Join Early Retirement Today

Did any ER get apprehensive just before leaving ?
Old 07-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Did any ER get apprehensive just before leaving ?

I am feeling a little nervous about leaving the security of my pay check .....I am going to do it just wondering how it all will work out.
I will have to move to a lower cost of living area and moving is always stressful. (sigh)

I know it will all work out ..... it will take time to adjust but it will work out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Did any ER get apprehensive just before leaving ?
Old 07-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Heck yes. In the weeks before I cashed in my chips, I had a recurring nightmare about no longer having a paycheck.

Now I wake up each morning and realize I NEVER have to go back to work. I traded the nightmare for a dream come true.

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was a little nervous the last day or two, and a little nervous the first few days.
But I ran my numbers back and forth for more than 6 months. And I have multiple back up plans I can start if something drastic happens.

Now that my health insurance is in place, I'm not worried. I'm enjoying my free time more than I thought I would
Old 07-23-2005, 08:11 PM   #4

Yes.

* *(yes, yes.* yes.)
Old 07-23-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

The question might be better posed, did anyone NOT get apprehensive just before leaving?* I still get pangs of apprehension every once in a while almost 2 years later.* Then again I still crave a cigarette every once in a while and I gave them up 25 years ago.*
Old 07-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I gave up smoking seventeen years ago and for years afterward if someone on an old movie lit up I wanted to do the same.

That is so sad,,,, then one day it didn't bother me anymore the desire just wasn't there what a blessing.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:59 PM   #7

Yes I did, but I make decisions badly. Worried it to death; spoke to everyone, asked for inputs, etc. In the end, it's your call, as you will get advice from everybody. Immediately afterwards, I was nervous. Now, I am not, and t'was a great decision. Or, as I used to say at Mega-Corp, First you make the decision, then you make it right. I could not imagine returning to the same place.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #8

My retirement model diffuses some of the apprehension stress related to a cold-turkey stoppage.

I went to semi-ER with a backup plan to go back to more work hours if necessary.* It hasnít been necessary so far and I donít anticipate increasing my workload in the future.

Itís almost like stealing 2nd base while keeping your foot on first.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:07 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Yes I did, but I make decisions badly. Worried it to death; spoke to everyone, asked for inputs, etc. In the end, it's your call, as you will get advice from everybody. Immediately afterwards, I was nervous. Now, I am not, and t'was a great decision. Or, as I used to say at Mega-Corp, First you make the decision, then you make it right. I could not imagine returning to the same place.
Sheesh ,,,,, That's me ...... I drive myself and my friends nuts with the questions and yakkity yak it's a wonder they put with me as far as relatives go they don't care one way or the other,

The phrase about make the decision and then make it right wow sure you didn't work for the Gov?

Old 07-24-2005, 06:50 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Kitty:
I am going through this right now! My friends and husband are sick of listening to me fret. I took step one of telling boss I wanted to get off the treadmill and retire early a couple of weeks ago. He asked me to take some time and think about it (like I haven't for over a year....). But I said I would. Now each day for the last week, I have redated my resignation letter. Gotta do it Monday!
Old 07-24-2005, 08:15 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

My apprehension came 6 months later when I had to finally start drawing off my investments. Previously, I had a large checking account built up right before I retired. I finally depleted the last of it after our trip to Greece. It was difficult for me to make the transition from spending my employers money to spending my own money.

I finally just made the switch over and had my investment dividends and interest deposit automatically into my checking account. So it was a little scary for me as well.

LL
Old 07-24-2005, 08:51 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess I am not a great decision maker either or maybe I just see to many possibilities - like making to fine a point on a pencile it might look good but it won't work right.

I should relax and go with the flow ...... ya sure like that is going to happen
Old 07-24-2005, 11:01 AM   #13

For me, this question doesn't have a clear yes or no answer. Since 2003, my date was a constant moving target. My retirement did not relay on the benefit of a pension or subsidized health insurance which made me a bit more cautious.
Last year, my anticipated date to leave the company was Jan 2005 (my birthday gift) but slowly raised it to April 2005.
At the beginning of this year, after reviewing my finances for the umpteenth time, I started worrying about the April date as well. I finally decided on July. I was also going to ask my company if they would consider letting me work part time. I thought it would be nice to do this for several months so I could wean me off the job and continue with my health benefits.
Then a miracle happened, in April, I suddenly got laid off. To my pleasant surprise, I was given a nice separation package that would continue to provide my salary and health insurance for several months beyond my planned retirement date as well as the added bonus of unemployment insurance. I thank the ER gods.
So I guess, I'll be better able to anwer this question when my very very long paid vacation gets close to the end and I will truly be on my own.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:30 AM   #14

My answer to the question asked is: "No, I did not." But, here is the
rest of the story (the regulars know most of this already).

In 1993 when I semiretired, I had a bunch of backup options,
including doing some sort of work indefinitely. In 1998 when I drew
my last real paycheck and was coming off a divorce.......... that's when I got nervous. The net worth that I was used to working with
(marital money) was cut in half and the paycheck was gone at the same
time. I have never seriously considered going back to work, but for the
first year I watched the pennies very closely. As time passed I got more
and more comfortable, which is typical.

JG
Old 07-24-2005, 11:39 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
I guess I am not a great decision maker either or maybe I just see to many possibilities - like making to fine a point on a pencile it might look good but it won't work right.
I switched to mechanical pencils...

I retired in June 2002 as most of the military was considering a stop-loss to hold on to personnel with critical skills "for the duration". *After planning the big day for about, oh, three years or so, my nightmare was waking up to read official naval message traffic announcing that my retirement would be delayed until the personnel situation could be worked out. *I was pleasantly relieved to learn that no one considered me critically skilled at anything.

Moving is stressful under any conditions, let alone combined with retirement. *If you can, try to avoid adding on other activities like an extended vacation right afterward or a bunch of time-consuming wrap-it-up activities just before. *Enough things will surprise you during the move (especially afterward) that you won't have spare time. *After 19 military moves, our "dream move" would be having the time to unpack one box per day with no deadlines on the calendar. *Maybe we'd get ambitious and ramp it up to one room per week. *(We didn't unpack the final box for three years, and it probably should have gone-- unopened-- straight to Goodwill.) *About a week into the unpacking you're going to realize that you're chronically sleep-deprived and you're going to need that daily nap to refresh your energy levels.

I don't know what time of year you're retiring or where you're going but it may be better to retire in place for a few months and then do the move when the weather is more pleasant or the housing market is more in your favor. *The best moves are the ones with no need to rush into anything, including farewells & greetings.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

I retired in June 2002 as most of the military was considering a stop-loss to hold on to personnel with critical skills "for the duration". *After planning the big day for about, oh, three years or so, my nightmare was waking up to read official naval message traffic announcing that my retirement would be delayed until the personnel situation could be worked out. *I was pleasantly relieved to learn that no one considered me critically skilled at anything.

Moving is stressful under any conditions, let alone combined with retirement. *If you can, try to avoid adding on other activities like an extended vacation right afterward or a bunch of time-consuming wrap-it-up activities just before. *Enough things will surprise you during the move (especially afterward) that you won't have spare time. *After 19 military moves, our "dream move" would be having the time to unpack one box per day with no deadlines on the calendar. *Maybe we'd get ambitious and ramp it up to one room per week. *(We didn't unpack the final box for three years, and it probably should have gone-- unopened-- straight to Goodwill.) *About a week into the unpacking you're going to realize that you're chronically sleep-deprived and you're going to need that daily nap to refresh your energy levels.

I don't know what time of year you're retiring or where you're going but it may be better to retire in place for a few months and then do the move when the weather is more pleasant or the housing market is more in your favor. *The best moves are the ones with no need to rush into anything, including farewells & greetings.

Good post! Within a 5 year period (1993 - 1998) I semiretired, moved 6 times, divorced,
dismantled my manufacturing company, plus accepted and later left 2 different jobs in 2 different states, and then quit for good.
No ulcers that I know of but that had to take a toll.

JG
Old 07-24-2005, 12:41 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I was forced out due to job injuries so I can't answer that question for me but I can for DH. I was apprehensive about his retiring due to health insurance premiums but he was not. Probably has to do with the fact that I'm the finance person in the marriage and he isn't.

The good news is that I constantly show him what's going on financially and he just goes with the flow. We had some unpredictable expenses come up since his retirement a few months ago. (Expenses such as oldest son getting married 5 months sooner than expected since he is heading to Iraq with his military unit. And youngest son getting a job in Chicago and needing money for rent and vehicle repairs. (graduated college in May and has no substantial savings yet) But, yesterday, after going over our accounts I realized that what we spent on the unpredictables we more than made up for in our investments. I know we won't always be so fortunate but I'm counting my blessings right now.

We have talked over the idea of DH getting a part-time job to help with the ins. costs but he'd much rather spend less than ever work again. And that's just fine with me. Of course that could change if we ever find that "dream house with acreage" that we're constantly on the lookout for.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:53 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

I retired in June 2002 as most of the military was considering a stop-loss to hold on to personnel with critical skills "for the duration". After planning the big day for about, oh, three years or so, my nightmare was waking up to read official naval message traffic announcing that my retirement would be delayed until the personnel situation could be worked out. I was pleasantly relieved to learn that no one considered me critically skilled at anything.

Moving is stressful under any conditions, let alone combined with retirement. If you can, try to avoid adding on other activities like an extended vacation right afterward or a bunch of time-consuming wrap-it-up activities just before. Enough things will surprise you during the move (especially afterward) that you won't have spare time. After 19 military moves, our "dream move" would be having the time to unpack one box per day with no deadlines on the calendar. Maybe we'd get ambitious and ramp it up to one room per week. (We didn't unpack the final box for three years, and it probably should have gone-- unopened-- straight to Goodwill.) About a week into the unpacking you're going to realize that you're chronically sleep-deprived and you're going to need that daily nap to refresh your energy levels.

I don't know what time of year you're retiring or where you're going but it may be better to retire in place for a few months and then do the move when the weather is more pleasant or the housing market is more in your favor. The best moves are the ones with no need to rush into anything, including farewells & greetings.

The situation is similar only this time the Gov is not moving me so the expense is all mine. I am down sizing and getting rid of stuff as best I can between now and move date which has not been set yet. I need to sell a house and boat, buy a house and move after retirement. I do believe I am going to be very busy.

The choice of were to live has been interesting as I have decided to move to a rural community the difficulty for me is which state. I love Maine any time of the year. I love the midwest also anytime of the year. I am going on a pre buying trip to both. There is a small farm in Maine for sale reasonable 1900's farm house, 12 acres, rural area peaceful. That I am going to see. There are several small farms of equal value in Missouri I am going to see. I guess I will go with my instincts. This farm thing is chasing after my childhood when I lived on a small chicken farm on Cape Cod back ..... never mind when

I figure either I persue my dreams (follies) now or just give them up. I don't give up easily
Old 07-26-2005, 08:28 AM   #19

I had a difficult time bouncing the decision off others.* Well, actually, others who actually cared.* Most of my friends are in the same mindset that I was for the last 25 years, i.e. "jump ship at the first possible opportunity."* However,* when you come face to face with retirement, your perspective certainly changes.* I just ended up shutting up because I figured I was probably annoying those whose advice I was asking.* There is nothing worse than listening to someone yammer about their dilemma when you would kill to be in their position.

I don't really know anyone in my situation save for one co-worker and several on this board.* *I'm wondering how much impact my decision to retire early will have on my relationship with current friends.* Just another thing to think about....

Quote:
Sheesh ,,,,, That's me ...... I drive myself and my friends nuts with the questions and yakkity yak it's a wonder they put with me as far as relatives go they don't care one way or the other...
Old 07-26-2005, 10:09 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I am feeling a little nervous about leaving the security of my pay check .....I am going to do it just wondering how it all will work out.
I will have to move to a lower cost of living area and moving is always stressful. (sigh)

I know it will all work out ..... it will take time to adjust but it will work out.
Kitty,

Yes, significant changes are stressful, but sometimes stress is "good." Retiring early will allow you to so some of the things that have been pushed into the "When I have time" category.

Maybe a change of location will allow you to make new friends and learn new things..

And if you find you don't realy like ER, what is the worst that can happen?

You simply go back to work

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote