Join Early Retirement Today

Debit, Credit or Cash
Old 02-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Debit, Credit or Cash

Thank you...that's reassuring. But...I've not signed up for anything with Target.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 12:11 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

We charge almost everything to either mileage or cash-back rewards credit cards, and have done so for many years. (I got started on these in my early career when I traveled a lot for work.)

Rarely write checks and haven't balanced a checkbook in ages. I do check my online accounts about once a week, but I have a buffer and a good sense of whether or not I'm exceeding 'normal' expenditures. We also use Quicken for monthly recording and tracking purposes and CU bill pay.

But I also use a debit card for occasional ATM withdrawals. We used to use ATMs for cash conversions when traveling outside the US, but won't do that again, unless we go into a local bank. Six months after returning from MX several years ago, had my checking, savings and line of credit swiped to the tune of $8k before it was noticed (by me) just a day or two after it started. Luckily, the CU reimbursed all the stolen money. (The rigged ATM was connected to the front of a convenience store in a busy tourist area.)

Old 02-08-2014, 03:54 AM   #63
Confused about dryer sheets

For many years we've used the highest cash back cards fo just about everything. We write down every transaction in our checkbook register like it was a check. That way we know exactly how much we're spending and when the bill is paid in full each month there are no surprises. Since all of the charges are subtracted when we write them in it's easy to pay the full amount. I also use mint.com to check every card daily and dashlane.com to make and remember strong passwords.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

You can put me in the club of using CC for all purchases and we keep track of our spending using the Mint App. For me it is less about the security than it is about getting rewards for my normal spending habits. As others have commented in this post it has become a game to see what we can get with points. So far this year we have used points for free flights to Florida and book a hotel in DC for a 3 day family get-away. We are currently banking points for flights in 2015 to visit my brother's family in Germany.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #65

Mainly use cc for online purchases and travel. Have used occasionally for car purchase (at auction) or emergency purchases. Paid in full monthly. I can also say that but carry a balance.......how would Internetland know the difference. I know many people that don't pay in full monthly. Any rewards on cc are used against the balance. I have a set amount of cash for weekly expenses and that's it. I usually have a little cash left over that goes into a fund for gifts, parties, metal (for one of my hobbies).
Old 02-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

I also use a rewards credit card for as many of my purchases as possible. These are purchases I am going to make anyway, so why not get a little something back in the process. I pay the balance in full each month to avoid interest charges. The credit card also extends the warranty on certain purchases. If a transaction goes awry, my bank account will not be drained. It'll be up to the credit card company and merchant to straighten it out. I only use the debit/ATM card to make cash withdrawals at a no fee ATM. I usually only have to use the ATM 3-4 times a year.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I know many people that don't pay in full monthly. Any rewards on cc are used against the balance.
Any interest payable would far outweigh rewards accumulated.........(I learned, long ago, that "Interest is something you earn, not something you pay".)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

I bank online but use cash or debit for everything. I got into trouble with credit cards before and I'm not strong enough not to use them for unnecessary purchases that will take me five years to pay back and cost three times as much. I know my personality.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by linny727 View Post
I got into trouble with credit cards before and I'm not strong enough not to use them for unnecessary purchases that will take me five years to pay back and cost three times as much. I know my personality.
A wise man knows his limitations:

Old 02-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
I also use a rewards credit card for as many of my purchases as possible. These are purchases I am going to make anyway, so why not get a little something back in the process. I pay the balance in full each month to avoid interest charges. The credit card also extends the warranty on certain purchases. If a transaction goes awry, my bank account will not be drained. It'll be up to the credit card company and merchant to straighten it out. I only use the debit/ATM card to make cash withdrawals at a no fee ATM. I usually only have to use the ATM 3-4 times a year.
I got $600 back from Discover last year for refrigerator repairs under their extended warranty program. Sweet!!!
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #71

Years ago I applied for an Amazon credit card just so I could get $50 off the running shoes I was buying. They gave me a huge limit (either $30,000 or $40,000 limit, can't remember for sure). Shortly thereafter, they sent me an offer to use a check advance for no interest for 6 months, and no transaction fee.
I triple checked the fine print, wrote a check for cash for my full credit limit, deposited it in ING, and earned a hefty free interest before paying back in full before the 6 months were up. Never saw a no-transaction fee offer since then.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

With all the security breaches lately, we have gone to mostly cash. I still use a cash back rewards credit card to pay our utilities, but that's about it these days.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #73

Charge everything to one cash back card.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

I was hacked after the Target mess with charges being made in Moscow, Russia. I had to cancel the card ASAP the day before our long planned for two week vacation. Thank God I kept my old Chase card for. backup. I am becoming more Leary about credit card transactions. I am thinking about going to cash.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

I charge everything I can. When you can get 1-6% on every purchase you make why wouldn't you charge to a card? Plus with so much competition between the companies I've never had an issue disputing a charge or dealing with fraud. 1 quick phone call and I'm all good to go!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone use Experian to monitor/track their credit?

I requested my credit score (for a $1.00 & didn't read the fine print). This request also gave me a 7 day trial of monitoring which I didn't realize until the credit card bill came. It's $21 a month. I called today to and canceled.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Anyone use Experian to monitor/track their credit?

I requested my credit score (for a $1.00 & didn't read the fine print). This request also gave me a 7 day trial of monitoring which I didn't realize until the credit card bill came. It's $21 a month. I called today to and canceled.
I have been using myfico for $15 a month. Now Discover is showing FICO scores for free, so I'm thinking of dropping the myfico plan. I do like the credit report activity alerts, but I am not sure they are worth $15 a month, since I no longer need the FICO part.