Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #21

I've pretty much stopped at the point where Rambler said he gave away 50 ties and still has 100!
Holy smokes, I bet if I went into the closets of 20 of my male friends, I couldn't find 150 ties TOTAL! Wow, what a huge difference in lifestyle we have around here. I bet you folks who have had to dress up all the time must LOVE retired life!

DH wore a Spanis style Guyabera shirt to the last wedding we went to. Yes, there were dudes in ties, but he's going for the eccentric friend look. I think it is working. He has one suit that fits, and one that doesn't.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I plan on keeping my suits and will likely to continue to purchase them after FIRE. I find that I tend to get better treatment by strangers in many social situations when wearing a suit/jacket and tie. Also, my DW and I still have frequent "date nights" and we find it more fun to dress up for them. I have gotten a lot of compliments from women on how I look in a suit, so my vain side says I better keep them.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I had not given this a thought yet, maybe I should. It would be about half of my closet space. Hmmm, then maybe I could find what I am looking for!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got rid of most of my suits at the Salvation Army, but have kept too many. I really only need one blue suit for weddings and funerals. I used to have 50 dress shirts, I'm down to 25.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I wore mostly dress slacks and blazers with a nice top underneath for w*rk. If I knew ahead of time that I would be installing laboratory or computer equipment or making optical connectors, I wore black stretch jeans and wore a Tshirt. I could always throw on a knee length lab coat if I had unexpected visitors on a tour.
I did own 2 "power suits" for briefings and out of town conferences.

After I FIREd, I think I did the full closet cleanout during the 2nd year. I gave everything to my housecleaner, who picked out what she wanted and took the rest to her graduating class of brand new LPNs. I kept 2 blazers and 3 dress slacks for myself.

Now that I no longer have to prove myself in the w*rkplace, I bought and frequently wear girly sundresses and miniskirts in nice weather, something I would never have worn as a female Engineer. I even wear makeup these days.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Suits?

OK, I was in software development so wearing a suit just wasn't something that was ever going to happen.

I did own a "going to funeral/wedding" suit and I upgraded that just before I retired. Should last me another 10 years or so.
Me too, I don't own a suit. I do own a couple of Jerry Garcia ties.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I kept 2 suits , 3 sport jackets and a tux. I donated the rest. I use them a few times a year.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Well, once I got on the retirement glide path, I dropped 55 pounds, so losing the officewear was easy. I did keep the funkier logo'd shirts that were handed out reguarly, just because they were pretty funny (to me). The freebie t-shirts are handy workout duds.

Attachment 16602

Attachment 16603

Attachment 16604

(At least two of those belong in the "What I hated most" thread... And yes, we had a VP of Excellence one year, dedicated to trying to win the Deming award.)
Old 05-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Never had to wear a suit to work. I own 3 and only 1 fits well. The others I'm keeping in case I get small again. I also have a blue blazer that I wear when a coat and tie is required, which is extremely rare these days.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #30

Yes. 5 years after ER, I still have too many suits and dress shirts. I can't seem to pare them down to 3, which I think is the right number for someone who wears them maybe 3 times a year.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-nyc View Post
So I've been FIREd for two months now.

Shortly before FIRE, I purged a bunch of older dress shirts, but they were ones I wasn't really wearing so I still have a full compliment. I also have a bunch of suits still hanging in my closet.

The logical thing to do would be keep one or two and donate the others. But for some reason I can't get myself to do that just yet.

Did anyone else have this experience?
Congrad. on the Retirement!

I didn't have any work related suits to throw out but I had NO PROBLEM throwing out all of my computer books (I actually donated them to Good Will)
Old 05-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Should you admit on an open forum that you still have leisure suits in your closet? Maybe there is demand for them on Ebay...
Old 05-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

No suits but lots of scrubs to get rid of & nurse's clogs . I gave them all away except for one set that I kept for an easy halloween costume .
Old 05-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiretired2008 View Post
Should you admit on an open forum that you still have leisure suits in your closet? Maybe there is demand for them on Ebay...
You would have been very well dressed at the 70's party I attended recently!
Old 05-31-2013, 02:41 AM   #35

I kept 2 sets of winter and summer suits each - only those that still fit. I still find occasions to wear them ESP in winter when I wear a jacket over jeans. It's the nice looking high heeled shoes I find difficult to part with. They look so good but I'll break an ankle if I wear them now. Every year I say I'll give them away but I fail to.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't had to wear a suit for years but I do have 3 of them and they all still fit. I haven't wore a dress shirt for 2 years now but still have about 25 of them. I only have about 3 or 4 ties--rarely did I wear a tie with the suit. In my profession you can get away with a more casual look and now that I am on my own it is real casual! I was just commenting to my wife the other day that I haven't been to the drycleaners for quite awhile It seemed like I was going weekly a few years ago.

Oh I also own a nice tux.

I will likely keep them when I full retire (semi retired now) only to have something to wear on a special occasion. But it is nice to not wear them but occasionally it is nice to dress up for a special occasion.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #37

Back in the 80's and early 90's I worked in air pollution research and the conferences I went to were filled with civil engineers who always wore suits. Then I switched to DNA research and all that those biologists wore were blue jeans. Never wore a suit again. Don't have any to get rid of.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #38

I have not worn a tie for 14 years (who is counting? ha ha) and really dislike them -- and they are a piece of clothing that serves no purpose. It's the tie part of a suit I really dislike. For a couple of family funerals a few years back, I wore a nice collar-less black dress shirt under a sports jacket and it looked great. Even mom, ever the fashionista and whom I consulted to make sure I was not under-dressing, enthusiastically approved.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
....... and they are a piece of clothing that serves no purpose........
They can serve a Darwinian purpose around rotating machinery.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_ View Post
I didn't have any work related suits to throw out but I had NO PROBLEM throwing out all of my computer books (I actually donated them to Good Will)
Oh. I had tons of science and engineering books. I gave them to my local library. I kept a few books on ergonomics that I thought I might use if I did some post ER consulting. Never happened. They are still in a box.