Did some !&%^!!#$% person help you to retire early?

While I w*rked for Megacorp, I used to think academia was probably a better place to be. I envied the "ivy covered walls" rather than my drab laboratory without windows I was forced to endure. So, because I had a very specific talent and experience level, I "hired out" to the local university first as a graduate assistant and then as a visiting instructor. I did it for little money, lots of work and relatively little appreciation. Still, I ended up getting a MS out of the deal. In essence, I helped to build a department that had not previously existed. I provided real-world (war stories) to students and have, over the years, received thanks and compliments from former students. Just about lost my DW over the long hours (still worked FT at Megacorp), but that's another story.

Long story short: I discovered that academia is far more political, back-biting, dog-eat-dog, spit in your food, sabotage your office mate, etc. etc. than Megacorp ever was. I was so shocked that I eventually bowed out, even though the s#%t rarely ran down to my level (unless you consider the lousy pay for service). Sad to think I had to get in the middle of an academic "food fight" to discover that even ivy isn't always greener than Transite.

Sayre's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not a single person but real culture changes each time we were bought by someone new. At the end, we were owned by one of the companies that we originally had started to compete against and it just never felt right. The new culture wasn't bad, just very different than the one that I could operate within.

In fact, there were many people there that really impressed me and did soften my original thoughts about that take over. Eventually, they offered a package and I jumped at the chance along with many others like me. I missed it for about 20 seconds but was over it by the time I reached my car in the parking lot.

As background, I started at MCI in the the early 80's and left in 2008 not long after we were bought by Verizon. I had a two digit employee number that at the end, had to have 6 zeros in front of it to be entered in the admin systems. Before their break up, ATT was the "evil empire" and the baby bells were just their continuation in another form, lol.

Yes, I had an idiot "boss" who basically forced me out. I built a small software company that I sold to MegaCorp, and this guy resented some "young" guy coming in from nowhere and the thought of me running my own group, when he'd been there 20 years and ran nothing. He'd tell me to keep running it like I always did, and I'd assign out tasks and he'd immediately have a staff meeting (without me) to reassign the tasks. I'd ask him why, and he'd just shrug "it's better this way." What a jerk. I was willing to stay a lot longer even though I was able to RE, but that cemented it.

I can't say I'm entirely glad I left, because with Megacorp's resources, the group/my old company was able to work on some really cool projects for much larger customers. For me that's almost worth more than retirement. But the stress wasn't worth it.

A high-up (*#@$_* decided to implement "extreme programming" company wide. I retired as our department was being forced to switch over.
Oh yea, I forgot about that short-lived fad. That was the thing where you'd put two programmers on one computer, one typing while the other went into a zen-like creative mode, solving difficult computational problems and innovating like crazy because he doesn't have to worry about the typing part. Triple the productivity!

Except of course, it actually meant you got some guy in your cube arguing with you it should be a do-while instead of a for loop, until he finally goes on smoke break and you manage to get a tiny bit accomplished while he's gone. Nothing like one programmer for the price of two! :LOL:

My last couple of years they promoted a narcissist/sociopath in charge of the department.He had a target out for myself and a few others.The last few years were hell but I did some mega saving and investing.Out of the blue the company offered a sev. package,I jumped on it.I have since heard that many good people left,and that they eventually got rid of this miserable subhuman.But the department was already ruined.Yes,I believe in Karma.
Life is short.

Oh yea, I forgot about that short-lived fad. That was the thing where you'd put two programmers on one computer, one typing while the other went into a zen-like creative mode, solving difficult computational problems and innovating like crazy because he doesn't have to worry about the typing part. Triple the productivity!

Except of course, it actually meant you got some guy in your cube arguing with you it should be a do-while instead of a for loop, until he finally goes on smoke break and you manage to get a tiny bit accomplished while he's gone. Nothing like one programmer for the price of two! :LOL:

Excellent description

My last (2 levels up) boss caused me to retire 3 years early so I have some fondness for the impact he had on that decision. His management abilities brought the definitions of "Downing Effect" and "Dunning-Kruger Effect" into sharp focus.

He had no direct experience with our product line, but within the first month, he decided that we were going to reduce staff by cross-training. And also reduce travel costs and per diem by sending smaller teams to installations at remote/foreign sites.

The group (150ish) was set up in the 80s and many folks were still happy to be there 20+ years later, but within months we were seeing lots of long time employees (good ones) turning in notices, and others turning in retirement paperwork.

So happy to not have to be part of that, but also feel sorry for former colleagues who must stay or who felt compelled to go elsewhere.

I worked for the guy who sunk the ship (a 50 contract killed in 3 years). So to make matters worse, rather than work to save the contract - he kept the "news" (contract cancellation) to himself while he ploted his exit. Then told a select few (me) the day he left that we had only months left.

Needless to say, this was very motivating.

Long story short: I discovered that academia is far more political, back-biting, dog-eat-dog, spit in your food, sabotage your office mate, etc. etc. than Megacorp ever was. I was so shocked that I eventually bowed out, even though the s#%t rarely ran down to my level (unless you consider the lousy pay for service). Sad to think I had to get in the middle of an academic "food fight" to discover that even ivy isn't always greener than Transite.

I learned this doing some research right after getting my masters -and I had thought the military was bad.....wow - academia was worse, much worse. Made my decision right then to avoid it from then on - it's been 20 years and I've succeeded.

Our Megacorp had a massive re-org at the beginning of the 2008 downturn that set us up as independent business units. The VP over our unit and his direct reports decided that our division wasn't making enough money so hired some consultants to decide how to cut costs. This resulted in several layoffs and a decision to move the office I worked in. After working 12 hour days for 6 months and putting up with entirely too much drama, I started looking at my finances and was surprised to find out I could FIRE. I waited another 6 months to let some some stock options vest and then handed in my notice.

Best day of that year was when I told my boss he could put together his own D*&^($ budget and that my replacement would have to put together and execute the transition plan for the office move.

I loved my job with this company for 27 years but the last year was Heck. Its been a little over a year since retirement and I have no regrets. I've talked to some of my former co-workers and it looks like things have gotten a little better but not enough to tempt me to go back.

These days I sometimes ruminate to my spouse "I could SO do that job" and she says "Sure, but would you want to do it for _____"? At which point I get over my brief infatuation with paid employment.

I used to have the same thoughts when I would see an ad for a job that I knew I could do well. But I've gotten over it. As a matter of fact, I never even look at employment ads any more.

Update:
Talked last evening to a former colleague and the news he passed on to me left me sad but also mad. A couple of years ago, the former boss I mentioned in #56 above convinced the company to relocate his group (150 headcount) from LA to Denver. He sold it on the logic that it put them on the customer's (Air Force) doorstep. But left out the fact that he was from Denver and owned a home there.

So two years later, the 100 or so folks that uprooted from LA and resettled in Denver got the following notice less than a month after winning a very lucrative contract with the Air Force.

"MegaCorp has made a strategic partnering with Bxxxx Corp (minority owned) to ..blah, blah, blah...etc. We will maintain a small management team and Bxxxx Corp will retain as many of you as possible. Employees have the choice of applying at Bxxx Corp, or retiring, or accept layoff by end of March."

So the offshoot:
1. Inept boss is now "at home" and receiving his LA wage level and now is just an overseer.
2. MegaCorp gets big tax break for partnering with minority owned business.
3. LA transplants will likely get layed off in Denver and be responsible for moving expenses back to LA where they grew up.

Wow, so happy to be gone. I'd likely be one the manager tasked with calling folks in to hand them the lay off notices.

Gosh, now I see why folks snap.

Back
Top Bottom