Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My last day was a few Fridays ago. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I say that the weekend "didn't count" because I would have had those days off anyway.

On the Monday after my last day I signed-up to get health insurance through the PPACA healthcare marketplace. Or should I say started the 'adventure' of signing up.

sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

1st Day
Old 06-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #22
1st Day

I didn't start the day off planning to record my activities but, I got about half way through it and thought it'd be nice to remember how I spent my first day so, I logged it.

1st Day of Retirement---

930pm-100am: Clancy's Irish bar with mates to celebrate and ring in my first day of retirement.

5am: Up without alarm (old habits die hard ) and feed and walk the dog.

530-630am: Check email and

0630-0730am: Catch Zs (new habits form quickly)

0730-0900am: Coffee, hang, more coffee, more hang.

0900-1030am: Crepes for breakfast at local French creperie with DW. Run in to retired friend at restaurant, and his friend from France; discuss travel, Tibetan Buddhism, and architecture (he's an architect); unfortunately, none of them are golfers.

1030am-1230pm: Errands with DW, all within walking distance.

1230-130pm: Appointment with DW.

130-300pm: Walk dog; have lunch at local Gelateria/sandwich shop; dog gets a "doggie gelato" which is the highlight of his day.

300-330pm: Nap (new habit training).

330-430pm: Call from dear friend to discuss and savor first day of retirement.

430-500pm: Email buddies and reserve tee time for Sunday...they all still work.

500-600pm: Hang, walk dog, dog charms passersby.

600-800pm: Local pub rooftop garden/patio, listening to an outdoor Bob Dylan tribute concert.

800-830pm: Dinner at local Mexican place, watching soccer on the big screen tape delayed, and coeds live; I'm old(er) but, not dead yet, and DW says looking is OK.

830-930pm: Return to Clancy's to close out the first day (24 hrs) with a bit of Mother's Milk, then off to home and slumber.

All in all, it was a wonderful day! And, one of the best aspects of the day was that, other than the "appointment" in the middle of the day, I /we did it all walking from our place.

You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #23
you're going to need to find some new golfing buddies who don't work during the week! Congrats!
FIRE'D in July 2009 at 51...Never look back!
RockyMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Since today is my first day of retirement (joined class of 2014 yesterday 6/6/14) I thought I'd comment. Got up and had breakfast. Went to the animal shelter to clean kennels. Talked to other volunteers who have retired from their day jobs. Picked up some dill on the way home. The other dill in the garden got flattened the other day. Might do so small items around the house. Going out to dinner tonight to celebrate. Gee, I can handle this.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Day One?
Old 06-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
Day One?

I celebrated it by spending more time on every activity I loved to do but rushed over doing it during my work life. I had a good sleep, no alarm clocks, long breakfast, read my newspaper at the pace I always wanted, did a really unhurried exercise routine (remembering to stretch well before and after. Then I can't remember exactly what special thing I did but I sure enjoyed myself. All I know is that it was a great start and I am coming into my 4th anniversary of my retirement soon.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe
I ended up having surgery the morning of my first day of retirement, due to insurance considerations.

Still beat going to work thought
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.
My first day was New Year's Day, so it felt like a holiday and I did what I normally do on the first day of the year. Jan 2nd, felt like the first day, but all I can remember is sleeping in. Oh, and that my wife was ready to slap the smile off my face on that day and subsequent days.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #28
Originally Posted by BobW View Post
I ended up having surgery the morning of my first day of retirement, due to insurance considerations.

Still beat going to work thought
Wow that must have been a rough place to work if you'd prefer having surgery over going to work!
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #29
My first day of ER was a Saturday so there was nothing really special about it. I had been working part-time for the 7 years leading up to my late 2008 ER and only 2 days a week in the last 17 months so going from 2 days a week to zero days a week was not a huge change to my day-to-day life. I had not worked on a Monday since 2006 so not even Sunday nights felt different the way many others have described.

Not having to buy any more train tickets was the first real sign that I had ERed.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #30
I am not sure, but I am sure I have done the same thing many times since, and it does not get old!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets
I will be retiring in 2 weeks. My work ends on a Friday. On Saturday, I plan to go to the gym in the morning and relax the rest of the weekend. On Monday, we will go on a 7 hours trip to see my daughter who is having a baby! What a good deal.
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I didn't know I was retired until the 2nd day of my retirement. The first day I was just fired, not FIREd.

I spent the first day saying "WTF" for the 10 minute drive home and another 20 minutes after I arrived at the house. The "Hey, honey, you'll never believe what just happened to me at work..." phone call occurred somewhere in that period of time.

Then I spent an hour or two downloading documents and other evidence for the possible pending lawsuit (which proved helpful). I had lunch, then started notifying my contacts that I wasn't with the company any more.

I walked up to pick up my kids from school, chatted with a few friends and dropped the "hey, I'm not working any more" bombshell on them.

Later on the first day, I took a closer look at our numbers and my "The Plan" document. We were close enough to ER that we decided me finding a new job wasn't critical to our long term plan to retire early.

That day was kind of a blur, but my first full day of not working was more relaxing!
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (4, 10, and 11).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #33
I think I will go fly a kite.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do" --Bob Dylan.
heeyy_joe is offline   Reply With Quote