Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Now that I am 63 less people see it as a big deal.
How true.

It's just another phase of life we grow out of ...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used to be a little uneasy about telling casual acquaintances I was retired. But that wore off after about 6 months into ER. I don't go into details as to how I managed to achieve my ER, as the subject often changes which is fine by me.

In my 10 years of volunteer work with some local school Scrabble clubs, two of the teacher/coaches have taken an ER in the 3 years I have been ERed, so we have had the chance to share our ER stories when we have met up or chatted. Before they ERed, they were jealous of me. Now the other teacher/coaches are jealous of them and me LOL!

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just say: We worked our asses off for 30 years and scrimped and saved, and now I don't have to go to work..great huh?"

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I generally give a context-specific answer. "Private investment manager for a family office" is as close to a job as I have, in terms of where my income comes from.

When closing my last account at GigaBank last week, the Vice President of Account Services (one step up from a teller) kept pushing back with options to reduce fees, but when she asked what my job was and if my employer could do direct deposits, I pretty much ended things by simply saying "I'm unemployed."

Pick whatever answer you like to continue or kill the conversation, as appropriate. :-)
Old 02-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I feel the discomfort with "I'm retired" too. I think age plays a big role in the difficulty, if you are in your early 50's or younger, and don't look your age. I equate this with what housewives (or husbands) have had to go through in their lives when asked - where do you work?

I also feel that my DW is uncomfortable with telling work associates that her husband is "retired".

I love the "self employed financial manager for a private client" line!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Why do you not want to answer, "I'm a retired nurse." Simple, clear, and truthful, and I think that would answer any questions. These days, nobody is jealous when you say something like that, because in the back of their minds they are thinking that maybe you are really unemployed and not wanting to admit it.

I do this and say, "I'm a retired oceanographer", and usually the next question is, "Where did you work?" I tell them, and the conversation drifts into other areas. Never a problem for me.
Thanks. I've been saying I am/was an Engineer or Plant Manager. Like your approach better.

I don't like the euphemistic answers as much, too cutesy. YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

For the first 2 years, when I'm was asked, I said I was on sabbatical, now into the 3rd yr its on hiatus.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #28

I've never had any hesitation in telling folks that I am a retired engineer. I often meet new folks at the Y, and sometimes while chatting for the 2nd or 3rd occasion, I can see them wondering what I am doing in the middle of the day in the middle of the week at the Y, so I will volunteer the information, in case they are embarrassed to ask for fear of hearing that I lost my job or something.

In 2 years I've never felt any animosity or jealousy.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

People are rarely jealous of ERs, unless they are rich enough to lead very obviously posh lives.

Otherwise, they just think that the relatively young non-working person is some kind of loser.

Ha
Old 02-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Hi Ha, your avatar has changed dramatically. I'm wondering what the story is there.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Hi Ha, your avatar has changed dramatically. I'm wondering what the story is there.
Did you miss the memo about "Change-Your-Avatar Week"?

Oh that's right. We didn't send it to you because your avatar/painting is so strikingly beautiful and unusual, that we didn't want you to change it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Well, I must be loosing it. I did look up change-your-avatar week and did find a few links: Change Your Avatar Week! (giveaway included) - BattleForge Forum

But wrong forum. However, I noticed that you changed yours too W2R. From a hot chick to a hot kitten. Some hidden meaning there?
Old 02-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

Did you miss the memo about "Change-Your-Avatar Week"?

Oh that's right. We didn't send it to you because your avatar/painting is so strikingly beautiful and unusual, that we didn't want you to change it.
All of the changes of avatar's gave me the intellectual curiousity, the figure out the process of having one. And since I was watching an episode of Cannon at the time....
Old 02-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Well, I must be loosing it. I did look up change-your-avatar week and did find a few links: Change Your Avatar Week! (giveaway included) - BattleForge Forum

But wrong forum. However, I noticed that you changed yours too W2R. From a hot chick to a hot kitten. Some hidden meaning there?
Maybe we just like the same avatars. Nope, no hidden meaning. I just thought this kitten was so adorable and huggable, and I wanted to switch my avatar for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
All of the changes of avatar's gave me the intellectual curiousity, the figure out the process of having one. And since I was watching an episode of Cannon at the time....
Excellent! You now have your very own avatar too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I decided to go straight.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I decided to go straight.
I'm curious who's face that is (showing my ignorance here, but what else is new). Doesn't look like Hoover.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm curious who's face that is (showing my ignorance here, but what else is new). Doesn't look like Hoover.
That is Carlos Gardel, the King of Argentine Tango singers. He died in a plane crash in his mid-forties.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Otherwise, they just think that the relatively young non-working person is some kind of loser.

Ha
Previously when asked what I do in retirement, I would just say I'm good at doing nothing. No one inquires anymore. Now days some of my friends refer to me as 'easy money'. Not sure about the money part but I am easy.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am getting old enough, that no one asks.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
People are rarely jealous of ERs, unless they are rich enough to lead very obviously posh lives.

Ha
+1 When I first retired at 56 I would guess 70-80% of people would be glad for me (some a bit envious but not at all hostile). Others would seem a little uncomfortable and I generally felt they disapproved from a "you should work at your age" point of view. I had never associated the term loser with that approbation but I think that is probably how they saw me. I think that might be more common in a place like DC with a high proportion of strivers many of whose self worth is tied to their their jobs.