Did you get rid of your "work clothes"?

Your work clothes were pj's. Career telecommuter or....?

A surgeons scrubs is my guess.

Yes NYEXPAT has it right though telecommuter would have been less stressful! I was going to add that they are in high demand from the kids at Hallowe'en too as Moemg pointed out. Same reason I kept my stethoscope and IDs - finishing touches for the costume.

Yes NYEXPAT has it right though telecommuter would have been less stressful! I was going to add that they are in high demand from the kids at Hallowe'en too as Moemg pointed out. Same reason I kept my stethoscope and IDs - finishing touches for the costume.

Lol, that makes sense now.

Donated all our ER - liberated work clothing. Cleared out a 12x16 closet. :)

This thread is a good reminder that I need to (almost) spring clean a lot of those old things out of the closet. Just need to keep a sport jacket or two and a wedding/funeral suit.

I cannot wait to get rid of my work clothes. I retire in 9 months and am only going to keep 1 suit, 1 slacks and a couple nice blouses. that is it! I probably will only use that stuff on a cruise ship. LOL

I keep thinking I will wear those Khakis and button down shirts in the closet - i do put on the old business casual uniform about 10 times a year - I did get rid of same color shirts - yes I did have 4 blue shirts!

I have a LOT of white or blue shirts. . . ridiculous really.

Enlightening to see most of you discarded. I expected more "keeps".

I keep thinking I will wear those Khakis and button down shirts in the closet

Same here. I'll wear the khakis once or twice/year, but I haven't worn a button down shirt in 12 years except with suits for weddings, and those aren't my old work button downs. Now that you've brought it up I think I'll donate them all when we get back up north this summer. And my old ties too. Even my Jerry Garcias. I'm never going to wear a tie again (except weddings).

None fit. Well I did find a suit from the 1980s that did. However my last white dress shirt's had an 18" neck, I looked pretty silly in them after losing 2.5" in my neck.

I have a LOT of white or blue shirts. . . ridiculous really.

Enlightening to see most of you discarded. I expected more "keeps".

I don't see why I should get rid of my white and blue shirts.

I am not ashamed of wearing them to go to the grocery store or to the library (not that I do that often due to my wearing a polo shirt or t-shirt already at home).

The nice new-looking ones, I keep to go with my suits. The older ones, I will wear them until they are worn, and good to wear for painting or staining. When working outdoors or go hiking, the long sleeves keep my arms from sunburn.

Last edited:
My white shirts turned yellow, so I tossed them.

I still have my suits and sports jackets - retired last July. I'll likely do some part time work in the future, so I'm holding onto them for now. But - I don't anticipate keeping them long-term; will donate to charity.

I kept my long sleeve shirts with the organization logo on them. They are great for working in the yard or around the house. The last couple of years at w*rk I had gradually shifted over to dockers, and those are good for wearing out and about. My fancy business work shirts were all worn out at RE time (I definitely stretched them too far at the last months at work).

DH and I both cleaned out our closets. I kept a couple pair of dress pants and shirts, just in case. We both have our "retiree uniforms" of jeans and t shirts:LOL:

This is a hard one for me. I’m still working. Every time I think about my clothes closet, I tell myself it won’t change much after I retire because I’ll still have board meetings, consulting, charity dinners, etc. Maybe that means I won’t really be retired. Hmmm.

I gave away about half of my closet. I kept some dresses and nice slacks for weddings, funerals and cruises.

I've thrown most of my suits out. They were too worn to be worth donating anyway, and I keep a couple for the occasional funeral or wedding. We'll be going to a funeral service at Arlington National Cemetery next month and that does warrant wearing a suit.

My white shirts turned yellow, so I tossed them.

The LBYM me would still keep them for doing gardening. See:

... The nice new-looking ones, I keep to go with my suits. The older ones, I will wear them until they are worn, and good to wear for painting or staining. When working outdoors or go hiking, the long sleeves keep my arms from sunburn.

Come to think of it, while I never wore jeans or t-shirts to work, not even once in my life, my dress clothes are nicer than my "work" clothes. I only own one pair of jeans, preferring khaki that is softer and more comfortable.

Nope. No throwing away anything, unless it has holes. And even then, it is still good for a painting session or heck, even an entire DIY project.

I switched to a mind set of wearing out my existing work clothes a couple years ago. So, now I am looking forward to pitching all those clothes. There are a few suits I have that are very lightly worn and pretty that I will keep. But the everyday stuff has already shown up in my visions of what I will do the first weekend after my last day!! Trash comes on Monday morning. :):)

Upon ER I immediately boxed up all of my w*rk clothes, i.e. suits, dress shirts/slacks, ties, etc and donated them to the local VVA. If I need something "formal" in the future Good Will is only a few blocks away.

I think it was part of the cathartic effect, of leaving one world permanently behind and entering a new one. :)

_B

Still have my w*rk suits (8 or 9), dress shirts (at least a dozen), shoes (4 pairs) and ties (too many to count). They are in the "back bedroom" closet. Not sure why I still have them except that I knew I'd need to dress properly for weddings and funerals. Had two such occasions since I retired a year and a half ago. May be time to purge and donate...

I switched to a mind set of wearing out my existing work clothes a couple years ago. ... Trash comes on Monday morning. :):)
Yes, I have only bought new work items a couple of times, all for replacements, in the past couple of years. But I suddenly woke up to the fact I have some wool pants, though washable, and this is my last winter of working. Been wearing the heck out of navy wool pants/ black wool pants/ navy / black. It's all I plan to wear for the next month. They do require ironing though.

Didn't have a uniform.

My suits and pants were an easy decision to not keep due to the battle of the bulge :rolleyes:.

Along with donating them, I also donated several ties. Did keep a handful of ties for time I have to go out and act formally dressed :cool:.

I wore a coat and tie most of my career.

Now days I wear shorts, shirts, levis and sneakers. I had to give up flip flops. They make my back hurt. No, I did not keep my work clothes. After FIRE I also lost weight and the suits no longer fit. I have two new suits, one dark one light and one sports coat. :dance:

The only time I wore a suit for work related reasons was for an interview. I keep a couple of suits for social occasions. My last seven years of work were telecommuting from home, except for the rare business travel. So I could work in whatever I wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom