Join Early Retirement Today

Day One?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Day One?

There is a company - I forget which - that ran some great little bits about how people spent their first day of retirement. I think that's pretty cool, doing something memorable that day. I'm years from that day still, but I'd love to hear ideas. How did or will you spend that first day? I wish I had a great idea for myself, but I don't. Yet.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I left immediately for a seven day RV trip along our coastline. I woke up every morning of the trip pinching myself that I really and truly did not have to go into the office.

Actually, my favorite memory is what I did immediately after giving notice - left for a two week cruise through the Panama Canal. Best trip ever for obvious reasons!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Since it has been almost nine years I don't remember exactly how I spent my first day - other than with a huge grin on my face.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act2 View Post
There is a company - I forget which - that ran some great little bits about how people spent their first day of retirement. I think that's pretty cool, doing something memorable that day. I'm years from that day still, but I'd love to hear ideas. How did or will you spend that first day? I wish I had a great idea for myself, but I don't. Yet.
My first day I went for a bike ride...

I actually retired 4 months before I orig. planned to so on the planned date
we took our son, his wife and 2 child. on a cruise. Best vacation we ever had!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Administrator

November 10th, 2009, was my first full day of retirement. I know EXACTLY what I did, because I posted about it on the "What did you do today" thread. Here's my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Day one of ER:

This morning I opened my eyes at 4:10 AM. I could have gone back to sleep, but it occurred to me that this day is MINE. So, I just couldn't! I got up, made a pot of coffee, and soaked up the dark and quiet of the very early morning and the early chirping of birds. I listened to the news when it came on, and watched the sun rise while reading the message board on my laptop.

When rush hour was mostly over, at around 8:45 or so, I left for the gym. There I did a one hour workout, and took the time to learn how to use the rowing machine, which I have never used. Traffic on the way home was a breeze.

After showering and changing, and resting for a little while, I decided to go shopping for a "good for me" present. A few weeks ago in my favorite dress shop I found some slacks that are very comfortable and wash easily, so I went back to that store and bought two more pairs. The cashier gave me a 10% senior discount that I didn't know about. She told me it is only exists on Tuesdays. So, I felt like my day was progressing pretty well!

Then I strolled about the strip mall for a while and enjoyed browsing through various stores. It was sunny out so I wore my sunglasses and enjoyed the weather. I loved being able to move around and be more active during the day, instead of being chained to my cubicle.

When I got home, I was tired, and napped on and off for several hours. Then I watched the news, and then played on my Wii for a while.

It's a ROUGH LIFE...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Prudential.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll start the day thusly...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'll start the day thusly...

Wouldn't it be preferable to do that the night before?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
A veritable suppository of wisdom!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think I would spend the first day of retirement getting rid of all the vestiges of my working life.

One of the first things I'd do is update my LinkedIn, which is the only social media thing I'm on (I'm not on Facebook or Twitter), and the only reason I ever joined in the first place was for career and job hunting reasons.

I've accumulated so many contacts over the years, that I'm going to clean that sucker out. I'll first update my status and title to "Retired" and then delete hundreds of contacts, leaving only 10 or so very close friends of minds. All the rest are people I've never really talked to anyway.

I also want to take two big garbage bags and start filling them with all the accumulated work junk over the years. In one, I'll put all the company clothing I've gotten over the years - jackets, shirts, etc, that I never use (I'm not a vendor swag kind of guy) and donate them. In the other garbage bag, I'm going to put all the other crap I've accumulated over the years (pens, mementos, meaningless plaques and awards, etc) and throw them away. I don't know why I kept all that stuff anyway, it just takes up space.

The only thing I want to keep from my career is the money in the bank. All the rest can go in the garbage.

I'm going to enjoy that day so much. Out with the old, in with the new, and never look back.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just didn't go to work. That was enough!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Good catch, LOL! But never too late.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
On second thought, waking one more time at dark thirty to really hit that snooze button would be worth it...

Old 02-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I just didn't go to work. That was enough!
I think that was about what I did but can't really remember. At the time I was focused on getting the old house ready to sell and moving from all that traffic so I didn't really relax until we were established in WV.

There were lots of little chores to be done with the new house and it was kind of neat being able to take all day to do just one of them. That was when I became more relaxed.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #15

I went for a bicycle ride. It started pouring out. One of the worst rain storms all year from what I remember. I got soaked, and yet still remember thinking this sure beats being in the office one more day!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I proudly attended my last child's graduation from college. Knowing all my kids were graduated and gainfully employed made knowing I was retired that much more enjoyable.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

My 1st day was Jan 6, 2014....I sat at my favorite slot machine having my morning coffee...cha ching!
Old 02-14-2014, 01:43 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I did absolutely NOTHING! Loved absorbing the transformation of the dream of ERing becoming a reality.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

No good ideas from me.

On my first day, I woke up at 5:30 and could not get back to sleep. Took my MIL to get an MRI later that day. Read a book. Two weeks later and I still feel like it's just a nice vacation. Thankfully the sense of loss I experienced faded after the first couple of days. At first, I felt pretty lost. After two weeks the "holy crap, this is awesome" feeling is back.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #20

I got up and took the kids to school then went home and took a nap. Just before going to sleep I remember thinking "WHAT have I done!?". I slept fine. Still do.