Did retirement change your relationship with your spouse or SO?

Did retirement change your relationship with your spouse or SO?

• No

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Yes, it got better.

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Yes, it got worse, but we stayed together.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Yes, it got worse, and we split up.

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

JustCurious

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Please answer only if you are already retired and you were in a relationship at the time you retired. If so, care to elaborate on your experience?

When I ER'd, at least one of us immediately became less stressed and was able to take over the domestic front full-time...

I answered this although I am still working my wife retired last year and things between us are better becasue of her lower stress level.

Initially when we were both at home since we retired in 2 months of each other, there was a period of adjustment. Division of duties. What to do together and separate. Some duties shifted from one to the other.

Four years in, everything is fine: Better.

Not too much difference here, since DW and I worked together, often from home for many years prior to ER.

However, she still like to say, "Twice the husband, half the money." :LOL: :LOL: :mad:

relationship with spouse is as good as it gets. I'm a lucky guy!

Nords said:
When I ER'd, at least one of us immediately became less stressed and was able to take over the domestic front full-time...

Same here! You really cannot underestimate the impact of job related stress on a relationship!

The wife just told me it was "easier to cook when I was working".

The reason being is that I'm a very picky eater. When I worked.... I came home and dinner was on the table (wife retired before me). Now that I'm home when dinner is prepared, I see all the ingredients on the counter as they are about to go into the meal. Some foods really gross me out .... even if I can barely taste them. I think it's a mental thing.

Much less stress - much more energy - second honeymoon for four years now - yeah!

Back
Top Bottom