Join Early Retirement Today

Did you get rid of your "work clothes"?
Old 03-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did you get rid of your "work clothes"?

If not, how many did you keep? I am not yet retired but we did change dress code a few years back and thinking I should start discarding the old ones.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

h
Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
If not, how many did you keep? I am not yet retired but we did change dress code a few years back and thinking I should start discarding the old ones.
Yes, in 1998.

I worked East Coast culture from 1985 to 1998.

Once I visited West Coast culture (Engineering/It) in 1999 where they wore shorts, flip flops, face tattoos and nose rings, I threw away my old dress code crap. Now I wear shorts to work. I still don't have a nose ring.

Anyway, I'm done with suits, ties and all that crap. I have one pair for funerals and weddings. Sorry for the repeats. Maybe you can keep two iterations and not repeat as much as me. Otherwise, Your Favorite Local Good Charity is your friend. Get rid of all that stuff.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #3

Kept one suit and my good overcoat. Haven’t worn either one since. Did wear the one “slacks and a shirt” a couple of times. Course I’m at the lake a lot.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:10 PM   #4
gone traveling

Still working. Sort of.
I went to golf shirts, shorts in 1996. After I shower. Which might be as late as 1600.
My wife made me buy a suit for our daughter’s first wedding. Hopefully, there will not be a second.
Have not had an overcoat since 1980 when I moved to Colorado.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #5

Yes. Just did some purging. I think I have more to go, but I kept 1 suit (gray), a couple sport coats and coordinating slacks, a few dress shirts. If I don't wear any of them in a year, I'll pair down to 1 suit, 1 sport coat and 1 dress slack.

I still need to get rid of my dress shoes. I'll keep a black dress shoe and a burgundy pair of penny loafers (casual dress), and a couple shirts.

I ended up with about 1/3 of my closet being clear. I'm probably going to put some shelves in a couple of the compartments the used to be for hanging. My jeans and short pants don't need to be hung up.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I sent all of my suits, dress shirts, ties, cuff links etc to charity. Lost a fair amount of weight after retirement, downsized our home, moved. All provided the impetus. I still have a few pairs of dress shoes that will soon be going. They are like new. I kept one suit for weddings and funerals.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:14 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Hehe, good question!

We had a choice. We could wear a dress shirt & tie or we could wear (at our expense) a knit pullover with the company logo. I bought a lot of knit logos.

And when I retired I tossed them all inna trash where they belong -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:16 PM   #8

I still have a few pairs of green pj's in my closet. They are great for painting in and are quite comfortable and light. And they wash up very well.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #9

I had about 20-25 suits. A few years before I early retired the company went to full-time business casual.

I donated about half the suits a year or so before I retired. The rest got donated about 2 years into retirement. Haven't needed 'em, haven't missed 'em.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
a knit pullover with the company logo. I bought a lot of knit logos...I tossed them all inna trash
Should have donated to Goodwill so I could buy them.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:59 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
I still have a few pairs of green pj's in my closet. They are great for painting in and are quite comfortable and light. And they wash up very well.
Your work clothes were pj's. Career telecommuter or....?
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman View Post
Your work clothes were pj's. Career telecommuter or....?
A surgeons scrubs is my guess.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #13

I have one suit, a blazer, and a couple of dress shirts and ties for Formal Nights on a cruise. That's it.
I read a book recently, where the author wrote," he was attired in the retired style-T shirt, shorts, and flip flops". And I said, that's me"
I donated all my dress shirts and ties to Goodwill
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:30 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I got rid of the formal clothing that I wore to various more formal work functions like meetings, conferences, presentations, and so on. I kept one simple black dress for funerals.

My business casual clothes were polo shirts and long pants, and they are stuffed in the back of a closet. I almost never wear any of them. But, they do come in handy once in a long while. I should probably get rid of 90% of them. This is my 9th year of retirement so it's past time to do that.

Now that I am retired, I wear "retiree sloppy" clothes like shorts and t-shirts.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:59 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

When I last worked, I wore pants, polo shirts if not long-sleeve, and leather loafers. Dress code at work never allowed t-shirt, shorts, or sneakers.

Now, my daily clothes are shorts and t-shirts around the house. Pants and polo shirts when I run errands, with sandals or boat shoes.

Still have all my formal clothes. For my daughter's wedding 2 years ago, I bought a tux. Felt like splurging then, so also bought a new suit, which I have not worn yet. Still keep all my ties, cuff links, and dress shirts.

Got 4 pairs of Oxford and wingtip shoes like new in the closet. Just recently, polished and reconditioned 4 pairs of slip-on black leather shoes, which I used to wear to work. Reason: they are for occasions when dress shoes are too much, and sandals are too casual.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:19 AM   #16

I kept my long sleeved, primarily white and blue, dress work shirts. They're still my work shirts, only now it's when I work in the yard. 100% cotton, very light and breathable, yet provide good sun and bush/branch protection. Plus they're very stylish.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:56 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Still have much of my business clothes. Will get rid of most of them. Just haven't done it yet.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:04 AM   #18

I kept one dental smock, I wish I'd kept maybe a couple more. They work great for house painting, or sealing a driveway. Lightweight, cover the arms.
I never wore a suit to work. Never wore a tie either.
When I graduated from school my dad graciously bought me a suit that I needed for a pal's wedding. The next suit I bought was for my daughter's wedding.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:31 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Still have much of my business clothes. Will get rid of most of them. Just haven't done it yet.
Likewise.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:43 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

DW decluttered my work clothes, but I still have about 7 pairs of pants and 7 shirts that I haven’t worn in more than 5 years.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote