Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-20-2008, 07:27 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday I sat down and figured out the difference in moving to Alabama and Delaware. The State tax does a state in every single time for me. I may end up there, myself. With Delaware's insanely low property tax rate (similar to Alabama, really) for those over 65, which is fast approaching for me, and no sales tax, the State income tax of 5.95% is tolerable.
Their insurance costs don't seem to be that high either.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:01 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Yesterday I sat down and figured out the difference in moving to Alabama and Delaware. The State tax does a state in every single time for me. I may end up there, myself. With Delaware's insanely low property tax rate (similar to Alabama, really) for those over 65, which is fast approaching for me, and no sales tax, the State income tax of 5.95% is tolerable.
Their insurance costs don't seem to be that high either.
Orchidflower, we visited Huntsville, Alabama last year and I really think you might like it there, a lot! When you get a break from your caretaker responsibilities, I would urge you to spend a week to go there and check it out.

We had been considering Huntsville for retirement, but even though it seems like a great place to live we wanted someplace a little more remote and lazy/sedate. But I think it is a great town and could be a contender on your list if you are thinking about Alabama.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
The problem I found was a lack of things to do, which won't bother me that much as you are about a 1 to 2 hour drive from DC, Philly, NYC, etc.
I always knew it was close to Philadelphia but was surprized it wasn't that far from NYC . According to map quest Lewes Beach , De. is a little over two hours to Phila. and Washington D.C and three and a half hours to NYC . Not a bad distance for a week end jaunt .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
And do us all a favor and stay in flyover country.
You mean "gods country" don't you - don't worry, I get around though, never know where you might bump into me - I might be sitting next to you right now!!!

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe." Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-20-2008, 05:38 PM   #25

I've pretty much narrowed it down to certain Florida cities (no State income tax is appealing plus lots of geezers there), Alabama and Delaware. All good for retiring or while still working taxwise. I've done my homework aplenty....now to visit when I am thru with my duty here.
And thanks for the Huntsville tip, Want2retire.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've pretty much narrowed it down to certain Florida cities (no State income tax is appealing plus lots of geezers there),
Help me on this topic of geezers. I don't think I am do anything better than I could 20 years ago, and some things not quite so well.

Why do you find them (us) attractive?

Ha
Old 04-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Help me on this topic of geezers. I don't think I am do anything better than I could 20 years ago, and some things not quite so well.

Ha
Checked your mirror lately?
Old 04-20-2008, 06:39 PM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

Ha

Maybe you haven't noticed but after a certain age there is a shortage of men . So if guys happen to survive to geezer age you are hot property ! Of course the older woman younger guy thing is gaining popularity so you'd better enjoy your popularity while it lasts !
Old 04-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Checked your mirror lately?

Actually Rewahoo guys usually age well as long as they don't get into hiking up their pants and wearing white shoes and pastel sport jackets .
Old 04-20-2008, 06:56 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Actually Rewahoo guys usually age well as long as they don't get into hiking up their pants and wearing white shoes and pastel sport jackets .
Please don't make fun of my wardrobe...
Old 04-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #31

This thread is great! Geezers, cougars, hiked up pants!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha
'Cause we're all we got...

If you're not growing, you're decaying.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I live in MD and travel through DE quite a bit. Lots of small towns, quaint, affordable, just off the beaten path, but not too far off for retirement purposes. Beachfront areas getting over-developed and over priced like Ocean City, MD. I was thinking maybe I should retire in PA (no tax on pensions or clothing) near the DE border to shop for everything else. MD just raised sales tax to 6% and income and property taxes are next. I am seriously thinking I will not be able to afford living here when I retire in 10 years. Older brother moved to WV, like Walt. I'd prefer to keep DE a secret for the next 10 years.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:24 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I live in MD and travel through DE quite a bit. Lots of small towns, quaint, affordable, just off the beaten path, but not too far off for retirement purposes. Beachfront areas getting over-developed and over priced like Ocean City, MD. I was thinking maybe I should retire in PA (no tax on pensions or clothing) near the DE border to shop for everything else. MD just raised sales tax to 6% and income and property taxes are next. I am seriously thinking I will not be able to afford living here when I retire in 10 years. Older brother moved to WV, like Walt. I'd prefer to keep DE a secret for the next 10 years.
Be sure to double-check property taxes in PA if you do this. They can be pretty high, depending on where you are and how much house you need.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #35

haha: I find geezers like me attractive, because I are one. I want some friends my own age, and, particularly, would like to find a male companion when I am thru with my duties here. Done the younger man-older woman thing before more than once. Not interested anymore really in that. Would like to find someone around my own age (give or take 10 years is close enough for me), SO you have to go where the geezers are living.
NOW, if I can't find Mr. Adequate among the geezers...well, then...back to younger men. I will be forced. Someone has to do it. It will be a sacrifice on my part.
Moemg has it right: men geezers are VERY hot property among old lady geezers.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:58 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
If you like strip-mall country, then you can live on the border of PA and DE. I used to live about 15 miles north of the border, and I hated driving from southern PA to DE on my way to DC. The main drags are UGLY. I always thought that the author of The Geography of Nowhere must have been driving through the border when the inspiration for his book struck him.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
If you like strip-mall country, then you can live on the border of PA and DE. I used to live about 15 miles north of the border, and I hated driving from southern PA to DE on my way to DC. The main drags are UGLY. I always thought that the author of The Geography of Nowhere must have been driving through the border when the inspiration for his book struck him.
Yeah, lots of strip malls here. I'm probably in the same area as Buns used to be, and traffic is prohibitive. It can be pretty brutal between 3:30 or so and 6:30 on weekdays. Not so bad if you're retired, though, and can avoid those times. We also avoid restaurants on Fri and Sat nights, both in the Western Philly suburbs and Northern DE, due to the long waits before getting seated.

Still, winters aren't too bad (IMO), only about three days per year when you'd really rather not be on the roads. Many people in SE PA shop in DE. My 50" plasma was purchased there. Technically, as a PA resident if you buy something in The Home of Tax Free Shopping, you're supposed to mail a check for sales tax to the PA government. But I've never met anyone who has done so.

DW and I aren't entirely sure if we'll stay in this area when we retire. Housing costs are still pretty high for houses in convenient areas, though they drop the farther you get away from Philly.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
Hello!

Has anyone considered retiring/relocating to Delaware? It is very appealing due to its location (within in 2 hours to the Major East Coast Metropolitan Areas), low cost of living and it's tax structure. People tend to focus on states with no income tax, such as Florida, Texas and Nevada. However, when retiring, it seems as though the the biggest burden is property taxes and sales tax. There's no state sales tax, property taxes are relatively low, and homeowners 65 and older qualify for a tax credit on half of their school taxes, up to $500. Delaware does have a maximum state income tax of 5.95%, but Social Security benefits are exempt.

Delaware has also had a presence in the "Best Places to Retire" Lists as well as Where To Retire Magazine's "Tax Heaven and Tax Hells" under Best Tax Heavens (beat by Anchorage, Alaska - but the climate is much colder there!)

I am curious to hear your thoughts, there seems to be alot of interest in retirees in the Lewes/Rehoboth Beach (annual property taxes about 1000) area as well as Kent County (annual property taxes range from 600 to 800)

Would love to hear what you think If so, why and where? If not, why not?

Thank you!
I was born and raised in DE. I might consider moving back to the southern part for retirement (due to lower property taxes).
I can't say much positive stuff for the public school systems in the northern part, as I was in/out of public/private my entire educational life, and the private schools won hands down.
I'd love to have one of those old style homes with large foyer, staircase, wraparound porch, huge windows, and ornate woodwork.
I'm still considering Alabama as retirement location for us. But that's something we'll look more at in the next 10+ years.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #39

I used to live in Baltimore County, MD. When we moved to VT, my older daughter was still living in Baltimore City and we considered buying a small condo there to stay in when we wanted to visit her or get to the big city. Turned out we couldn't find anything cheap enough. We briefly considered looking in Wilimington, DE so we could have easy access to Baltimore and a number of other places in the Mid-Atlantic, but never pursued it seriously. But I believe the prices would be better in Wilmington than Baltimore.