Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2016, 08:21 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Everyone knows the weather always warms right after DST, with that extra hour of sunlight and all.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I wish they would just abandon the whole concept of DST.
+1 And then all those stupid devices that think they know to change automatically, and they miss it by a week or two. So you change them back, then have to do it again in two weeks.

DST isn't fooling anyone, ditch it!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
+1 And then all those stupid devices that think they know to change automatically, and they miss it by a week or two. So you change them back, then have to do it again in two weeks.

DST isn't fooling anyone, ditch it!

-ERD50
It was the same Sunday morning for 20 years and then congress expanded the DST by about a month in 2007 so everything with the built in automatic changer of DST before that date, means you get to change it twice
Old 03-11-2016, 06:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Actually, that would be bad for the economy and food supply. There is a very good reason for it.

The government decided to give the farmers an additional hour of daylight in an effort to boost crop production. Soon after it was implemented, the extra hour of daylight helped crop yields by an average of ~6-7% more, than without the extra hour of daylight. Some people even think that an additional hour would even be better, and want to set the clocks forward by two hours.

On a macro level, it has helped reduce potential food shortages and increased grain production. That extra grain is used for feed and much of it can be exported to other countries.

Even the cows grow a bit faster with the extra hour as they can eat longer. Imagine an extra hour a day just to eat and grow. It really makes a difference when you multiply the effect over millions of cattle.

While it is an inconvenience with TV shows, remember how much better your life, and grocery bill, is because of it.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:02 AM   #25

I wish we'd stay on DST year-round (that is, just adjust all timezones 1 unit to the left). I much prefer having that extra daylight at the end of the day than in the morning. It's always depressing in the fall when we switch back to normal time. It was already getting dark too early, and then all of a sudden it gets dark WAAAY too early. You go to work, it's dark, you get home from work, it's already dark again. It wears on you.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
You go to work, it's dark, you get home from work, it's already dark again. It wears on you.

The obvious solution is to stop w*****g!!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:14 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Three letters that ruled my life for over 30 years. Like to do away with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I wish they would just abandon the whole concept of DST.
you're obviously not a bowler
Old 03-11-2016, 08:34 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to see the mountain and central time zones combined into 1 and without DST. It would make my Chicago/Phoenix transitions much easier.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #30

Even the cows grow a bit faster with the extra hour as they can eat longer. Imagine an extra hour a day just to eat and grow. It really makes a difference when you multiply the effect over millions of cattle.

[/QUOTE]

Do cows have wristwatches?
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:39 AM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
I wish we'd stay on DST year-round (that is, just adjust all timezones 1 unit to the left). I much prefer having that extra daylight at the end of the day than in the morning. It's always depressing in the fall when we switch back to normal time. It was already getting dark too early, and then all of a sudden it gets dark WAAAY too early. You go to work, it's dark, you get home from work, it's already dark again. It wears on you.
I agree but I can still remember Britain's experiment with this in the late 1960's when they tried it out for 3 years. The problem with darker mornings is for children going to school. In the UK a lot of children still walk to school, and schools have always started later (8:30 - 9am) in the UK than where we've ever lived in the USA, partly so children are not walking to school in the dark.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #32

Why not just leave it up to local option? Who needs standardization?

Half Hour and 45-Minute Time Zones
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #33

Quote:
I much prefer having that extra daylight at the end of the day than in the morning.
Isn't this one of the joys of FIRE?

I adjust my rising time as the days get longer - I love to see the sunrise. And I often sleep in a bit later in the winter.

If you control your time, you can align you activities to when the sun is up.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Anyone here from Indiana, the state which until a few years ago had the most screwed-up rules about time zones and its partial observance of DST. I don't live there but I am glad it straightened them out by the time I went there back in 2014.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #35

I used to have friends who lived in the little town of College Corner, which is right on the Indiana-Ohio border. Just about everyone in town had two clocks set up in one room, for Indiana and Ohio time. The situation was confusing enough that even people who lived in the middle of it couldn't keep it straight in their minds.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #36

I think this says it best:
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #37

I think Walmart has the 25 hour clocks on sale now.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #38

This weekend is very stressful for those places open 24/7. Fortunately during the autumn they finally get an hour break.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #39

[QUOTE=mystang52;1707316]
Quote:

Do cows have wristwatches?
haha. Of course they do not have wrist watches. They do understand an extra hour of daylight. They are a diurnal animal, and sleep at night. After DST, they can sleep less, and by default, graze more. An extra hour of grazing adds a lot of weight to the animal. Even free-range chickens benefit from this.

Of course that extra light comes from somewhere, and in the winter when we have an hour less, it makes up for that time. Generally, farmers only have older animals in the winter, and they are fully grown.

For a fully grown animal, you want them to eat less, and the shorter day when DST ends then saves feed.

But of course, most people are not farmers, so they do not understand these sophisticated concepts.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I think this says it best:
Perfect
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote