Freedom to do and go anything/anywhere you want
Have the love and closeness of family
Health, and healthcare under your own control
A plan for the later years
You own "possible" bucket list
Social comfort, as you wish it to be
Your dream home base
Physical objects, house, car, belongings that avoid "want"
..................................................................................................

Based on the above responses, and obvious disinterest, I am asking Moderators to delete this thread.

"Just doing it"

I say this because so many of us went through that OMY issue. Taking the step and doing it is success on many levels for us ERers. Many of the points about financial security, etc. are important, for sure, but so many of us plan it to death. Most of my coworkers cannot take the move, even if they want to or could! They admitted as much to me. Therefore, they have FAILED at retirement already -- before they started.

imoldernu: don't delete the thread. People are just blowing off morning steam. Part of having fun in ER.

..................................................................................................

Based on the above responses, and obvious disinterest, I am asking Moderators to delete this thread.

Give it some time. It sounds like the topic could bring some good info. I think once the jokes are over we will get some good replies. By the way I enjoy the jokes as well

"Just doing it"

I say this because so many of us went through that OMY issue. Taking the step and doing it is success on many levels for us ERers. Many of the points about financial security, etc. are important, for sure, but so many of us plan it to death. Most of my coworkers cannot take the move, even if they want to or could! They admitted as much to me. Therefore, they have FAILED at retirement already -- before they started.

imoldernu: don't delete the thread. People are just blowing off morning steam. Part of having fun in ER.
I remember the quote " Why worry about these small, small things. I don't stress. You never hear of anyone dying of happiness". Retirement success is whatever you make of it.

A picture is worth 100 words.

Attachments

• 4EB0AF35-EDF8-44AF-9810-4B388F9DBCF3.jpg
    4EB0AF35-EDF8-44AF-9810-4B388F9DBCF3.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 109
Enough in assets to feel safe in your time horizon
Freedom to do and go anything/anywhere you want
Have the love and closeness of family
Health, and healthcare under your own control
A plan for the later years
You own "possible" bucket list
Social comfort, as you wish it to be
Your dream home base
Physical objects, house, car, belongings that avoid "want"

I like your list!

Good Old Days

"Never thought we'd get old, maybe we're still young
Maybe we always look back and think it was better than it was
Maybe these are the moments
Maybe I've been missing what it's about
Been scared of the future, thinking about the past
While missing out on now
We've come so far, I guess I'm proud
And I ain't worried about the wrinkles around my smile
I've got some scars, I've been around
I've felt some pain, I've seen some things, but I'm here now
Those good old days"

Macklemore

For me, it’s doing what I choose to do every day, combined with being able to travel as long as we’d like (limited only by our dog). Decent health and secure finances are necessary conditions to a successful retirement.

I describe it like this...

Remember when you were a kid and got out of school for summer break? The freedom, the fun, the reckless abandonment? How you loved to get up and get the day started; not exactly sure what adventures would come your way, but certain to delight and entertain! Well, for me retirement is exactly that but with a couple exceptions; Summer break is going to last much longer than when I was a kid, and more importantly...I don't have to go home when the street light comes on. :)

Feeling that I'm financially secure for the rest of my life,
feeling that I'm done all of the 'big' things in life,
but still looking forward to doing many more things before my time is up,
all at my own pace and discretion.

You don't work, but you can still eat.

I describe it like this...

Remember when you were a kid and got out of school for summer break? The freedom, the fun, the reckless abandonment? How you loved to get up and get the day started; not exactly sure what adventures would come your way, but certain to delight and entertain! Well, for me retirement is exactly that but with a couple exceptions; Summer break is going to last much longer than when I was a kid, and more importantly...I don't have to go home when the street light comes on. :)

I remember... Thanks, well said.

By choice, not knowing what day of the week it is.

Doing whatever you feel like doing whenever you feel like doing it.
It helps when your retirement income greatly exceeds your expenses.
And as long as your healthy, its all possible.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom