Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Describe your first year of ER... Planned or Past
Old 03-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious
February, 2028...start back to work part time because DW is driving me crazy 24/7.
You never know... faced with the thought of spending all day with her spouse, DW might have her own plans to start working in Jan '28.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2007, 12:30 PM   #22

Okay, I don't know anyone who qualifies for a parade when they retire, MartyB!
That is the coolest thing ever! Do they throw beads or it is more formal?

So we have a two step ER, DH will retire in 2012 and I will retire in 2017. He will have saved his last year of salary for a trawler purchase, and will spend some time fixing it up and taking some short trips. When I retire, we will take it on longer trips, back to the Bahamas probably. We also want to go stay with friends in Belize and New Zealand for long trips. Can't wait!

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Five months to go!!!!

Decompress after 21+ years in Corproate America( an acquaintance noted that my company had the spiritual energy of styrofoam)

Drop enough weight to begin to get in shape again; 20 years ago-state class athlete; now- middle aged fat guy

reboot my meditation practice

Spend more time with family and friends

Become trained as guardian of therapy dog

Mentor at risk school kids

Work on grant writing for a Buddhist retreat Center

Break out my harmonicas

Listen to mass quantities of music

Work on my Barbequing technique

Set up plan for next 5 years.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl
Hi Meadbh. I know that you're Canadian but I can't remember what part of the country you're living in. A house a few doors down sold yesterday...the same day it was listed. I saw the agent put up the For Sale sign at 1:00 pm and by 4:00 pm the sign was already gone! The market is still very strong here.
Hi Calgary_Girl.....

I live on the Prairies, but not in your town. Year over year increase around here is approximately 16%. In Calgary (where the real estate market is INSANE), house prices rose by 27% and condos by 40% in the past year. All the indications are that this will continue for the foreseeable future, or at least as long as oil revenues stay strong. If you own your home, your NW has risen really fast. On the other hand, you have to live somewhere......I understand that nobody should even think about moving to Calgary now without finding a home first. Recently, while travelling, I met a real estate broker who said that he had a maximum of one month to find a client's next home, before the prices rose out of their price range.

I'm thinking of investing in managed rental properties across Canada and would like to include some in Alberta.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:50 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
Hi Calgary_Girl.....

I live on the Prairies, but not in your town. Year over year increase around here is approximately 16%. In Calgary (where the real estate market is INSANE), house prices rose by 27% and condos by 40% in the past year. All the indications are that this will continue for the foreseeable future, or at least as long as oil revenues stay strong. If you own your home, your NW has risen really fast. On the other hand, you have to live somewhere......I understand that nobody should even think about moving to Calgary now without finding a home first. Recently, while travelling, I met a real estate broker who said that he had a maximum of one month to find a client's next home, before the prices rose out of their price range.

I'm thinking of investing in managed rental properties across Canada and would like to include some in Alberta.

Very true. Our house's market value rose approx. 50% compared to last year, which is great (like you said) for our net worth. Although DH and I have no plans to sell in the short term, our very long term plan is to downsize to a smaller home or condo and become snowbirds (20 years or more from now). Hopefully, the real estate market will hold steady here and not go bust (like the early '80's).

Although Calgary is the land of opportunity (at least for now ), you can't just arrive here without knowing where you'll be living. There are stories of Easterners arriving on the Greyhound, finding a job on their first day and having to sleep at a homeless shelter because they didn't realize they couldn't find a place to rent or that homes are so expensive now.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:28 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

My DH (posted above under TxDakini) should have added: Stop using wife's login on this forum! for one of his first retirement year activities.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:47 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdakini
My DH (posted above under TxDakini) should have added: Stop using wife's login on this forum! for one of his first retirement year activities.
I think he should relax on the LBYM thing - he can get his own forum membership free of charge!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:30 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

DH already has his own login, but that would require, uh, actually logging in! Easier to use the one already logged in which is me.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:42 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

You asked for it. Oct. 2002 -- was laid off my last (hopefully!) job. Had been planning to retire end of year anyway. Unlike many folks, I am blessed with a "retirement income" (low-mid $20's) from money the folks left. No sense working for a living if you don't have to. Plan was to move from crummy (and expensive) suburban DC (VA) area to live with girlfriend who'd moved to central FL the year before. Did so, over a few-month period. The move was relatively easy (I didn't have much stuff). I had to sell a condo and later a SFH that was a rental. FL was pleasant enough, but too rural an area for me. GF had to work. Most of my time was spent drinking too much (day and night, now that I was retired), local tourism (one year pass to Disney, a few hours away), cycling, playing video games, or watching TV. After about a year, I had a house built a bit closer to Tampa, where there were sidewalks at least, and we moved there. About same time, I joined a "12 step" group to dry out. It took several months, but I succeeded. My relationship has proven disappointing due to my lack of commiting and discovering what I would have committed to! GF has suffered financial, employment, and health set-backs. I, at least, am healthier and better off than when I came down here over 4 years ago. While I didn't do much in the 1st year technically, I've been to Mexico 4 times in past three years, and plan on three different trips this year. This is in addition to my annual or so trips back to my home around DC to see friends and family. Needless to say, part of that is to avoid the mopey GF.

"When I drink alone, you know I prefer to be by myself." -- George Thorogood
Old 03-31-2007, 04:48 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedorrero
"When I drink alone, you know I prefer to be by myself." -- George Thorogood
I've always had a tough time explaining ol' George and his lyrics to my daughter, but they resonate with me so I'll persevere...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:49 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

2003 - DH quit last year - I planned to stay about 10 +/- years at my parttime job - then got laid off...

After much worries, we decided that we could ER in our 40s. Now, in 2007, we made a big move (selling, buying, renovating) and are STILL at around 4% SWR... what a surprise!
Old 04-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here is the plan for the next 12 months...

April 16..close on the sale of the cabin. Use equity to pay off the RV, finish the kitchen remodel and fund the first 12 month cash-flow in ER.

April 23..drive RV to CA for a 10 day trip.

May 18 retire.

May 21 drive RV to Lake Powell for a 10 day trip.

June 4-17 RV trip to OR, WA and ID.

July 1-5 fly to TN for family visit

July 7-22 drive RV to CA for family visit

August--TBD

Sept-RV trip to TN--attend Rally in Nashville...visit family before and after

Oct. Several RV trips

Nov. Cruise Caribbean

Dec Holidays

Somewhere 2007, we need to clean out, organize, and downsize many closets and rooms. Repaint a few rooms and replace a couple of windows.

Jan--RV to AZ for 3 months

April...Dec. TBD....

On a financial level...rebalace after-tax accounts and sell off the laggards.

Establish a cash stream for 2009-2010.
Create IRAs for my current 401K and DW's. Select index funds and forget them for a year.

Review total financial picture and readjust as needed....then forget about it for a while. Check quarterly to be sure expenses are close to what was predicted and adjust as necessary.

Relax, decompress, detoxify and learn to slow down and smell the flowers....for a while.

Go to step C and repeat as needed.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #33

It's been about a year since I FIRE'd at 35 years old. My plan was to spend a year or two out of work while figuring out what kind of new low-stress super-fulfilling job to do next. I was developing a photography hobby and thought that might turn into my next career.

What I've actually done with my year was spend it doing personal growth work: participating in several Men's groups, meditating, exercising, preparing healthy food rather than eating quick junk I had time for while working, and doing some volunteering. I've also found plenty of time for sitting on my arse watching movies and websurfing boingboing.net and other edgy infotainment websites. I've cancelled my TV cable subscription because I found TV was rotting my brain and I no longer needed it as an antidote to work.

I realized that the task of finding a fulfilling next career is less about choosing and more about becoming. Transforming myself from the obsessive nerdy guy who made ER happen into a more well rounded feeling and people focussed person. And it's more fun to work on myself than for someone else! So I have basically stopped my job search for now.

I am less interested in photography than when I started ER... I think I enjoyed it because it was a great antidote to work, but now that I don't need antidotes to work it doesn't hold quite as much appeal.

Another surprise is how little travel I've done. Part of that is because I took a long round the world trip on sabbatical shortly before leaving work, so it's largely out of my system for now. But I find I no longer need to use travel for novelty or to "get out of my routine"... I am discovering plenty of opportunities to do new things right here in my backyard.

For the past few months my main task has been getting my condo ready to sell so I can move from the suburbs of San Francisco to San Francisco proper, to take advantage of all the cultural and personal growth opportunities there. I really enjoy doing the repair/handyman things myself, and the way it allows an outlet for my obsessive tendencies to be channelled into something constructive.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:19 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This summer DW will be going to Sweden for a class reunion for her elementary school. I'd go along, but I don't like long long plane rides followed by extended periods of relative visiting.

So I've just come up with a plan to take that opportunity for a California Coast Surfing Safari. My plan is to surf my way down the coast to San Diego, beach-bum-wise, camping along the way.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:12 PM   #35

Great idea Al. I remember a few years back that was actually one of the first visions I had of FIREhood: I was talking with my girlfriend about buying an old beater van, and living out of it for several months while learning to surf up and down the CA coast. Never happenned though.