Join Early Retirement Today

Daylight saving time
Old 03-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Daylight saving time

After grumbling all week about the time change I finally got it through my thick head that I don't have to play anymore. This is an unexpected bonus and a darned good one.
JmfromTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Though I do wish they'd start church an hour later on the first day after moving the clocks forward.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #3

I'm just happy that the bedroom alarm clock and the "atomic" clock in the dining room handle the change by themselves (and the phones and computers, of course). I still had to change the clocks in the thermostat, microwave, range, coffeemaker, basement, and car. Eventually, I suppose these things will all have self-adjusting clocks when they're connected to the internet.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

From my standpoint, I'd prefer that they'd leave DST on for the entire year.
Sconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I get amused with the people who complain so much about losing an hour. It's the one time insomnia has its advantages-----every night I get less than eight hours sleep, so the switch to DST doesn't affect me at all! I've always wondered if people really feel a difference from the "lost" hour....
Old 03-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I got my extra hour of sleep this morning - and it felt great!

Simple mantra: Fall forward, spring back.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep, being retired means it doesn't matter. When I was working, it did. A lot at 4:30 in the morning. If DST was year around, we might as well use solar time and just have everything run an hour earlier.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I must really be slipping into retirement. I had no idea DST was today. If we didn't have a power flicker in the middle of the night the caused the clock on the stove to flash, I wouldn't have known. Not really a problem for me, but my kids might have cared when they showed up for school an hour late tomorrow. Well, maybe not.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Even though I'm retired, I still don't like it. I was sleeping later than I really wanted to, already.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmfromTx View Post
After grumbling all week about the time change I finally got it through my thick head that I don't have to play anymore.
But you do have to change about 15 clocks and devices, don't you?

Our power went out on Friday (PG&E afraid of tsunamis), so I decided not to ReLED (the official term), until today. I haven't done it yet, which is lucky, since the power went off twice today (wind storm).

DST is typical of stupid human ideas.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconie View Post
From my standpoint, I'd prefer that they'd leave DST on for the entire year.
Me too. I hate it when it gets dark at 4:30 or 5 PM in the winter months, it is so depressing. Especially now that I am ERed and never have to get up early any more so a later sunrise won't bother me. When I was working I hated coming home from work while it was dark.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i like standard time and wish we'd just stay on it.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Though I do wish they'd start church an hour later on the first day after moving the clocks forward.
Amen!!!
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Since Arizona doesn't like another hour of 110F temps during the summer, we don't switch. I did have to change my fancy atomic clock from Mountain to Pacific time since it automatically switched for me and doesn't have an option to ignore DST.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
though i do wish they'd start church an hour later on the first day after moving the clocks forward.
amen!! +1
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

We drove from the Eastern Time Zone into Central a week ago. Gained and hour, which was good. Reset all the clocks in the RV. A week later, they take the hour back, and we had to reset clocks again.

As an aside, Central Time Zone is messing with me. Everything I watch on T.V. comes on an hour early. I'm done watching at 8:00PM now. It's like the middle part of the country is trying to put me to bed early.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think DST is just silly. New Mexico is 3 miles east and so I cross the time line, every time I go to town. Most of the residents of Rodeo, NM(The most western town in NM), wish that they didn't have DST.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #18
gone traveling

One of my pups jumps (the one in my avatar) into bed each morning at 5:30 and lick my ear to tell me that it's time to get up ...

For the last two days, I've been able to sleep till 6:30. I'll hate to "fall back"...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

There is a very interesting historical discussion about DST here

Daylight saving time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I certainly don't miss getting up early in the dark, being stuck in a windowless cube farm all day, and driving home from w*rk after dark in the winter months. No wonder people at w*rk were so crabby.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:25 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I don't like DST. Now its 2 hours earlier in Az than Il. When I go to our Az condo, I usually get there around 10 pm, and wake up starving at 4 am. With no food in the house, I wait starving until 7 to go to breakfast. Later I eat dinner at 4 and pass out on the couch at 6 pm. It takes a while to adjust.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote