Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

We knew what our magical date was going to be. H had to get in his 25th year and 1 day for full pension and fully paid retirement health insurance for both of us. We started our countdown 5 years ahead of time and I gave 7 months notice I was leaving and H has to turn his paperwork in 3 months ahead of time. On our last few weeks now.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I preplanned my ER date for May 1, 2011 to coincide with my 55th birthdate (Feb 27th). I was also using up 9.5 months of vacation time which nicely overlapped with Christmas, New Years, MLK Day, and Presidents Day vacations. For each month of vacation I accrued an additional 2 days of vacation time. I left in mid-Dec 2010 and even then I had 4 vacation days left over which they paid me in cash.

I gave them about 4 months notice and, as someone else mentioned, I basically became irrelevant in the office instantly. I tried to keep a little bit busy and productive but it was the longest 4 months of my life.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I set a "No Later Than" date of April 2, 2020, which is when I turn 50. But, the actual date will probably depend on a few other factors, such as how well the stock market does, how fast the BS buckets at work fill up, and any inheritances that might come my way.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I've set a couple of dates, but they've been overtaken by OMY.

Now I've got a no later than January 1, 2015, when I get paid for 6 weeks vacation.

However, I've got enough already for FIRE, and w*rk is a pain in the neck, literally. The stress of being there when I don't want to be crunches my deteriorating cervical discs, and I feel pain all down my arms. That's 25 years of punching a computer keyboard and leaning over a monitor in bad posture.

Lately it's one more vacation. Every month pays for a trip. I'm really questioning if it's worth it to be there any more, and may bail anytime.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Planned it! First possible day that i could re. Also gave em 4 months, they couldnt believe it. I figured the date over and over. Absolutely never looked back.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
I preplanned my ER date for May 1, 2011 to coincide with my 55th birthdate (Feb 27th)..
This is my plan right now (next year). But there won't be a long notice...depending on how mean I feel (and I can get mean ) might be 2 weeks...but that wouldn't be fair to my team but it is sooooo tempting...right in the middle of a big issue
Old 07-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #27

Quote:
The first day on which I was eligible for these benefits was 11/7/2009. However, that was a Saturday! What to do, what to do. I decided to retire on Monday, 11/9/2009, to make sure there wasn't any question about my eligibility for retirement benefits.
You are so much braver than I would be. I've seen far too many bad behaviors by Megacorp to ever give notice BEFORE a significant vesting date. Far too easy to get pushed out on short notice and miss the date. I plan to give notice only after I've vested or reached any significant bonus dates, giving appropriate professional notice but leaving no possibility at all that I miss an important date. Glad it worked for you.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #28

I have a firm date in mind, but no one at work knows. I have a countdown on my phone that I look at with satisfaction from time to time. 😊 it started at over 900 workdays and is now below 400.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I have a firm date in mind, but no one at work knows. I have a countdown on my phone that I look at with satisfaction from time to time. 😊 it started at over 900 workdays and is now below 400.

If you posted it, everyone would know and you can all quit together!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I have a firm date in mind, but no one at work knows. I have a countdown on my phone that I look at with satisfaction from time to time. �� it started at over 900 workdays and is now below 400.
I did something like that starting back in 2006...August, I think. An excel spreadsheet titled "2000Workdays.xls" I just had it set in my mind that I wanted to work about 2000 more days, so I started the countdown. I think it did coincide to wind down just short of my 46th birthday in April of 2016.

I haven't kept it up to date though, logging vacations and such, and I'm less optimistic that 2016 is a realistic goal for me.

So now, since I'm shooting for April of 2020, maybe I need to start a new file called "68.5_Months.xls" or something like that. I did a quick estimate and, factoring in government holidays and assuming I use all 5 weeks of my leave every year, I have roughly 1284 workdays until retirement!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #31

Yep, already have my last date tentatively set (although haven't given notice this far out yet).

If the stock is trading below about $45, it'll be Friday Feb 13, 2015. Below $45, it's just not worth it for me to stick around another month.

If the stock is trading above that, I'll stick around another month for the next ESPP payout, and last date would be Friday Mar 13, 2015.

Either way, I plan on leaving on a Friday the 13th
Old 07-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I set a date 2 years out but ended up RE'ing after only 12 months because we decided to take a long trip with our kids and the timing worked out better this way.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #33

I had planned for the day after I would turn 55 , THEN.......... in the year before that some major life events, and a transfer to a real crap assignment was the straw that broke the back of the camel.

Pushed up the date by 6 mo., and stuck to it.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I set my final date about 4 months ago and now it is almost here. 7/21/2014 was the first date I considered as it was the last of my yearly lots of stock options to vest. Then I moved it to 8/1 because I get an entire months worth of insurance for half the cost. After today, I have 8 working days left! I get paid for any leftover vacation, so I have taken just enough to keep me sane the last few months.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #35

My date planning was all over the map.
First I had my drop dead date - 55th birthday so 9/12/2016.
Then I decided I could do it when I had my 20 year anniversary with Megacorp - 1/30/2015.
Then DH pointed out that if I was staying till the end of January - why not stay 2 more months to get the 2014 bonus. (They pay it out 4/1 each year - and if you're not there, you don't get it.) So I set April Fools, 2014.
Then I found out I'd have to travel a lot this summer. And I gave 2 week notice after discussing it with DH. I hate work travel and I'd have been rotating 1week out of town out of every 3 for summer and fall. All for appearances to make the customer happy, not because I'd be useful at the customer site, or be of value there.

So... best laid plans and all - but no regrets about not sticking to the plan.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #36

DH and I are 56, but have been planning retirement for a long time.
Plan was for me to retire 1/1/15 and DH to follow 6/1/16 (when he qualifies for pension). Work was okay and I enjoy the people. Then a new SVP came on board late last year with grandiose plans to change the culture. After 9 months of seeing her agenda I moved my date to 8/1. No reason to stay any longer - in fact I should have left on 7/1 to kick off summer, but didn't want to leave my team without writing their year end reviews and recommendation for merits. I gave my director and HR notice on 7/3, but they don't plan to announce it until next week (I did tell my managers this week so they wouldn't be surprised).
My only concern at this point is that they may cheat me on my year end bonus. I'm already feeling less stress knowing I don't have to participate in the new culture BS. My managers are taking me out for lunch and drinks on my last day! I will miss them.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #37

Quote:
My only concern at this point is that they may cheat me on my year end bonus.
I hope they will be honorable and play fair with you, but I have seen this go badly so many times that I vow never to put myself in such a position. I will certainly not give notice until AFTER I have received whatever annual bonus or vesting is due. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #38

I asked our HR manager about my annual bonus today. She said year end reviews haven't been approved or finalized yet so she doesn't know about the impact to my bonus. So, not sure yet.....

Old 07-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #39

Since my employer had generally been nice to me, I gave a 6 week notice (working 2-3 days per week, filling in with vacation) to train my replacements (programming).
Old 07-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #40

Keep us posted. I'd be curious to hear if you think the bonus was adjusted after they knew you were a short timer.