Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What I am constantly telling people is that ER is not like vacation and it is not like weekends. I transitioned to ER by taking the same energy I used to organize my day at w*rk and used it to organize my days after w*rk. I've slowed down my rate of activity so that I'm not stressed in any way.

A couple of people have mentioned that there are things did for stress relief that they no longer do. I used to go up to a wine country spa for a "spa day" once per month in the summer to de-stress. I stopped that when I ER'd because I was no longer stressed. I also danced to de-stress. I still dance but it now I do it to socialize rather than de-stress.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
What you do during retirement and how busy you want to be is very much up to you. When I was working, I resented the job because it was keeping me from doing activities away from office and rushing my routine personal life so much so that taking a shower or house activities feel like chores. Everything is so different during retirement. I get to go out as much as I like or stay at home and just enjoy my home. I am traveling a lot, exercising a great deal, meeting up friend and trying out new restaurants a lot, I also watch a lot of movies and TV which is what I always wanted to do when I was working. I do household activities and don't look at them as chores. I take long baths, enjoy spa time, take time to breathe mor, golf during week days and weekends.......Yes, being retired is wonderful. I do more variety of things now and enjoy them.
This resonates with me! Since I'm still working, I feel like I have to maximize my enjoyment of personal time. It makes it hard to just sit quietly and relax and do nothing. I sometimes second guess myself and ask "isn't there a higher and better use to my time than sitting around for hours drinking beer with friends or enjoying a few quiet minutes on the deck to chat with the DW?". When I know the answer is "no". I have to remind myself to seek balance.

That can be hard because at bed time on a work day, I feel a little better having accomplished something concrete (read 2 chapters of a book, watched 1 tv show, completed x recreational activity, etc) rather than think "I did nothing all evening and it was awesome!". It is like I am trying to metrics and attain goals for my productive recreation!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

When I worked, I really tried to carve out a few hours on Sunday that wasn't devoted to chores or other responsibilities and I almost never managed to succeed. That's why Sunday nights were always so depressing.

When I first retired, I made Sundays leisure days--no chores, no exercise--just like I had dreamed of for years. After a few months of that, I realized that I actually prefer to do some exercise and some chores everyday. Every day was pretty special.

I have always travelled a lot--I loved that feeling of looking out at the ocean while on vacation, but oddly I get that same feeling reading in my backyard on a sunny day. I'm surprised I'm not that interested in travelling now but I think that in the past vacations were an escape from work.

I also have the feeling that time is just more precious now which seems counterintuitive and I don't really understand that feeling. I mean, now I have all the time in the world. But I think I now want almost every minute to be fulfilling. When I worked, there was so much wasted time---in meetings, while commuting. Now, there's no need to "kill" time.
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Like W2R, I have discovered physical fitness and the gym. I never thought I'd be a gym person. I always just walked or used a stationary bike at home. But every morning at the gym has added so much to my life. It gives me needed structure and socialization, as well as a great workout (classes every day for 1 to 2 hours: yoga, pilates, kick boxing, step, weights, Zumba, water aerobics, cardio). Finished off by the hot tub and sauna, it's one of the highlights of my day. And at $114 a month for the two of us, we want to make sure we get our money's worth!

When I worked, I did exercised, but it was more to just keep well enough so I could keep on working. Now I exercise because it's fun and because I want to be healthy for the sake of being healthy, not just so I could function enough to earn a paycheck.

I always cooked, but cooking has become even more of a joy. Never eaten better!

And while I didn't have the energy to socialize while working, now I do. I've joined a lot (too many) Meetup groups, with mixed results, but I'm glad I tried and now I can fully accept my introversion.