Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My advice is to get involved in various volunteer areas and keep looking until something 'clicks'. Maybe it will or maybe it won't - some of us spend a lifetime and never figure out what we really want to do when we grow up how to add "meaning, passion and significance to the post ER life".

Here's hoping you can find that something, or at least get comfortable with the fact that for you it may not exist.
+1. That is pretty much what DW and I did. I have a volunteer activity I regularly do. DW is still looking. To some degree you may find that wherever you go "you" are still there. In other words, if you never really found a passion in 40 or 50 years pre-ER you may not find one post-ER. I haven't and sometimes that bothers me and I start looking again. But for the most part I am content.

Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #22
I can definitely relate to the OP. I still occasionally feel a little guilty that I was able to FIRE at 53 (DH had already ER'd a few years earlier due to disability). We are solidly FI with plenty of cushion. I probably went overboard with volunteering, to the point where my schedule of activities limits our ability to travel more than I would like. So finding the balance is important.

"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." William Feather
ER'd Oct. 2010 at 53. Life is good.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The italians have a wonderful saying "dolce far niente" and I've really taken to it. A nice afternoon just siting outside, looking at the forest and the antics of of our recently born kids (goat kids that is) is about as pleasant and entertaining as it gets as far as I'm concerned.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
Nothing better than having a cup of coffee and learning something new on the internet...especially on a cold Monday morning when the world is going to work!
Take a few classes or join a group on Meetup to see what you might be interested in. I have learned to cook, plan a garden, paint, restore furniture, and have had so much time to just read Another site that is great for all kinds of ideas is is also very addicting!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
Recently my SIL began giving me a hard time about retiring early. "Why aren't you looking for a job?" she said. "You have so much to offer."

I decided to try to change her perspective. "What if I told you that I DO have a new job?" I said. "What if I told you that I have recently been hired to manage a large financial portfolio for an important private client? I am in charge of all aspects of his retirement finances, his investments, his withdrawal strategies, even his day to day spending. It is a job that requires me to be on call at all times and be constantly learning and researching new approaches. Would that be an important job? Would that be 'offering' something?"

"Yes, that sounds like an important job", she replied.

"Well, that is my job now," I said. "But I am the important client that I mentioned. I guess you would consider it a real job if I were doing this for someone else. But managing my retirement portfolio for myself is my job now. I manage it like a business. The more I make, and the less I spend, the more I keep. While it may appear to you that I don't work, I am actually constantly working. And I work for myself. And it's the best job I ever had."

She still could not get her mind around it. But this perspective has helped me deal with some of the guilt and uncertain feelings I have had during my transition from traditional work.

truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote