Join Early Retirement Today

Did you gain weight when you FIRE'd?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Did you gain weight when you FIRE'd?

I've recently lost a significant amount of weight and am concerned that once I'm FIRE'd and am at home with cupboards full of food that I'll gain the weight back. So, I'm curious...for those of you who are FIRE'd, did maintaining your weight become an issue?
Chaos Abounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am 51, retired 3 years, like to exercise and eat, and need to lose weight.

I have lost about 15 lbs since retiring. I still need to lose more. I am
finding I am eating better at home than when I worked, mainly thru being
able to make alot of salads - always 1, sometimes 2/day. Taking salad
to work never seemed like an option.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nope. More time for walks, workouts, kayaking.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Abounds View Post
I've recently lost a significant amount of weight and am concerned that once I'm FIRE'd and am at home with cupboards full of food that I'll gain the weight back. So, I'm curious...for those of you who are FIRE'd, did maintaining your weight become an issue?
I think you'll have more time to prepare & eat smaller, healthier meals at more regular intervals. You'll also have more time to focus on eating triggers & behaviors, and learn to avoid the pitfalls.

My problem was six-hour watches where I couldn't eat, or running around all morning dealing with problems and then racing through lunch.

You have to be responsible for your own entertainment, but we don't find ourselves spending the day waddling between Taco Bell & Dairy Queen...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

At one year, I’m about the same. Before retirement I viewed my weight the same way as my PF, pretending there was a whole lot less there so that I would save more. After RE, PF is rising, weight holding it’s own and I’m paying attention to the numbers for the first time. It remains to be seen if the “cupboards full of food” is better or worse for the waistline than the stuff I picked up from deli’s near w*rk. Cooking at home more can be time-consuming, fun, work, a hobby, and part of an answer to the question, “what do you do all day.”
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lost weight due to more time for exercise and healthier eating (less fast food and more meals at home). I'm probably in the best shape of my life (or certainly since my college days). The biggest change is having the time for exercise, outdoor activities, and shopping for/preparing meals at home.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

That's why God invented this thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ins-24924.html

to which I will again be posting as soon as the Summer of Eating is over.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That's why God invented this thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ins-24924.html

to which I will again be posting as soon as the Summer of Eating is over.
See 'ya there, good idea to wait (weight) until after Labor Day.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I already bike or run 6 days a week and it's easy to control food intake at w*rk...it's when I'm at home on the weekends that I have trouble...and once I'm FIRE'd every day is a weekend...

Maybe I'll become a gym rat...
Old 08-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Weight loss has been a continual struggle for me, throughout my adult life. While I finish up my last few months of work I am not "winning the battle" but at least I am not going wild and eating everything in sight.

I sure hope that everyone is right, and that I won't gain in retirement. I admit that I have been wondering about that, too.

After I retire and cubicle-sitting is no longer required, I have great plans to sit less and move more. We'll see how that works out. Weekends are tough for me too, because Frank and I eat at restaurants all weekend. I am planning to make some rules concerning how many meals per week I can eat out, after retirement.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I made a promise to myself that I would lose and maintain a healthy weight after retirement.

I purchased an elliptical machine and I'm on it Monday through Friday for about 30 minutes in the mornings - vigorously. I consider it my only job.

I lost 30 pounds and have stayed in my healthy range for over a year. It's all in your mind. If you commit to it.... it works.
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good View Post
I made a promise to myself that I would lose and maintain a healthy weight after retirement.

I purchased an elliptical machine and I'm on it Monday through Friday for about 30 minutes in the mornings - vigorously. I consider it my only job.

I lost 30 pounds and have stayed in my healthy range for over a year. It's all in your mind. If you commit to it.... it works.
That is wonderful!! I am so impressed. I am hoping/planning to regard daily exercise as my only job in retirement, too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #13

It's been a year, and I've dropped 15 pounds. This was intentional, but I am not exercising any more than I did when I worked. The difference is a less sedentary day. There's lots to be said for not spending all day sitting at a desk.

When I went for my annual eye exam, my prescription did not need to be changed. If anything, my eyesight was stronger. The doctor says that he sees that often with retirees -- less time on the computer -- less eyestrain.

-- Rita
Old 08-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Losing weight in retirement

I retired two months ago at 59. When people asked me what I planned to do in retirement, I told them that the only goal I had was to exercise more and lose weight.

I had been overeating prior to retiring. I have started eating sensibly, but no real diet. Instead of having a McDonalds Big Breakfast and an extra hash brown, I am eating just cereal and occasional fruit. Lunches and dinners are the same things I was always eating, but in more reasonable quantities. Snacks are limited to carrots, tomatoes, radishes and the like.

Have only been out to eat maybe 8 times since retiring. I used to go out to lunch every day. Restauarant meals are an invitation to overeating. The one "gimmicky" thing I have done is to eat 4-6 Fiber Choice tablets per day (6 is the recommended max on the bottle). It *seems* to make it easier to avoid overeating, so I'm good with that.

As far as exercise, I have developed a habit of walking an hour (about 3 miles) a day on the walking trails in town. I skip it on days I mow the lawn and occasionally if it is too muggy, or if my body asks for a break, but I have been able to do it most days.

By now you are wondering whether it worked. Well, this morning I was 232, down 30 lb from my start at 262. Works for me.

If you want to lose weight in retirement, make it your new job.

CT Retiree
CTRetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #15

So far no difference that not retired. I lost about 15 lbs in the first two years, gained 20 in the next two years and I am not working on the next two years, and the yo yo is going down.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #16
gone traveling

I gained weight BEFORE I retired. I'm an overachiever.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #17

After my last day of work (at least for now), we spent 10 days in FL with friends, then 8 days with my girlfriends and family in Seattle, and then another 4 days with friends in FL. Lots of food and drink and a few extra pounds. They made me eat and drink too much!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Gained weight after I retired. Oops!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I've been retired a little more than 4 years with no weight gain - or loss.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad to know it's not a given... :-)