Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Dentist in Sarasota
Old 11-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 44
Dentist in Sarasota

Darn. I found a great dentist in Sarasota and now my husband's insurance is changing. She is not in the new insurance network. So....I'm back to square one. Does anyone have a great dentist in Sarasota? I need one who is part of Bluecare (the Blue Cross/Blue Shield network).

Thanks.
__________________

__________________
If not now, when?
inkitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkitnow View Post
Darn. I found a great dentist in Sarasota and now my husband's insurance is changing. She is not in the new insurance network. So....I'm back to square one. Does anyone have a great dentist in Sarasota? I need one who is part of Bluecare (the Blue Cross/Blue Shield network).

Thanks.
Just a thought for you: I have a similar problem with my particular "flavor" of bc/bs. My dentist is "out of network". The only issue is when his charges exceed the networks negotiated prices. At that point, I have to pay the difference. Everything else (deductible, co-pay, etc.) works exactly the same. Over the past 4 years, its' only cost me a few dollars extra OOP.

So, you might check with you insurance and see how they will cover you with your favorite dentist. You may find out it is not the problem you think. Of course, if it is, you will find that out and have to deal with it. Worth a try. Good luck and hey, YMMV.
__________________

__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 14,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Just a thought for you: I have a similar problem with my particular "flavor" of bc/bs. My dentist is "out of network". The only issue is when his charges exceed the networks negotiated prices. At that point, I have to pay the difference. Everything else (deductible, co-pay, etc.) works exactly the same. Over the past 4 years, its' only cost me a few dollars extra OOP.

So, you might check with you insurance and see how they will cover you with your favorite dentist. You may find out it is not the problem you think. Of course, if it is, you will find that out and have to deal with it. Worth a try. Good luck and hey, YMMV.
We did this for 15 years. We had found a great dentist we really liked and he was well worth the few extra dollars we had to pay. Sometimes it was only $1 extra for a procedure.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
steelyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We did this for 15 years. We had found a great dentist we really liked and he was well worth the few extra dollars we had to pay. Sometimes it was only $1 extra for a procedure.
I'm soon to hit this problem too. I'm thinking it will be worth it to cover the non-covered costs for the benefit of a good dentist. I will have no dental insurance until I figure out where I can get it.
__________________
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 14,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I'm soon to hit this problem too. I'm thinking it will be worth it to cover the non-covered costs for the benefit of a good dentist. I will have no dental insurance until I figure out where I can get it.
I realized how subjective dentistry can be back in 1985, when we moved to a town in Scotland. First visit to a dentist and he told me I needed 6 fillings (some new, some replacing existing fillings). However, I was not having any issues so I didn't go back. 6 months later I found another dentist and he found one filling that needed replacing, and I believed him because the tooth was sensitive.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
steelyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I realized how subjective dentistry can be back in 1985, when we moved to a town in Scotland. First visit to a dentist and he told me I needed 6 fillings (some new, some replacing existing fillings). However, I was not having any issues so I didn't go back. 6 months later I found another dentist and he found one filling that needed replacing, and I believed him because the tooth was sensitive.
I'm glad you found the other dentist!
__________________
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 8,701
Are you talking about Sarasota , Fl?
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 44
Yes. Sarasota, Florida.
__________________
If not now, when?
inkitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 8,701
I live on the border of Sarasota but I travel to Venice to my dentist .( Dr.Novak ). I started with him when I lived in Venice and I trust him so I still make the trip .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkitnow View Post
Darn. I found a great dentist in Sarasota and now my husband's insurance is changing. She is not in the new insurance network. So....I'm back to square one. Does anyone have a great dentist in Sarasota? I need one who is part of Bluecare (the Blue Cross/Blue Shield network).

Thanks.
I'm joining the Blue Cross/Blue Shield Medicare Advantage plan in 2012 and some dental care is part of the benefit plan; however, I haven't received the list of dentists as of this date. I can give you a name of an individual to call on this subject. Name is Les Sturrock, agent for BCBS in Bradenton. He might be able to supply names of dentists that work in the BCBS network in Sarasota as that is part of the area he covers.

Les Sturrock, Agent
NHIA, Inc.
Bradenton, FL
941-896-3162 office
941-447-9860

That's the best I can do.
__________________
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks for your suggestions and referrals
Old 11-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 44
Thanks for your suggestions and referrals

Thanks to all who responded. You've given me some good names and ideas for beating the "insurance approval" list.
__________________

__________________
If not now, when?
inkitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dentist, sarasota


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:59 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Early Retirement News right to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with all the latest news to your inbox!

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]