Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've never forgotten a Jules Feiffer cartoon that I must've seen some fifty years ago.......two vertical strips, approximately six panels each.

On the left side, progressing downwards, there's a guy saying how he took his date to a fancy restaurant on their first meeting; his expenditure increases on every date, and on the last panel, feeling the pinch, he suggests they go to a movie....she dumps him.

On the other side, the guy says they went for a walk on the first date, window shopping on the next, etc, etc, in the same vein. Last panel he suggests they go to a movie...and remarks to the effect that "Was she ever happy!"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2017, 07:24 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

And yes, I HAVE watched too many episodes of American Greed.D

My wonderful friend had to remind me of the Criminal Minds episode where the serial killer picked her victims from a dating web site before I went out on my first OK Cupid date.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:46 PM   #63

I have had interesting results with online dating. When I wrote a profile that included being almost retired and generally having good financial means, I got lots and lots of attention from many women, but didn't find any of them that I was interested in. When I wrote a much more low key profile, not quite saying I was an unemployed bum but pretty close, generally understating my financial position, I got a lot less attention and found it harder to get women to reply back - but those that did were much more interesting and compatible people.

I've heard that online dating can be a numbers game, but it's important to remember that all numbers don't matter, just the likelihood of finding the kind of person that you would actually like.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:31 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

OP- we could be twin sons from different mothers

From what I've seen from your posts about your relationship history, I think you've been very thoughtful about your experiences and are moving forward carefully. You have seen the downside of being committed to someone, yet persist. Tells me you believe it's all worth it. I agree

After the first failed relationship after my wife of 30 years died, I was concerned about a few things:

1. Being a target for those in less comfortable circumstances
2. Wondering if I was "damaged goods" after being married as long as I was was and yet still having two kids to get launched. Who would want to get involved with a guy in his mid-late 50's with those responsibilities?

The question of my means of support is likely always there, but I stopped worrying about it. I'm retired with enough to live the life I want, and that's how I explain it when it comes up. No need to get into how that happened (pensions, savings, etc.). Probably still leaves questions unanswered, but I figure those can be dealt with later, when the time is right.

As to gold diggers, I think that is entirely within our control. This is one I now realize I worried about too much. IMO, they are easier to spot than they think they are. No one can get more of your money than you are willing to give them.

I stick to a reasonable budget for socializing (dinners mostly, and wine after a walk on the beach). I don't get lavish with gifts. Last thing I bought her was a $15 adjustable arm to get her shower head to a more usable place. Rebuilt a closet before that. All things that made her life easier, and she appreciated. Don't get me started on what I did for the one before her.....Learned a lot from that experience

As to "damaged goods", I've stopped worrying about that one too. I can't change my circumstances, and everyone I've met in the dating process has things I would once have found less than ideal. Now figure as long as nothing is being hidden or shaded, we each can decide how well the situation fits with our respective life goals.

Best wishes finding the lady worthy of your loyalty. Don't settle, the right one is out there
Old 09-10-2017, 05:30 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Again, I am thinking of myself as a young woman (haven't dated since my late 20's), but I imagine the same sort of things would please me now as did back then. I did not think about lavish gifts, and I wouldn't now. I was perfectly willing to go Dutch, only nobody would let me I suppose the fate of an older woman is that now the men expect you to pay. Oh well!

What pleased me the most was someone doing simple maintenance on my car, helping paint the house I had somehow managed to buy (this also allowed my future husband to display how good he looked in tight jeans), excitedly planning a small trip that we were both paying for. The shower head thingy would have pleased me no end. As you say: Things that make your life easier, and more fun.

Nowadays I can hire someone to do all of the above, but I would think an experienced older man could still think of ways to make a woman's life easier.

And as you say, we are all "damaged" in somebody's eyes (we have a lot of miles and have taken depreciation along the way) so there is no sense worrying about it. Just play up your good points and try to see everyone else's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post

No one can get more of your money than you are willing to give them.

I stick to a reasonable budget for socializing (dinners mostly, and wine after a walk on the beach). I don't get lavish with gifts. Last thing I bought her was a $15 adjustable arm to get her shower head to a more usable place. Rebuilt a closet before that. All things that made her life easier, and she appreciated. Don't get me started on what I did for the one before her.....Learned a lot from that experience

As to "damaged goods", I've stopped worrying about that one too. I can't change my circumstances, and everyone I've met in the dating process has things I would once have found less than ideal. Now figure as long as nothing is being hidden or shaded, we each can decide how well the situation fits with our respective life goals.

Best wishes finding the lady worthy of your loyalty. Don't settle, the right one is out there
Old 09-10-2017, 06:59 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

58? Tell them you retired early. What's the big deal. I ERd at 56 and most people were envious, they didn't view me as a bum.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:19 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
58? Tell them you retired early. What's the big deal. I ERd at 56 and most people were envious, they didn't view me as a bum.
I'm 75 this month, quit working at 46.......I was a bum before that, and I'm a bum now.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:28 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
I have had interesting results with online dating. When I wrote a profile that included being almost retired and generally having good financial means, I got lots and lots of attention from many women, but didn't find any of them that I was interested in. When I wrote a much more low key profile, not quite saying I was an unemployed bum but pretty close, generally understating my financial position, I got a lot less attention and found it harder to get women to reply back - but those that did were much more interesting and compatible people.
The first paragraph is sad but believable. I've considered saying that I was capable of paying my own way in transatlantic Business Class and wanted someone who could do the same. I could see that attracting guys like my first husband, who dressed well and talked a good game, but had a boatload of credit card debt and no savings.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #69

37 (like me), or 58 (like you), the problem is essentially the same: finding a compatible partner. For that you need to:
  • Know who you want
  • Know what that person wants
  • And get that point across

That's the generic, and useless part. These days there are so many flexible and non-flexible arrangements in lifestyle, work etc .. that frankly I wouldn't be with anyone who can't understand that a traditional work model is not the only option out there. Also, you are 58? Not working is almost the norm in that age category.

In my situation, in the periods that I was/am a bum I have said that I am considering my options after a few years of hard work, that I work as an independent professional in irregular intervals, or that I am a part-time investment advisor for a small family office. All of which were true. In online profiles I tend to overplay and reword a bit to distinguish myself from the 'entrepreneur'-types who actually indeed are walking life-destroyers and failed haphazard no-career types.

Most of them are geared to signal that I am not worried about my financial future, but also don't communicate I am a target to siphon off of. In later conversations the details can come up.

Chances are your current lady of interest gauges you correctly as well: Don't underestimate the things you say and non-verbal communication. Your life story shows up in many ways. I wouldn't worry too much about getting the wording exactly right once you are in the real world.

Online profiles indeed can be tricky, but easily experimented with.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:35 AM   #70
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I've never forgotten a Jules Feiffer cartoon that I must've seen some fifty years ago.......two vertical strips, approximately six panels each.

On the left side, progressing downwards, there's a guy saying how he took his date to a fancy restaurant on their first meeting; his expenditure increases on every date, and on the last panel, feeling the pinch, he suggests they go to a movie....she dumps him.

On the other side, the guy says they went for a walk on the first date, window shopping on the next, etc, etc, in the same vein. Last panel he suggests they go to a movie...and remarks to the effect that "Was she ever happy!"

Happiness = Expectations/Reality
Old 09-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Fun Fact - Talking with DGFs friend about her online dating. She called Tinder her free dinner app. Act a little interested and guys would take her to all the places she could never afford.
I dated a woman who said this exact thing on our first date! Talk about honesty. We didn't meet on Tinder, but she told me how much she liked the app and how using it had enabled her to "experience the finer things in the city for free". Needless to say, when the check came, she didn't reach for it.

I think this is an unfortunate and widespread side effect of online dating services. It had led to many women treating dating sort of like channel surfing. I read an article about this recently that explained the psychology of it all very convincingly. It's just so easy for any reasonably presentable woman to find a date at a moment's notice, that when they actually do go on dates they are constantly evaluating and scrutinizing the guy in comparison to the next "virtual" one who's out there who might be a little better looking, a little taller, a little funnier, a little richer, etc. So they end up churning through a stream of guys who could be very good matches over the long term, in search of the "perfect" match. Very dispiriting for those of us non-George Clooney types.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #72

Early-on in my online dating experience, as I was driving to another meet-and-greet, I had this thought....

When we were high school/college age, we were all like "new cars" in the dealer's showroom. Typically were meeting/dating/marrying the young people from our neighborhoods and schools who were basically "blank slates" like ourselves. In other words, we were all shiny, brand new vehicles.

Later in life, we are all like "used cars".... quite unique...some are low mileage, some are high mileage, some have had multiple owners, some have rust, some have dents and dings, some have a lot of bondo/repairs...and some have trunks overflowing with baggage or are towing a trailer (full of who-knows-what).

So dating now (for both men and women) is sort of like looking for a good used car....without access to a CarFax report.

omni
Old 09-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately, I can definitely see this happening with younger women. I don't think it is going to be too much of an issue with older ones, though. We know Prince Charming isn't actually around the corner, and if he does, he has nose hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I dated a woman who said this exact thing on our first date! Talk about honesty. We didn't meet on Tinder, but she told me how much she liked the app and how using it had enabled her to "experience the finer things in the city for free". Needless to say, when the check came, she didn't reach for it.

I think this is an unfortunate and widespread side effect of online dating services. It had led to many women treating dating sort of like channel surfing. I read an article about this recently that explained the psychology of it all very convincingly. It's just so easy for any reasonably presentable woman to find a date at a moment's notice, that when they actually do go on dates they are constantly evaluating and scrutinizing the guy in comparison to the next "virtual" one who's out there who might be a little better looking, a little taller, a little funnier, a little richer, etc. So they end up churning through a stream of guys who could be very good matches over the long term, in search of the "perfect" match. Very dispiriting for those of us non-George Clooney types.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #74

Well, guess this one saw unemployed bum from the first meeting as she just texted to postpone the second date.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #75

Back in my dating days, I had a policy for first-date blind-dates. We would meet for coffee and/or a snack in a low-pressure setting which took less time than a longer dinner-date, for example. The women always went along with this, as they welcomed a similar setting. It also didn't cost as much, so I never had any reservations about paying the whole check. (If she insisted on paying her own way, fine.)

This was also a good method to weed out any gold-diggers who were in it only for a free meal. Thankfully, this happened only once. One woman insisted on a full dinner-date. I balked at that, telling her that if things went well on our smaller first-date, I would be happy to have a second date that way. She became hostile, calling me a cheapskate and said lots of nasty things to me. I told her I was glad to learn now that she saw me only as a free meal. We went our separate ways.

But several years later, she happened to reply to some ad I had posted on line. She don't know we had corresponded years earlier. While it was tempting to do something to get even with her, maybe stand her up for a date, I also wondered if she had reformed and changed her attitude. So I first told her that we had chatted before on line and that she had been mean to me. After inquiring further, I told her what had happened years earlier and asked her if she still felt the same way about insisting on a full dinner on a first date. She said she had and that ended our chat. But she wasn't hostile and berating this time.

I have almost always paid for my dates over the years. This is because I made more money than the women did. In many cases, the women were unemployed and lived with their parents (even well into their 30s). I was happy if they offered to pay the tip on a dinner, at least it was a sign they weren't in it for the free meal.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #76

In another thread I noted I am not in the "looking for" mode. This thread is amusing and informative.

Yet I am definitely in the "observing" mode. In my dance class it is well known I am a recent widower, as is my age. They suspect I am more than financially stable. Which is accurate, though I do not discuss it.

It is a lot of fun to observe the machinations of the single women in the class. Some are very keen on extensive body contact even if the dance does not call for it. Often the gazes are priceless. And there is always much small talk on dance floor. I do not get involved with anyone who is in class, in any after class activities. Next year, maybe, too soon to tell.

I have resolved to never do online dating. I met DW in a coffee shop,where we were both regulars. Nearly two years passed before we started dating.

Figure in an other six or seven months I may start taking a closer look. However, I have created a first requirement. She must be able to dance, something besides line dance. Preferably a reasonable facsimile of Argentine Tango. I suspect that alone restricts the field by a wide margin.

Edit add: The dance requirement pretty much eliminates any blind dates.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

. The shower head thingy would have pleased me no end. As you say: Things that make your life easier, and more fun.

Ahh...... I won't go much farther with that......
Old 09-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Well, guess this one saw unemployed bum from the first meeting as she just texted to postpone the second date.
You never know, it could be for a legit reason.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I was happy if they offered to pay the tip on a dinner, at least it was a sign they weren't in it for the free meal.
True, though they were getting an 80% discount...

Ha
Old 09-10-2017, 11:31 AM   #80
Administrator

Dating men from one of those dating websites was an overall horrible experience, so you have my sympathy.

Thank goodness I met Frank that way (finally!) so I never have to go through that again. This is our 18th year together.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote