Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #301
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Having posted the photo of the older muscular guy as a tease, I have to say that I wonder what a guy like that has to do to maintain his physique. He may spend so much time on that effort, his lifestyle may feel boring to ordinary men.

I think one needs to stay fit as he/she ages. It's not just for look, but also for health. But not everyone cares to pump iron for a couple of hours each day. Admittedly, it also takes some discipline that most people lack.
That's a good point. I do a little over an hour of cardio every day, which means it doesn't rule my life. I was SO proud of myself for finishing a Duathlon in 2 hours, 40 minutes last week- then I checked the individual results and noticed that two 70-year old men (thus, 4 years older than I) did it an HOUR faster! I wonder what % of their day is spent at the gym. I had an uncle who was a marathon runner in the 1970s and died at age 42 of a massive heart attack. I know my Aunt loved him but she said that in many ways it wasn't that different after he was gone because he was always out running, anyway.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #302
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
It is not just the pumping iron, but usually involves a fairly radical diet which would typically not fit in with the typical retiree.

I’m guessing bodyfat in the sub-10% range.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #303
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I’m guessing bodyfat in the sub-10% range.
My guess is that some steroids may also be in play......
Old 06-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #304
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
My guess is that some steroids may also be in play......
And Photoshop...
Old 06-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #305
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
It is not just the pumping iron, but usually involves a fairly radical diet which would typically not fit in with the typical retiree.

And often HGH (human growth hormone), too. Very pricey and effects on long-term health are yet unknown.

https://www.openpr.com/news/1425635/...bH.htmlhttp://

omni
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HGH.JPG (25.0 KB, 235 views)
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #306
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Having posted the photo of the older muscular guy as a tease, I have to say that I wonder what a guy like that has to do to maintain his physique. He may spend so much time on that effort, his lifestyle may feel boring to ordinary men.

I think one needs to stay fit as he/she ages. It's not just for look, but also for health. But not everyone cares to pump iron for a couple of hours each day. Admittedly, it also takes some discipline that most people lack.
Photo touching up can do wonders for one looks. They have been turning mildly pretty gals into sexy sirens for years. I see no reason they can't do it with men. If they can shrink a woman's waistline and thighs, and enlarge her bosom, they can add some ripple to a man's gut. Heck that may not even be his real body. He might have had a head transplant.

Maybe it's the tattoo. Do women really find men with big macho tattos attractive?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #307
Give me a forum ...

The photo on the left is icky, but the one on the right is positively scary. There is all sorts of room for an attractive "middle ground."

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
And often HGH (human growth hormone), too. Pricey and effects on long-term health are yet unknown.

https://www.openpr.com/news/1425635/...bH.htmlhttp://

omni
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #308
Give me a forum ...

Although I have never been that close with a tattooed man, I don't find tattoos, of themselves, unattractive. In fact, I enjoy looking at them and talking to the owner about what the tattoo means to them (it usually means a lot, or they wouldn't have gone to all that trouble).

Now, the content, execution, or placement of the tattoo could be an issue. I'm not sure what a "macho" tattoo is, but anything self-consciously "macho" usually puts me off...a man needn't wear it on his sleeve, so to speak. And a "prison tattoo" would surely be a no-no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
P

Maybe it's the tattoo. Do women really find men with big macho tattos attractive?
Old 06-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #309
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The photo on the left is icky, but the one on the right is positively scary. There is all sorts of room for an attractive "middle ground."
Ah, the middle ground.

Some men looking at the photos will think, "I will take just 1/2 the dosage and it should be enough".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #310
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

That guy is in great shape, but realistically 20 or so minutes a day is all that most people need to build a decent amount of muscle that looks good as long as they do it right. The diet part of it (losing fat to display the muscle) is an entirely different issue and difficult for most.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #311
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
That guy is in great shape, but realistically 20 or so minutes a day is all that most people need to build a decent amount of muscle that looks good as long as they do it right. The diet part of it (losing fat to display the muscle) is an entirely different issue and difficult for most.
90% of abs are made in the kitchen. Unfortunately, so are 100% of the pizzas.
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #312
Give me a forum ...

I lost about six pounds (that I didn't need or want to lose) due to the stress of our recent move. I weighed about 126, which is much too low for me. Lo and behold, suddenly I had a six-pack. A very obvious one. Now that the weight is back on, I still have visible abs, but none of that "definition" people so admire nowadays.

In other words: To look the way one is "supposed" to look, I have to be significantly underweight. That's just dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
TThe diet part of it (losing fat to display the muscle) is an entirely different issue and difficult for most.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #313
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I weighed about 126, which is much too low for me.
Height/weight ratio?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #314
Give me a forum ...

Why do you care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Height/weight ratio?
Old 06-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #315
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why do you care?
I don't, but you volunteered a statement - I was simply trying to put it into perspective.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #316
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why do you care?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #317
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Lo and behold, suddenly I had a six-pack. A very obvious one...
And still no photos.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #318
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Height/weight ratio?
She posted her height earlier somewhere. People who are curious can search for it (she was not short).

Old 06-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #319
Moderator Emeritus

My imagination tells me that Amethyst's 6 pack looks something like this:

ripped woman.jpg
Old 06-21-2019, 04:43 PM   #320
Give me a forum ...

^^^ That's a 6-pack many men never had, and never will.