Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I never weighed myself when I FIREd, so I'm not sure. My guess is I lost a fair amount because I no longer eat those lunches every day.
Since I started reporting on the Wed Weigh-in thread, I lost about 6 lbs and promptly put it right back on during my vacation. Oh well.
I still haven't gotten over the exercise bicycle hump. I loved sports but I detest repetitive machine exercise. I get my strength building exercise in the yard and garden in short spells. If I try to do too much, I trigger my RSI symptoms again.
I move around a lot all day. I do notice I am more toned all over than when I sat suffered behind the desk. People always comment that I look like I've lost weight.
My RSI aches and pains are almost gone. That alone is a huge improvement.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

My job was very physical . I would be on the constant move for ten hours so when I retired my weight started to creep but I joined a gym and have lost eleven pounds from my retirement weight . I'm going to try for ten more .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
l haven't gotten over the exercise bicycle hump. I loved sports but I detest repetitive machine exercise. I get my strength building exercise in the yard and garden in short spells.

I also detest machine exercise so I take exercise classes . It keeps me motivated plus it is a great social outlet.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I also detest machine exercise so I take exercise classes . It keeps me motivated plus it is a great social outlet.
I have been thinking about this. At the risk of sounding like a whiner ,
I have to be very careful with standard exercises to avoid more problems with my upper body and arms. I had a lot of nerve (hands) and tendon (fingers, hands, elbows) problems as well as deep muscle knots (back and neck). What a mess!
I tried some Pilates using a video at home - ouch. I looked at a Yoga book and the thought of trying those positions made me "ache" all over. My PT recommended stretching only and light yard w*rk until I was "all better".
On the bright side, I am almost symptom free, which means I am finally healing after 2+ years out. Yay!!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm not retired yet, trying to lose weight before retiring so that getting health insurance does not become a problem. I go to the gym usually about 4-5 times a week, but when I have had a late night, when I've had too much stress, etc, it gets skipped. I'm thinking that during the first couple of years of FIRE while I am doing the work of landscaping my yet untouched 2 acres, I will probably lose some. And if I have had a late night, I will get up when I get up, and still have plenty of time to get on the treadmill or walk into town and back with DW (4 mile round-trip), or go into the next town on my bicycle (18 mile round-trip), or take a kayak to the lake and paddle for a while, etc. Currently, if I've had a late night and end up getting up too late, my chance for any exercise at all that day is shot.

In essence, I am looking forward to being able to be much more active than I am now. Our California (home) weather is nice enough that I can get lots of outdoor exercise whether by working in the yard or sporty activities, and when the weather is not so nice I can still use the exercise equipment (treadmill, rowing machine and probably an eliptical by that time). For eating, I love to cook, and will be doing lots more cooking at home, using healthier ingredients than I can get here (overseas assignment). I have 50 or so pounds that need to come off, and if I wanted to get to a BMI of 23, then I would have maybe 15-17 more to go beyond that. My goal is to lose at least 30 in the next two or three years before FIRE, and work on the rest over time...maybe three years for the next 20, and two or years for the next 15 to get to that 23 BMI. If I try to do it all at once, I'll have to do some kind of severe diet, that I know won't last (yo-yo back up) and having to buy clothes on the downside, and then have back on the up side. If I do it slowly, over a long time, then my annual clothing budget should cover it and I won't have as much risk of ballooning back up.

R
Old 08-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I retired 31 Dec 2004 at 215#.
I am now ~130#
In my case, mainly an end to stress eating.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yep -- use your newfound free time to hit the gym (or the street or tennis court or pool or whatever) and get in shape. You'll find after vigorous workouts that you are LESS hungry because your body is pumped with endorphins. Also, learn to eat slowly and enjoy it. Eat what you like but don't overindulge. You'll lose slowly but surely -- I am!!
BlondieMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:01 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I lost 20 pounds when I became 20% retired. I gained it back when I went back to work full time. I lost it again when I went back to 20% retired. I hope I don't lose 80 lbs when I retire the remaining 80%
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #29

We got into cooking for a while after retiring, which we had never done much of before. Then of course we ate what we cooked, and both of us put on about 20+ pounds in six months. It was getting to the point that we'd have to buy all new clothes so we put a stop to that.

So I'm back to between 145 and 150 lbs. and she gets upset if she's over 125. This was done more with portion control than a change in diet or an increase in exercise.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since retiring I lost 20-30 pounds. I ate out a lot while working. Also I made an effort to lose the weight and exercise.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I retired in 2001, I was 210.
I was 202 3 months ago am now 187.
My goal before winter sets in, is to get it down to 180.

Going to the Y working the upper body yoga and sauna then biking like a maniac most days.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:31 AM   #32
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I retired 31 Dec 2004 at 215#.
I am now ~130#
In my case, mainly an end to stress eating.

Congratulations on the weight loss !
Old 08-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

My weight doesn't seem to vary much. I think this is mostly because of my eating and activity habits. I think if I hogged down on pie or something I would gain fast. Except for once when I was very sick I have been pretty much between 150 and 160 for 50 years. I have enough difficulties; fortunately eating control is not one of them.
Ha
Old 08-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I lost a little weight after I retired due to the drop in stress.

But, I began to gain back a few pounds due to inactivity so I began walking and biking once or twice daily for exercise. I have continued daily exercise since retiring in 2001 and weigh the same now as I did in 2002.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:52 AM   #35

I've only been retired a few months but lost almost 10 pounds. I attribute that entirely to eating lighter lunches. At w*rk, lunch was either the company cafeteria, or going out to eat a couple of times per week - even if I tried to eat something healthy (once in a while), the portions would always be bigger than what I'd fix for myself at home.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #36

I find it easier to maintain my weight now. When I was working and chained to a desk, I swear I'd eat snacks all day to break the boredom and monotony.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #37
Administrator

My response to stress was to eat less - just coffee and cigarettes - so when I stopped working I actually cut back on the coffee, stopped smoking and ate 3 full meals a day. I gained 30 lbs in about 2 years.

I then got angry with myself, lost it all and then some. For me it was easier than for most, because I have the good fortune to have a DW that prepares healthful foods with excellence. Taste good, good for 'ya...

Now I fit in the same suits I owned 15 years ago (and still have), exercise regularly and don't complain.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Abounds View Post
I've recently lost a significant amount of weight and am concerned that once I'm FIRE'd and am at home with cupboards full of food that I'll gain the weight back. So, I'm curious...for those of you who are FIRE'd, did maintaining your weight become an issue?
I've lost about 40 pounds since I retired. My waist has dropped from a size 46 to 42. I theorize that there are three factors behind my weight loss:

1) I no longer have breakfast and lunch at the company cafeteria. Now I rarely eat out: I fix my own meals. The last time I popped into a fast food restaurant, the menu indicated the calorie content of the various items. I was amazed at how many calories are in fast food. I ended up leaving without ordering anything.

2) I get a lot more exercise.

3) The stress I'm under has dropped dramatically. I'm almost certain that I tend to eat more stuff when I'm under stress.

As far as I can tell, I'm still losing weight, but not quite as fast. Right now I've reached the weight that I was at in the mid 1970's. My goal is to hit the weight I was at when I left the Army (I found Army food inedible).
Dudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I'm about the same weight as when I worked. I do exercise more(a little) but sometimes you need a little extra motivation to curb your appetite.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Abounds View Post
I've recently lost a significant amount of weight and am concerned that once I'm FIRE'd and am at home with cupboards full of food that I'll gain the weight back. So, I'm curious...for those of you who are FIRE'd, did maintaining your weight become an issue?
OK it's my turn to brag a little. Have been FIRE'd for around 4 years now. No weight problems as I run >20 miles per week in the hills. And I like to garden and then there is fire wood chopping ... oh well, you get the picture . I just love to sweat and my DW makes me take one shower per day.

You also might try moving. I'm pretty low weight but that took even the little bit of fat off me when we moved after 25 years at the same location. Lots of moving activity.

Seriously, if you want to get rid of that extra weight all you have to do is get moving doing something instead of talking about it.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote