeed a wonderful gift to have! My dad will be gone 11 years on Tuesday and in many ways it seems like yesterday. Two of my 4 children can remember him well but the other 2 only somewhat. We try to show them the pictures we have of him and the few recordings that we made. On my to do list is to sit down and make recordings of DW and I for posterity. My dad's birthday is May 28 so this week is one that we remember him frequently. In the minds of his children, he was a great man and a great father. Thanks for the thread Steelyman.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #55

This was my dad's music. I think Marion Hutton is one of the cutest things on the planet.

http://youtu.be/fFv_PoZ2iP0

Old 06-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I think this is a great idea. I am going to borrow it and do this while my dad is still alive!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by er33 View Post
I think this is a great idea. I am going to borrow it and do this while my dad is still alive!

It's a very good idea! One of my siblings did that with my dad. He told great stories about summers in Michigan with our cousins. Getting chased by a goose from the outhouse

He also read "The Night Before Christmas".

I also have a video of my cat before she died.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #58

Oh yes reading a favourite childhood book is another great idea!
Old 06-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #59
Confused about dryer sheets

I just joined this forum and found this wonderful thread. I had the best Dad on the planet who passed away at 87 in 2010. My dear Dad was on his own at age 13 following the death of his mother and until he joined the Navy at 17 worked from farm to farm as a laborer. With an 8th grade education her served in the Navy for 25 years, fought in 3 wars, and retired in the rank of chief. Dad then went on to work until age 74 because he loved his job in bulding maintenance. For someone who came from such a poor socioeconomic foundation, Dad managed to overcome many obstacles, sent both his kids to college, and was there whenever we needed a shoulder to cry on or a few bucks to get up through to our next paycheck. I miss my Dad everyday, but am so blessed to have had him as long as I did
Old 07-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I received a package this week with my dad's ring. It's a smart plain gold band. I had no idea it existed. Needless to say, I am thrilled. It doesn't fit any of my fingers except the pinkies, and they're too small - don't want to lose it.

I finally got this moving yesterday. I had a dentist appointment (always a pleasure), but I remembered to take the ring in to the jewelers. They sized me up and I'll get it in a few weeks. That was a lot more fun than the dentist because it was Dad in the car with me (sort of).

It reminded me of something. When we were kids we lived for a while on the east coast and that meant holiday drives between east and midwest to be with the extended family. We were horrible kids in the back seat, always yelling and grabbing at each other.

One year, there was awful weather and we hadn't made it far out of Chicago. Probably Gary, IN. You couldn't see a thing. We kids were on full blast back there.

My mom said to my dad driving, "You're going to kill us!". He said, "WHERE THE HELL'S THE ROAD".

But - he got us back