Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

My dad is 77. He is my hero as well, although he didn't fight in any wars or struggle as many of your dads did. But he (with mom) raised two kids on a middle class income and taught us to be strong and kind. He taught us to work hard, LBOM, and balance that with enjoying life. And I see him in myself every day.

When we were growing up, every Sunday my mother would buy the New York Times, and my dad and I would sit on his big arm chair and do the crossword puzzle "together". When I was very little, of course I didn't know most of the answers, but we had books to look things up, and I would have to track them down (this is long before we had a computer!). When I was older, I was allowed to do as much as I could before he would finish it with me watching. He was always able to finish (without looking things up) - and the NY Times puzzles are HARD!

To this day, I do crossword puzzles in the paper every day.

He also didn't really treat us like "girls". He had a woodshop in the basement, and we would help him build furniture or fix things. We even built two kayaks from a kit once. We had monster ping pong battles (he was a college champ). I didn't beat him until I was a junior in high school - man, we were good!

He has a very dry sense of humor, that my sister inherited more than me. He taught us to play sports and be active. He still plays golf 3x a week. He taught us to give back - he volunteers quite a lot now that he is retired.

And now, later in life, he is taking care of my mom, who is experiencing quite a few health problems including Alzheimer's. He has even learned to cook!

He is my rock, and I hope that as he needs me more dealing with my mother's issues, I can be his rock in return. I am the person I am because of him.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

More respectful accounts of dads who are great men, really nice to read, Tom52 and kaudrey.

These gentlemen deserve to be called "Sir".

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
More respectful accounts of dads who are great men, really nice to read, Tom52 and kaudrey.

+2
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post

Beautiful tributes. I really enjoyed reading these and thanks to you both for sharing them.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My Father's 97th birthday was yesterday. He passed this January. He once (with tears in his eyes) said he knew he wasn't the best father, but he did the best he could with what he knew. Looking at family history, he had no one to act as a role model, he did pretty well.

He and mom were married for 70 years before she passed. I really admired how he took care of mom during her last 10 years. She had dementia and was difficult to be around. He took care of her, meals, cleaning, all things he had to learn very late in life.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #86

Dad

MRG: that's very loving, what he did for your mom. That's what they call "a man".

Old 10-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #87

One for Dad (birthday tomorrow):

http://youtu.be/U9M4azk6-GM

Keep sharing your recollections

Old 10-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A wonderful song, great tribute!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 10-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
A wonderful song, great tribute!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Thank you.

Twenty years, and that big rocking chair is still right there.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #90

I'm reconciling all my accounts as year-end prep and it made me think of two things.

The first is how lucky we were to have parents that planned for our futures (upcoming inherited IRA RMD triggered that).

The second was a comment Dad made after dinner one night. All five of us were there, and the dog. Dad was content with his beer and smiling. Everyone except Dad had post-graduate degrees. The topic turned to money. Dad settled back, laughed, and said,

"You're the ones with all the education. But I make all the money".

Old 12-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #91
Administrator

I'll bet you miss him a lot, especially around the holidays. I miss my mother so much even though she passed away over 7 years ago. It's hard to believe.

Thank goodness she is always with me, in my memories. If I want to see her, I just look in the mirror. Sometimes my voice sounds just like hers! Several times a week I recall some pearl of wisdom or other that she said to me at sometime in her life.

Remembering her around the holidays has become a wonderful thing for me, not a painful thing.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Dad
Old 02-22-2015, 01:24 PM   #92

Dad

My old man loved these guys. My old lady did too!

(this particular post may last about as long as The Smothers Brothers show, but c'est la vie)

http://youtu.be/iFVrtjUmz7c

Old 02-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #93

I see that last post survived! Good thing network censors didn't decide.

I never called Dad "my old man". Neither did the people I hung out with in reference to their fathers. If we wanted to be wiseguy kids, we would talk about our parents to each other by their first names, like "So how did Fred and Wilma take that??".

But as I am finalizing a big (to me) move, I'm discovering big objects aren't a problem ("oh, that full replica of the Statue of Liberty? Sure, just disassemble and throw the parts in the back of the truck.")

For me, it's the little stuff that can be interesting and time-consuming to go through and decide. I found a pile of things and pulled out a Christmas card, a nice traditional one, no jokester stuff.

It was signed together (they had distinctive writing), "Love, Mom" and "Your drinking partner, The Old Man (Dad)". Keeper!

Old 06-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #94

I see on my calendar that a couple of notable days are right around the corner: the summer solstice and... Father's Day!

This thread was motivated by a few family members talking about our dad on his birthday but it's fun and what I've enjoyed the most are the great dad stories that others have offered about their fathers. But I have a little bit to add.

I mentioned a while ago that I'd received a plain envelope within a package (like one of those "interoffice mail" things) that contained my dad's ring, and I was trying to figure out what to do with it. I described it and fortunately everyone who read was too polite to make a wiseguy crack like, "Uhhhhh, dude - you DO know that's his wedding band, don't you".

Of course I did, but I didn't care. I scratched my head and ended up conferring with the troops and a high-level decision was made that it should find a new home on my right ring finger. So that's where it went and I went about my business.

What was interesting over the next few months were the reactions by people I ran across in daily life. I'd never worn a ring of any sort, the only thing I wore that could be considered "jewelry" was a wristwatch, up until then.

But the reaction from different sexes was funny to me. For example, a bunch of people were out celebrating a friend's birthday and the spirits were flowing happy and plentiful. One woman I barely had met walked over, sat down, pointed at my finger and said "so, what's going on here?". There you go - don't mince words, girl! I laughed and said, "That's Dad's ring", which was apparently an appropriate response and she smiled.

The guys are different. An old friend came through town a few weeks ago and asked if I wanted to get together for a beer and dinner. Of course! We met in the bar and sat down for the beer and started talking, deciding where to eat dinner later. Lots of things to catch up on. We decided to stay at the same place and move to a table.

Talked and talked some more, and finally while we were waiting for the food to be served, I said, "your eyes keep wandering around and checking out my hand. Wanna know?". He said, "well yeah, that is new". So I told him and he also liked it, but I said I got that reaction a lot from the guys: the wandering eyes bit. I guess they figured I was gay and they didn't know it or got married, forgot to tell them and worse couldn't follow instructions. Whatever.

But after a while I was thinking, "this appears to cause more of a stir than I'd intended". Maybe I should go find a really nice jewelry case and enshrine it along with other family memorabilia or some other solution.

Then, I was watching Casablanca one more time (Sam), and I noticed: Bogart is wearing a wedding band on his right ring finger! It's true, check it out. It's clear in his first appearance in the saloon.

I looked into it further, and learned that Bogie indeed wore his father's ring after he'd died, often in film roles. Well, there. That's enough for me. The only other things that ever appear on the fingers of that hand for me are metal finger picks sold to me in St. Louis by Buddy Emmons (my thumbpick is a garden-variety plastic thing).

Dad and the Big E. That's a team I'm proud to have on my right hand!

So... Happy Father's Day to all your dads and especially to the dads that are e-r.org members! Great day!

Old 06-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Does that mean you're now a Bogiehead?

I bet your Dad's ring looks nice on you. DH wears one of his father's rings (not a wedding band--I don't know what happened to that one) on his right hand too.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Does that mean you're now a Bogiehead?

I bet your Dad's ring looks nice on you. DH wears one of his father's rings (not a wedding band--I don't know what happened to that one) on his right hand too.

You can call me Betty. Nobody else.

Your guy's got it going on!

Old 06-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

This will be the first Fathers day without Dad. When Mom died several years ago, I was worried he would give up. But he struggled for a while and then came out of his shell. He has always been my financial advisor in his own way, stressing savings first, then giving/donations, then living it up on whats left! We didn't have much growing up, but always had food on the table, a roof over our heads and a loving family. Dad was able to get a well paying job in his later career and lived the life with Mom--always said he was spending our inheritance.. Wish he was still here to do that. Loved them both to pieces, still do.