Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2011, 06:04 AM   #21

Time zones themselves are what confuse me. I grew up in the far eastern part of the Eastern time zone, and now I live in the far western part of it. The sunrise/sunset times still seem odd to me, because I "know" that it should be dark or light at a particular time in a particular season, but things are way off over here!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
One of my pups jumps (the one in my avatar) into bed each morning at 5:30 and lick my ear to tell me that it's time to get up ...
I'm curious as to how accurate he/she is. Within 10 minutes? 30 minutes?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

We don't miss DST out here one bit, although the sunrise varies by an hour or more over the course of the year.

One of the most controversial evolutions in the Navy is resetting the clocks as you're steaming to WestPac across the International Dateline. The reason it's controversial is because the clock shift affects the watchstander's rotations, making some watches longer or shorter. It also causes havoc with the galley's meal-prep timing.

The crew finally decided it was better to not shift the clocks until we were six hours off (the length of a submarine watch) and could just do it all at once. That way the only people to suffer were the OODs & quartermasters, who still had to figure out whether it was going to be light or dark out when they raised the periscope...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
My dog is accurate within five minutes. She wakes me up by shaking her head so her ears flap loudly.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
My dog is accurate within five minutes. She wakes me up by shaking her head so her ears flap loudly.
My dogs would get up between 5:30-5:45am. Now I'm waking them up!
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We don't miss DST out here one bit, although the sunrise varies by an hour or more over the course of the year.
One of the things I really appreciate about Paradise is the relatively stable daylight hours. Winter days are a bit shorter and summer days a bit longer, but there's none of the 10:30PM twilight of DST on the mainland at 40 degrees N latitude. The downside is that there is very little twilight here. Once the sun sets, you'd better do whatever you need light for within 15 minutes or you'd better have a flashlight. DW and I often say "Night fell!" shortly after sunset.

Someday, just to experience it, I'd like to spend a summer night in Alaska. A buddy from w*rk used to tell about fishing at midnight as the sun was going down. That has a certain appeal to ER type, I would think.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
One of the things I really appreciate about Paradise is the relatively stable daylight hours. Winter days are a bit shorter and summer days a bit longer, but there's none of the 10:30PM twilight of DST on the mainland at 40 degrees N latitude. The downside is that there is very little twilight here. Once the sun sets, you'd better do whatever you need light for within 15 minutes or you'd better have a flashlight. DW and I often say "Night fell!" shortly after sunset.

Someday, just to experience it, I'd like to spend a summer night in Alaska. A buddy from w*rk used to tell about fishing at midnight as the sun was going down. That has a certain appeal to ER type, I would think.
Back in the 1990s, a coworker of mine went to Alaska on vacation one summer for about 3 weeks. She told me in the time she was there, the sun rose one hour later and set one hour earlier at the end of her stay versus the start of her stay. Pretty weird, she told me.

Back in the summer of 2001, I was flying from NY to Cincinnati on my way to Portland, Oregon. The man sitting next to me showed me an oddity on his plane ticket which indicated the second leg of his flight going to Indianapolis. [Back then, Indianapolis was an hour behind Cincy during the summer time because most of Indiana did not observe DST.] His flight times, all local, showed him leaving Cincy at 3 PM but arriving at Indy at 2:45 PM because his connecting flight was only 45 minutes long even though he crossed from part of the Eastern Time Zone observing DST to another part of the Eastern Time Zone not observing DST (equivalent to CDT). It seemed like something from The Twilight Zone LOL!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
ack in the summer of 2001, I was flying from NY to Cincinnati on my way to Portland, Oregon. The man sitting next to me showed me an oddity on his plane ticket which indicated the second leg of his flight going to Indianapolis. [Back then, Indianapolis was an hour behind Cincy during the summer time because most of Indiana did not observe DST.] His flight times, all local, showed him leaving Cincy at 3 PM but arriving at Indy at 2:45 PM because his connecting flight was only 45 minutes long even though he crossed from part of the Eastern Time Zone observing DST to another part of the Eastern Time Zone not observing DST (equivalent to CDT). It seemed like something from The Twilight Zone LOL!
Believe me, living in Cincinnati, and doing some business in Indianapolis used to be weird beyond belief. It's only a two hour drive between the cities, but the time zone thing made everyone crazy. I actually knew people who lived about halfway between them, who had two clocks in the house labeled by the city they were set to.

Fortunately, thing have stabilized now, so we're all in the same time zone again, all year long.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #29

I've been dragging all week so I will conveniently blame it on DST. Very busy in the office too so that accounts for some of it.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I used to be on a submarine stationed out of Holy Loch, Scotland (Holy Loch Port, Argyll, Scotland - sheltered cruise terminal destination and deep anchorage at Holy Loch Marina, River Clyde, serving West of Scotland) in the 1980s. It was far enough north that during summers you could squeeze in an 18-hour workday topside.

Of course you paid that back during the winters. But it was so cold & dark then that people stayed on board instead of going on liberty, so you squeezed in an 18-hour workday anyway.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 03-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Believe me, living in Cincinnati, and doing some business in Indianapolis used to be weird beyond belief. It's only a two hour drive between the cities, but the time zone thing made everyone crazy. I actually knew people who lived about halfway between them, who had two clocks in the house labeled by the city they were set to.

Fortunately, thing have stabilized now, so we're all in the same time zone again, all year long.
In the early 60s the line separating Central and Mountain time followed the Missouri river through ND. Bismarck, the state capitol, is on the east side of the river and the town of Mandan is on the west so there were two towns only separated by a quarter mile wide river but an hour apart in time. They eventually moved the time zone boundary about 10 miles further west.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
In the early 60s the line separating Central and Mountain time followed the Missouri river through ND. Bismarck, the state capitol, is on the east side of the river and the town of Mandan is on the west so there were two towns only separated by a quarter mile wide river but an hour apart in time. They eventually moved the time zone boundary about 10 miles further west.
Similar to my Cincinnati story, my ladyfriend before she moved to New York in 2004 lived and worked in the Louisville (Kentucky) area for many years. Her work included a lot of traveling to satellite offices in southern Indiana, just across the Ohio River from Louisville but far enough north so that they were not in the few Indiana counties which observed DST.

During the summer months, these two area were an hour apart so there was often some confusion about appointment times. Often, there were patients waiting at these offices for an hour for her and her (medical) colleagues to arrive. Drove everyone nuts, she told me.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

DST should appeal to members of these forums. The "S" stands for Savings. Daylight is saved for a time when most people can enjoy and use it. Reportedly this ends up saving electricity and money. Savings could be increased if they would accept some darker mornings and extend it in the winter.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
He's within 5 minutes...

It's no different than the cows that return to the milking barn at the same time of day, regardless of DST or Standard time. Cows don't wear watches - that's udder nonsense ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #35

What's the problems again?
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:36 AM   #36

Do some places change their clocks in the spring and fall?

Really? Why?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:16 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I got my extra hour of sleep this morning - and it felt great!

Simple mantra: Fall forward, spring back.
Turn clocks forward in the spring.
Turn the clocks back in the fall

Spring Forward
Fall Back
theloneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:09 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
What's the problems again?
I have to have one of these. I went to town last Saturday to get a Sunday paper. I didn't snap until I saw the barber shop was open.
JmfromTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:36 AM   #39

Found a link to the Day Clock and am going to buy one.
The Funny Times Funny Gifts shop: DayClock
Old 03-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Found a link to the Day Clock and am going to buy one.
The Funny Times Funny Gifts shop: DayClock
Here, see who has a better deal on shipping:
https://www.dayclocks.com/store.asp?...s&categoryid=0