Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Dell Inspiron 6000
Old 01-04-2006, 09:22 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

So, what do you think of the Inspiron 6000? I want a notebook and am seriously thinking of getting one. It would be used mostly for email, pic swapping with the family, and maybe some home office uses.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2006, 10:21 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

In college, I learned how to program on a VAX/VMS machine, but soon became a Unix weenie. When personal computers started becoming common, I tried a friend's Macintosh, and promptly crashed it somehow. I looked up the error code that was shown on the screen in the user's manual, hoping to find some kind of helpful debugging information so I could at least avoid making the same mistake, and found only some entry like, "Your Mac has crashed. Please reboot and try again, or contact the software vendor." That utterly useless response so outraged me that I never touched a Mac again for several years after that. Even now I find them incredibly unintuitive to use, even worse than Windows machines. They just never seem to do what you want or expect them to do. But at least now one can pop up a shell window and get some work done, from what I understand.

Bpp

Old 01-04-2006, 10:24 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymom
So, what do you think of the Inspiron 6000? I want a notebook and am seriously thinking of getting one. It would be used mostly for email, pic swapping with the family, and maybe some home office uses.
It's a nice basic laptop. * If you're considering a lower-end configuration of the 6000, you might also look at the B120/B130. * Similar specs and (usually) lower prices. * *Dell is about to refresh their notebook lineup (probably starting tomorrow, in fact), so you might wait a week or three for some blow-out deals on existing models.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:45 AM   #24

Dell makes some decent machines in terms of horsepower and performance, but I far prefer Lenovo (formerly IBM) Thinkpads for their great keyboards. Plus, I've found that Dell laptops often get very hot, and therefore become uncomfortable to work on for long periods of time.

If you want cheap, go Dell. If you want quality, go Thinkpad.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:16 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm running a 2.5 year old Toshiba laptop with XP and a year old imac. The imac has already been in for a replaced "midplane assembly" ($900 but covered under warranty) and is showing signs of needing a motherboard replacement (overheating and shutting down frequently and without warning). The Toshiba? Over twice as old and completely trouble free. If you're a slave to fashion, pay for the apple extended warranty, you're gonna need it. Also be prepared to pay a premium for lesser content and fewer labels of software. No more macs for me.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:14 AM   #26

Dell intro'd some interesting new products today at CES.* *Over-the-top monsters, like a desktop with 4 graphics cards, 30" LCD, and a laptop with a 20" LCD.* *Sort of the equivalent of Ford selling monster trucks.

Anyway, they also intro'd some new mainstream models (I like the E1705, which replaces the 9300), and they have a so-so sale on the Inspiron 1300 (aka B130 -- Dell has gone crazy with naming and branding), which is essentially equivalent to a low-spec Inspiron 6000.

$499 for 15.4" widescreen model
Old 01-06-2006, 07:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Anyway, they also intro'd some new mainstream models (I like the E1705, which replaces the 9300), and they have a so-so sale on the Inspiron 1300 (aka B130 -- Dell has gone crazy with naming and branding), which is essentially equivalent to a low-spec Inspiron 6000.

$499 for 15.4" widescreen model
Talk about a tiny hard drive (40 gigs) and RAM (256 MB).
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 01-06-2006, 11:14 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Jay...have you bought one of those lenovo built thinkpads? Loved the thinkpads when my work gave them to me for free, but i've noticed the prices have dropped drastically since lenovo bought the brand. I'm presuming the quality of construction and components may have gone down with the price.

30" lcd. They make them that tiny?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
30" lcd.* They make them that tiny?
Yeah, I know.* * Anybody can hook their computer up to their big-screen TV, but this puppy has 2560x1600 pixels and requires a 7800GTX to drive it.

Did you see the Renegade?* *Dell has an in-house airbrush artist now to paint flames on the case.* *Going for the NASCAR market, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Talk about a tiny hard drive (40 gigs) and RAM (256 MB).
The 1300/B130 a low-end system, but those things are easy to upgrade.* *I think another stick of RAM would set you back all of $20 these days.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:23 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Yeah, I know. Anybody can hook their computer up to their big-screen TV, but this puppy has 2560x1600 pixels and requires a 7800GTX to drive it.
Who cares? Mines bigger.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Who cares?* Mines bigger.
I didn't want to say this in front of the ladies, but my front projector has a VGA connector. 100-inch diagonal, baby! (And, yeah, I'll ask the doctor if I can get that diagonal thing fixed.)
Old 01-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Mine too. I get 110" but I have to keep the room fairly dim to get a good bright picture. Unfortunately I had to put away since the baby became mobile...he loves wires. Thought about mounting it up on the ceiling (dont go there) a couple of times but we've been getting by with the 55" LCoS set.

Also thought about fiddling around with mounting the projector inside the 50" big screen that just blew up two weeks ago. I already gutted the big screen. Not sure if the one-gun little dlp will throw a big enough picture off the mirror to light up the whole screen like the 3 gun crt did though. Got an old tiny dolby digital receiver and a couple of decent speakers I could mount into the case, hook the whole thing up to an x-10 on/off button, few tweaks to the universal remote control...

What DO you do all day?!?
Old 01-06-2006, 12:38 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
The 1300/B130 a low-end system, but those things are easy to upgrade. I think another stick of RAM would set you back all of $20 these days.
Speaking of which, how easy is it to upgrade laptops in general? Do any of them still use proprietary memory/HDs? How hard is it to get the case open and perform upgrades?

Old 01-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Not too tough. Most have standardized RAM these days and the memory and hard drive are usually a screw and access panel from removal. Some slim lappies need a slim hard drive. You'll see the drive height on laptop drives generally well advertised, make sure they one you buy is the same height or slimmer than the one you're replacing.

Processor upgrades can SOMETIMES be done with substantial disassembly/reassembly. Every time I've torn down a laptop that far I've usually ended up with some small plastic part or other that doesnt seem to go anywhere.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Mine too.* I get 110" but I have to keep the room fairly dim to get a good bright picture.* Unfortunately I had to put away since the baby became mobile...he loves wires.* Thought about mounting it up on the ceiling (dont go there) a couple of times but we've been getting by with the 55" LCoS set.
My ceiling is tongue-in-groove (don't go there either), so cutting holes wasn't really an option. * I got one of those floor-to-ceiling pole mount things instead.

Quote:
the 50" big screen that just blew up two weeks ago.
You too, eh? * Last week, I just discovered what happens when you overdrive a Toshiba Cinema series. * Smoke happens.

Quote:
Speaking of which, how easy is it to upgrade laptops in general? * Do any of them still use proprietary memory/HDs? *How hard is it to get the case open and perform upgrades?
Very easy for most Dells. * A door on the bottom for RAM access, and screw or two holds in the HD caddy. * Parts available from places like newegg.com.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
this puppy has 2560x1600 pixels

(drool)

Love the 1920x1200 on my girlfriend's 9300 laptop, but that would be 78% more pixely goodness.

A 20" laptop sounds interesting too. But, back to reality, I'm not likely to buy anything anytime soon. Maybe when can get a big WUXGA 60P TV that can also be hooked up to PC, doesn't have disabling "protection" built in, and doesn't hurt my eyes, for about $500 or so.
Or when can get a bigscreen laptop with WQXGA (or better) for under $1000.
Like I said, not anytime soon.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I got one of those floor-to-ceiling pole mount things instead.
You didn't say not to go there on that one...
Old 01-06-2006, 04:10 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
My ceiling is tongue-in-groove...I got one of those floor-to-ceiling pole mount things....Smoke happens... A door on the bottom for RAM access, and screw or two...
Wab - I am really intrigued with your hobby. I want that you should make a video of a typical Sat night at home for the forum. Please!
Old 01-06-2006, 04:23 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

I would like a super light, small, durable lap top for traveling. Any recommendations?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I would like a super light, small, durable lap top for traveling.* Any recommendations?
If money is no object, the IBM X-series (I think X41 is the latest) is great.

Dell makes a superlight (2.5lbs) called the Latitude X1, but it's just about to be EOL'd. Very nice, but not very fast and small battery doesn't last very long.

I used to love superlights, but these days I prefer a 4lb lappy with an integrated optical drive and *beautiful* glossy 12" widescreen -- the Inspiron 700m (might be called the 710m now). Fast, rugged, full-featured, cheap, and wonderful LCD. Only downside is a couple of undersized keys that take a while to get used to.