Did you go BACK to work? What was your decision process?

CountryGal

Recycles dryer sheets
I am late 50s and hubby still works (mid 60s). I have been retired for just over a year. It was not my choice. Now my former employer has given me an offer for a temporary part time gig that will last until the end of the year (at least). The hours are 25-30 a week. I would prefer 8-16. :)

I have grown to like retirement and a very slow pace. I'm not sure how I will be able to adapt. It has been tough to get the stuff I need to done, but that could be due to a touch of depression.

Anyone have experience with this? What was your thought process. I need to give them an answer next week. The money is good, but the social aspect and mental challenge are more attractive to me.

TIA!

If you don't need the $, why go back if you are happy being retired?

I am late 50s and hubby still works (mid 60s). I have been retired for just over a year. It was not my choice. Now my former employer has given me an offer for a temporary part time gig that will last until the end of the year (at least). The hours are 25-30 a week. I would prefer 8-16. :)

I have grown to like retirement and a very slow pace. I'm not sure how I will be able to adapt. It has been tough to get the stuff I need to done, but that could be due to a touch of depression.

Anyone have experience with this? What was your thought process. I need to give them an answer next week. The money is good, but the social aspect and mental challenge are more attractive to me.

TIA!
It sounds like they are trying to get as much out of you as they can (30 hours a week) without having you as full time (and paying benefits). I was going to say don't do it for the money, but do do it if you miss and want the mental stimulation. Having said that, you also mention that you retirement was "not your choice", so that would make me wary to go back. If they treated you unfairly one time, they can do it again.

I don't need the money, although in the spirit of One More Year it doesn't hurt. But I do need the benefits and that was a deciding factor in going back to work full-time. They refused to meet me in the middle with any kind of benefit package for part-time work at any wage, but were willing to offer full-time work, so that is what I did.

I took a RIF package, and couldn't come back for 6 months. After that my old boss asked me to come back as a contractor for a 9 month full time gig. I did it as a favor to him, and finished the tasks he wanted me for. But it was a PITA, and I wouldn't do it again. I didn't need the money, although I was still in that scary "Can I really do this?" phase many of us go through right after pulling the trigger. Today (10 years later) I would advise not to do it, but it's an individual decision. If it helps you sleep better and get through the transition, go for it. But if you're secure in your decision to FIRE, I'd say walk away. Retirement is sooooo much better than a few extra ducats.

I retired 3 years ago, but fell into some part time contracting about a year ago. The pay is excellent, the work is fun and the hours are flexible....usually 20 a week. I don't need the work so there is zero pressure.

I retired over 3.5 years ago and have "tried" a few different jobs since then (working with friends), but each time I realized within a few weeks it just wasn't "for me." I would consider part-time w*rk in a "dream job," if one happens to pop-up. Something changed in me when I retired, think I was just so burnt-out with all the BS. To me, retirement is a dream come true, and it has different phases of hobbies, interests, side-gigs, volunteerism, exercise, w*rk, etc. It's a wonderful chapter in Life, and each day is yours...enjoy! I happily retired at age 42, and wouldn't change a thing [emoji2]

Perhaps a change is good, be sure to block out time if you and husband are planning any vacation time.
I would charge by the hour, not a weekly pay, that way if they give you more than 30 hrs of work, they pay for it.
I do very occasional contract work, and find the socialization, very fun, so you might enjoy it.

I would if the commute is closer. However, I'm not looking for anything and enjoy my retirement. But my husband is also retired, if he is not, I might be working still. I retired because he wanted to retire.

I would consider other ways to meet your needs for social interaction and mental stimulation. If you go back to the same company or same type of work, you are depriving yourself of the chance to fully adjust to retirement. Even though it wasn't your choice, it sounds like you're enjoying retirement at least somewhat. Perhaps taking up new interests and/or meeting new people would provide the benefits you're looking for without having to go back to work.

I would consider other ways to meet your needs for social interaction and mental stimulation. If you go back to the same company or same type of work, you are depriving yourself of the chance to fully adjust to retirement. Even though it wasn't your choice, it sounds like you're enjoying retirement at least somewhat. Perhaps taking up new interests and/or meeting new people would provide the benefits you're looking for without having to go back to work.

+1.
And I also agree that I would not trust the former employer....

CountryGal,
You have the human capital, and they have found it is not simple to replace an experienced worker. Emphasis on experienced worker. They save quite a bit by hiring you as a part timer.

You are in a good negotiating position. Set a higher rate and fewer hours. Build in flexibility as you need it. They must be thinking also that they will use you possibly to train/mentor someone else by the end of the year.

Personally, I would focus on number of days in office. That's just me, since I have a difficult drive that uses up more of my time. I would prefer 3 days of 8 hours. If job is right around the corner, that requirement is no longer important.

Would this in any way affect Healthcare premiums?

Why don't you just counter with 20 hours a week and see what happens? It sound like business might have picked up and they would like you back at work...yet 25-30 with no benefits is just a hair away from full time and I'd feel like they were trying to take advantage of me while they have no skin in the game.

Why don't you just counter with 20 hours a week and see what happens? It sound like business might have picked up and they would like you back at work...yet 25-30 with no benefits is just a hair away from full time and I'd feel like they were trying to take advantage of me while they have no skin in the game.

This is exactly what I was going to write.

I always new I wanted to find something very part time when I retired. I retired for a reason and that was not to be hand cuffed each day. If you want to work that much you should work. If you don't want to work that much or not at all then you make the rules. Lol I would counter like some have said. I work part time and get 90 days a year and pretty much can come and go as I please. If I want to be gone for a week I can and when I started this gig I told them that is what I would like. I knew if they couldn't live with that then it would be fine with me. You are in the drivers seat ask them what you feel you want to do. They take it or they leave it. Good Luck

In my previous post I neglected to mention a couple things. After I retired, which I did because my employer was hassling me to do even more travel than I was already doing (I was away from my young child every other week for the entire week). About a year later, my customer insisted in a contract negotiation with my former employer that I be a part of that contract for a period of time. I was contacted and I did agree to do some contract work (through a third party so that it wouldn't affect my pension), but refused to do more than 20 hours per week AND one trip per month on location, and at a pretty decent rate. :) Even with that, I was glad when the contract ended, as while I liked working with the customer, I didn't even want to do the once per month week away travel.

Since then, I started working part time teaching computer science at a local college. There is a story here too, as at first I taught one class per term, then two, then three, and now full time plus overload. I started doing this for the mental stimulation as I was doing mostly manual labor by myself (e.g. getting wood for winter heating season), and while I love doing this, I missed keeping up with the industry and technology in general, and teaching provided me a way to do this. I ended up going full time not for the money (my salary is about one quarter what I earned at retirement), but getting good health care benefits is a definite plus and eliminates a big expense. As someone else noted, getting some carry around money is also nice. (I am maxing out the annual tax deferred amount and spending the rest on toys.)

Edit: So part of this is for you to figure out what drives you. For me, I am very glad I left my previous job ("retired").

Last edited:
Maximum 3 days x 8 hours/day.
Paid hourly. Be sure you make that 2x more than what you were making when you retired.

7 months after I retired I was offered a opportunity to teach an online college class. 4 years later I teach it each semester and really love it. After I was gone from my state job for 2 years they needed me back as the position was empty. They could not find an evaluator so I agreed to also train a new grad with a master's in the field. That was f.t. work. I have heard that this person is now looking for a different state job and have decided that I can't help again if they ask. It was too much as I also do some consulting work. Ultimately decide what is best for you and not them.

Thanks for the comments so far they are helping me in the decision process. I see myself in so many of you.
- putting on something other than jeans and t-shirt will be tough.
- heck - just getting out of the house at a certain time 2-3 days a week will be hard.
- the thought of responsibility and commitments is daunting. Right now if something doesn't get done, there is always tomorrow to do it.
- if I don't want to go out in the "weather" I can wait till another day.
- my retirement was part of a ongoing downsizing - part of the reason they now need help to get projects completed.
- I do have a pension and healthcare
- I have considered getting a job 'for fun', but had not made any decisions. To be honest, if I truly want to work it doesn't get much better than this. People, work and organization I am familiar with. Same pay I was making before I left. Part time flexible hours. None of the stress of competing with everyone else for raises/ratings or meeting BS goals.
- I won't be training or mentoring anyone. This work is part of a project and when the project ends the work ends. I could be offered another project if they have one and I am interested in staying.

Now that you mention other details, it sounds more similar to my own experience. My layoffs and termination were followed by an offer to go back for less pay, part time, and no benefits. I was attracted to the part time aspect, but had aversion to going back for less pay. Even full rate made before would have been less, since there were no benefits. My last word on it was, "Call me if I get my old rate". Thankfully, I did not devalue my worth and accept that. I was contacted twice more, by HR further up the chain. Gave them same response.

Independent work showed up, and then a great offer. By withholding my human capital, I found what I suspected was my true rate all along. I'm much happier.

If you feel this offer is fair, and you'll be happier, then it is something to ponder. Keep in mind that some think the rate should be 1.5-2.0 times your hourly wage when working there before.

I did. We "over downsized" on the house when I first retired. I got an opportunity to pick up 600K or so for 2 years back in the grind. We upsized our house, I worked 24 months and now back retired. I now shield myself from temptation for more work. It is too easy to justify selling your freedom for a few more shekels. In the end, we don't need more "stuff".

Part of our decision process also included paying for home "rejuvenation", which mostly includes essential items, such as HVAC, roof, and other repairs.

TIA!

Yes, I'm back part time. Love it

1) I work p/t doing my hobby (baking). At one point, I had dreams of opening my own bakery but after seriously investigating it I realized that, that ship had sailed. this allows me to get paid without the responsibilty.mm;) One drawback? 4 am mornings

2) I'm a widow and most of my close friends are still working. I don't like traveling alone so I'm not doing a lot of additional traveling.

3) lol, there is only so much I need to do around the house and I'm not a DYI person anyway.

4) still have college kids at home
5) my mindset is totally different once I hit the "financially set" part of the equation. At any time this job becomes a PITA, I can quit. that knowledge in itself is very freeing

Last edited:
Three years after retiring, I'm still working 16 hours a week at my old hourly rate of pay (zero benefits) as a rehired annuitant. I like the people (mostly millennials), the work (the part of my former job that I most enjoyed), and the human interaction.

But this will be the last year. Why? It is both too much and not enough money.

Those of you who say "Demand 2X your former pay," it doesn't work that way in government. I get the hourly version of my former salary, which has barely gone up since 2010. Nevertheless, it puts us in a higher tax bracket, and I can't contribute to a 401K or a Roth...only $6500 a year to an IRA. So after Federal, State and local taxes and OASDI deduction (for a Social Security I will never receive), I take home about 55%. It's no longer enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom