Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I gave away most of my suits and business attire, but kept a few nice pants and jackets to wear for my university volunteer work. Also kept a few dresses that can double as business attire or wedding/funeral attire.

I haven’t missed any of it and will probably give even more away once I’m retired a bit longer (16 months so far).

One thing I need more of is clothes that are good for travel - lightweight, don’t wrinkle and coordinate with each other. I bought several pairs of walking sandals but need some more athletic shoes. Mainly what I wear most days are gym pants or shorts, an exercise shirt or tank top, and athletic shoes.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #62

I donated most of my suits to the Salvation Army. I kept a few for special occasions. Our company had a business casual dress code unless we had meetings with customers. My wife, who was a RN OR/Surgical kept her scrubs. She claims it was hard to find scrubs for tall and slim women.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am still working, but only need business casual attire. I have one black suit that fits me for weddings and funerals and two very lightly worn suits and a sport coat that do not fit anymore. I guess I just need to donate them to the mission, but it's hard to let go of clothes that were expensive to purchase. I have visions of selling the sport coat on eBay, as well as a few other things around the house as one of retirement activities, but who knows. Like others have said, I am wearing out my current office clothes and will only replace what is absolutely necessary.
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #64
gone traveling

From a wife’s perspective... how to convince husband to get rid of suits that haven’t been worn to work since 1997 and never will be worn again. What are the magic words, need some Jedi mind games please
michelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelek View Post
From a wife’s perspective... how to convince husband to get rid of suits that haven’t been worn to work since 1997 and never will be worn again. What are the magic words, need some Jedi mind games please
STEALTH PURGING
My DW had a bunch of clothes that were moved to my closet 10 years ago and never worn. One day while she was napping, I filled 2 boxes. One I gave to Goodwill, the other to Salvation Army
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelek View Post
I turned every hanger in my husbands closet backwards, and tacked a note to the wall in his closet the day I did it. A year later (actually it was 18 months because i forgot about it) I went in his closet and pointed out that he had worn none of those things for 18 months. Most of them he admitted he wasn't going to wear them again. A few others he seemed reluctant to part with. I threw out the first group, the second group I put back (hangers still backwards) a year later I threw those out without asking. That was more than 2 years ago and he has not noticed.

For myself- I have not retired (yet but i'm getting close) I find myself buying clothes that could do double duty- I can wear them to work, but they will also work with jeans etc. And I've been reluctant to replace expensive work shoes I know I'll never wear anywhere else. I have lots, I just throw out the worn ones and don't buy new.