Did you gain weight when you FIRE'd?

I retired 31 Dec 2004 at 215#.
I am now ~130#
In my case, mainly an end to stress eating.

Yep -- use your newfound free time to hit the gym (or the street or tennis court or pool or whatever) and get in shape. You'll find after vigorous workouts that you are LESS hungry because your body is pumped with endorphins. Also, learn to eat slowly and enjoy it. Eat what you like but don't overindulge. You'll lose slowly but surely -- I am!!

I lost 20 pounds when I became 20% retired. I gained it back when I went back to work full time. I lost it again when I went back to 20% retired. I hope I don't lose 80 lbs when I retire the remaining 80%

We got into cooking for a while after retiring, which we had never done much of before. Then of course we ate what we cooked, and both of us put on about 20+ pounds in six months. It was getting to the point that we'd have to buy all new clothes so we put a stop to that.

So I'm back to between 145 and 150 lbs. and she gets upset if she's over 125. This was done more with portion control than a change in diet or an increase in exercise.

Since retiring I lost 20-30 pounds. I ate out a lot while working. Also I made an effort to lose the weight and exercise.

When I retired in 2001, I was 210.
I was 202 3 months ago am now 187.
My goal before winter sets in, is to get it down to 180.

Going to the Y working the upper body yoga and sauna then biking like a maniac most days.

My weight doesn't seem to vary much. I think this is mostly because of my eating and activity habits. I think if I hogged down on pie or something I would gain fast. Except for once when I was very sick I have been pretty much between 150 and 160 for 50 years. I have enough difficulties; fortunately eating control is not one of them.
Ha

I lost a little weight after I retired due to the drop in stress.

But, I began to gain back a few pounds due to inactivity so I began walking and biking once or twice daily for exercise. I have continued daily exercise since retiring in 2001 and weigh the same now as I did in 2002.

I've only been retired a few months but lost almost 10 pounds. I attribute that entirely to eating lighter lunches. At w*rk, lunch was either the company cafeteria, or going out to eat a couple of times per week - even if I tried to eat something healthy (once in a while), the portions would always be bigger than what I'd fix for myself at home.

I find it easier to maintain my weight now. When I was working and chained to a desk, I swear I'd eat snacks all day to break the boredom and monotony.

My response to stress was to eat less - just coffee and cigarettes - so when I stopped working I actually cut back on the coffee, stopped smoking and ate 3 full meals a day. I gained 30 lbs in about 2 years.

I then got angry with myself, lost it all and then some. For me it was easier than for most, because I have the good fortune to have a DW that prepares healthful foods with excellence. Taste good, good for 'ya...

Now I fit in the same suits I owned 15 years ago (and still have), exercise regularly and don't complain.

I've recently lost a significant amount of weight and am concerned that once I'm FIRE'd and am at home with cupboards full of food that I'll gain the weight back. So, I'm curious...for those of you who are FIRE'd, did maintaining your weight become an issue?

I've lost about 40 pounds since I retired. My waist has dropped from a size 46 to 42. I theorize that there are three factors behind my weight loss:

1) I no longer have breakfast and lunch at the company cafeteria. Now I rarely eat out: I fix my own meals. The last time I popped into a fast food restaurant, the menu indicated the calorie content of the various items. I was amazed at how many calories are in fast food. I ended up leaving without ordering anything.

2) I get a lot more exercise.

3) The stress I'm under has dropped dramatically. I'm almost certain that I tend to eat more stuff when I'm under stress.

As far as I can tell, I'm still losing weight, but not quite as fast. Right now I've reached the weight that I was at in the mid 1970's. My goal is to hit the weight I was at when I left the Army (I found Army food inedible).

I've recently lost a significant amount of weight and am concerned that once I'm FIRE'd and am at home with cupboards full of food that I'll gain the weight back. So, I'm curious...for those of you who are FIRE'd, did maintaining your weight become an issue?
OK it's my turn to brag a little. Have been FIRE'd for around 4 years now. No weight problems as I run >20 miles per week in the hills. And I like to garden and then there is fire wood chopping ... oh well, you get the picture ;). I just love to sweat and my DW makes me take one shower per day.

You also might try moving. I'm pretty low weight but that took even the little bit of fat off me when we moved after 25 years at the same location. Lots of moving activity.

Seriously, if you want to get rid of that extra weight all you have to do is get moving doing something instead of talking about it.

OK it's my turn to brag a little. Have been FIRE'd for around 4 years now. No weight problems as I run >20 miles per week in the hills. And I like to garden and then there is fire wood chopping ... oh well, you get the picture ;). I just love to sweat and my DW makes me take one shower per day.

You also might try moving. I'm pretty low weight but that took even the little bit of fat off me when we moved after 25 years at the same location. Lots of moving activity.

Seriously, if you want to get rid of that extra weight all you have to do is get moving doing something instead of talking about it.
Congratulations!

Moving isn't the issue right now. I bike about 100 miles a week and run 7 to 20 miles a week. I too like to workout - it makes me feel good. But I don't keep a bunch of food at the office so it's easy to control eating during the day...but once I FIRE I wonder if it will be hard to maintain good eating habits. Guess I'm afraid I'll eat if I get bored. Looks like it hasn't been an issue for most folks so I hope it won't be for me either.

Congratulations!

Moving isn't the issue right now. I bike about 100 miles a week and run 7 to 20 miles a week. I too like to workout - it makes me feel good. But I don't keep a bunch of food at the office so it's easy to control eating during the day...but once I FIRE I wonder if it will be hard to maintain good eating habits. Guess I'm afraid I'll eat if I get bored. Looks like it hasn't been an issue for most folks so I hope it won't be for me either.
Sounds like you have very good workout habits now. There is no reason to think that you will change your healthy habits once FIRE'd. Personally I used to have my goal set to >15 miles per week running. Now I have the time to get it up to >20. Also you'll have more time to stock up your kitchen with perhaps better quality snacks and the time to prepare healthier food.

I dropped about 15 lbs the first year of retirement ... no serious excercise. Just more snow skiing and golf.

Something about sitting behind a desk 10 hours/day eating what ever co-workers brought in to share ... made me fatter.

A fat kitchen makes a lean will (Ben Franklin).

My system: nothing except fruit between breakfast and lunch, and between lunch and 4 PM snack. IOW, no uncontrolled, absent minded snacking. I can eat energy bars on long bike rides.

This has worked well for me.

A fat kitchen makes a lean will (Ben Franklin).

My system: nothing except fruit between breakfast and lunch, and between lunch and 4 PM snack. IOW, no uncontrolled, absent minded snacking. I can eat energy bars on long bike rides.

This has worked well for me.
Then there is the 4pm wine and cheese hour :cool: !!! I like a Cab with a little Gruyere. After those workouts we deserve it.

My mother retired 4 years, she is very active now and not gain the weight!

Back
Top Bottom