Join Early Retirement Today
Did you regret moving away after retiring?
Old 07-31-2014, 05:55 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Did you regret moving away after retiring?

Originally Posted by W2R View Post
from NOLA! Yes, good guess! There are Springfields in a lot of states and I am really not interested in Springfield, LA. We'll probably stay put.

We've got one. It has Frank Lloyd Wright's Dana Thomas home. And another place I've never been: the Abraham Lincoln Museum, which I hear is great.

Can you tell I'm still a Yank at heart?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2014, 06:14 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
One take on it:

Stock Market Crash - Business Insider

Edit: Oops, wrong thread.

ggbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:27 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Some retired people I know have commented that moving away from friends and family to a warmer climate was a big mistake for the. They would rather have the cold and be near family and old friends than be far away and warm.

Another regret has been moving solely to be near the grandchildren (no other interest in the new area, etc.) As the grandchildren grow up they develop lives of their own and leave dotting grandparents for short weekend visits. At least that was the complaint I heard from some. YMMV.
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:35 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets
We moved 1800 miles away when DH retired, from NYC to Austin TX, where DH did his Ph.D. 30 years ago. I am still w*rking, hoping that changes soon. DH moved down here 2 days after he retired. I miss the ability to walk everywhere as one can in NYC and miss my circle of friends/acquaintances which I haven't yet been able to recreate because - still w*rking and have little time to pursue interests which would put me in touch with others. Few family left in the Northeast with parents, aunts and uncles all gone so no close family there. DH has gotten himself involved in the neighborhood association and a retired persons' organization at the local mega state university. It's not what he envisioned but it's all good.

Can't go home again - way too expensive and too much cold and snow. The killing we made selling our condo apartment has given us a big after-tax cushion even after purchasing our current house for cash. Moving to a place where the COL and taxes were lower than where we came from made it possible to live and save on my salary and bank/invest DH's SS and now RMDs. In addition I will be able to REarlier by 4-5 years than I originally thought would be feasible.

It's true that lots of "friends" are there only when you are physically present so staying in touch has faded away. But it's ok. I have hundreds of Facebook friends.

What I've found after being a lifelong New Yorker is that I am singularly unattached to a place, a house, my belongings. I really don't care. My only son (no grandkids) is in Los Angeles. Maybe I'll move there one day? I have lots of other acquaintances there. A big question mark.

As we get older though we have to think about mobility, being in a more walking-friendly and public transportation environment with less dependence on acuity of vision and brisk reflexes for lots of driving. Maine, while beautiful, isn't somewhere I'd want to live in my 80's with those harsh winters, making it hard to get around. It is such a personal decision. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
iac1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:46 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.
Has anyone relocated to Colorado for retirement? We returned last week from vacationing from there and found certain aspects to be attractive as compared to Wisconsin. Namely the dryer air and almost no bugs. We love Wisconsin but the bugs and humidity keep me from going outside as much as I'd like... and there aren't that many warm months in the year to begin with in WI! If we ever moved to CO, I don't have any idea where we'd go though... didn't spend enough time in any one place. Started in the NE corner (Estes Park touristy area) and traveled down through Boulder and Colorado Springs and eventually to Durango in the SW corner. It was all really nice... But I can't even decide if I'd want to be away from everything or in the middle of everything! I can already see us never moving out of indecisiveness.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
One more thing. After moving to SC, both of our kids and families moved to within 30 minutes of our new location. Go figure, they apparently like us.
We made the decision several years ago where we were moving to in Florida after retirement. In the last several months two of our kids beat us there. Now they are waiting for us to get there the end of September so I think our like us too. I am seriously jealous they got there before I did.

So hopefully no regrets. We did the pros and cons for years and the pros really outweigh the cons. We are not buying anything right now so nothing is permanent if it turns out to be a disaster.

sgfgrover15 is offline   Reply With Quote