Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #21
gone traveling

We have been in our 10 acre rural farm in NW Ohio for 25 years now about 8 miles from a 50,000 pop town where I currently work. I always used to say that we would be there another 25 years, or until we die, but i'm not so sure now. I don't do well in cold weather, and the traffic/pace/shopping crowds have increased exponentially in recent years, and looks like it will kick into overdrive from all the new people building/moving in.

My BIL is a cop in South Florida, and needs to get out, and is now eligible for full police union retirement, and wants to head to Tennessee and buy some rural property.
We have looked at doing the same, and now are looking at remote 100+ acre tracts (very affordable) to build a home on, and have nature at our doorstep, with recreational areas nearby.

Looking to buy property in the next year or two, and slowly move the farm South until we retire in 2027 at 62 years old.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2019, 08:08 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmm... Everyone has such happy stories about moving...
We are semi-retired, so in anticipation of full retirement, DW and I rented a house in a +50 community, about 1/2 hour from where we currently live, Community is on the ocean, great views, lots of clubs, activities, and social life, seemed perfect. We are 52, so we knew we would be one of the younger couples, but found that there were almost no couples under 60. Drive to nearest town was 20+ minutes highway driving. We have decided that it is not for us. Views are nice, people are nice, just not to our liking. Glad we rented first.
justlikebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I moved to NV 22 years ago for a job and met my current husband. We love it here. We have a mild 4 seasons, mountains, low property taxes and no state income taxes. There are tons of stuff to do so never bored. The only down side is the town has doubled in size since we have been here.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Absolutely.. Moved from Chicago to North Carolina.
+ Weather
+ Cost of Living
+ Traffic
+ Parking/Tolls fees
+ Friendliness
+ Crime

Lots of "Free" things in Chicago involved a 30-45 minute drive and you still often had to pay up to $25 for parking. Here it is just free, easy to get to, plenty of free parking.

Property tax was more than most people's all-in mortgages so paying off the house didn't feel like a win.

We feel like we are on vacation every day here, it was a little scary at first but got over it very quickly when I realized life was just so much better especially day to day.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:29 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

We did, but only recently. I am from Georgia originally, but over the years...well, there are just way too many people in the metro Atlanta area and I have been ready for a more rural setting for a long time. We stayed in ATL after I retired to help out with the aging parents, but when they passed, we headed out west.

We are now in a fairly rural area with a little land but still fairly close to amenities. I love the "lack of people" and the quiet that comes with that. We were originally going to build but happened to come across a pre-built that pretty much fulfilled all our wants and needs (and then some!) so we purchased instead. We have finally gotten settled in (and unpacked...yay!) and it's pretty fantastic.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:44 AM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
Kind of. My last assignment (Federal Officer) was to DC in 2014 after living in the Huntsville, AL for six years. We liked North Alabama and hate DC. So after 10 months in DC, I was offered early retirement, so moved back to Alabama. I've now been FIREd for a nearly 3.5 years. But I'm bored. We live in a small town and everyone our age (and older) still works. My social interaction has suffered and I'm an extrovert. So now we are looking at one last move to a 55+ community in Florida when our DS leaves for college in a couple of years. So... Anyone have recommendations for a 55+ community in Central Florida with access to fitness, pool, boating, fishing? We are thinking a manufactured home community to spend our Winters and RV travel in the summer.

Yes. We live in Water Oak Golf Estates in Lady Lake, FL. We live near the Villages. You can check out the community at suncommunities.com. We love it here.
umograd83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:51 AM   #27

Nope. Staying here in the NW. We have made a point of taking a major Fall and Winter trip south for a few weeks to get us out of the winter doldrums but we love our house, location and it's paid off.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #28

Yes, in fact I left the state on my last day of work after all the checkout process was done and drove approx 300 miles. Left NM and moved to OH to be near family. Been about 18 months now and happy to have made the move.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

We were in Naples Italy when I retired. Retirement meant that we lost our visas and we had to move.

It was a great opportunity to re-invent myself.

We live in a rural area of dense forest. We love it.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Last j*b was in Baltimore, lived near OwingsMills MD. Bought current house in small town 60 miles SE of Pittsburgh about 9 months before handing in my notice at a Public Transit outfit, that I have retired. Was not yet eleigible, but BS bucket was way overflowing. 59.5 on the dot.

Late wife picked the town, I liked it too. It is quaint tourist trap and pleasant enough, four cars in a row is considered a traffic jam normally. When the town puts on big events, I along with most of the locals leave town.

I have not yet decided if I will stay here. Been here little over ten years. I drive twice a week into Pittsburgh for Argentine Tango where I have an apartment for dance classes. Starting to feel like a commute.
When I figure out what I want to be when I grow up, I'll decide where to do it. Since I decided that w*rk is a way ugly four letter word, I pass on that passtime.

Becoming a true Milonguero is not likely, it takes around 30 to 40 years of steady dancing to get there. To do it I'd have to move close to where there are several Milongas (Tango dance halls). If I were successful, I'd be the only 110 year old Milonguero. Not bloody likely. Though trying to do it could be great fun. besides it sure beats w*rking!!!
Old 01-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
+ Weather
+ Cost of Living
+ Traffic
+ Parking/Tolls fees
+ Friendliness
+ Crime

Lots of "Free" things in Chicago involved a 30-45 minute drive and you still often had to pay up to $25 for parking. Here it is just free, easy to get to, plenty of free parking.

Property tax was more than most people's all-in mortgages so paying off the house didn't feel like a win.

We feel like we are on vacation every day here, it was a little scary at first but got over it very quickly when I realized life was just so much better especially day to day.
Karen, my wife and I have the exact same idea. We are also in Chicago and plan to move to NC or TN when we retire, which we plan to do in 6 years. May I ask what part of NC you are in? We have been looking for a couple years and haven't found the perfect spot, which for us would be in a town with plenty of amenities, but very close, if not next to, drive to the mountains or lake.
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #32

We stayed in the same place, a HCOL location in a state infamous for criminal mismanagement. The weather is pretty bad too.

We actually love our house and the local suburban area. It's far enough from the big city to cut back on congestion and crime. Our neighbors are the best we have ever had, also retirees. Some decent outdoors opportunities, but I've always dreamed about living out west.

I do dream of better weather and mountains, as in SoCal, AZ, or even NM. I think I'd love to move, but don't want to leave friends and a great church. We're somewhat introverted, and it could be tough forming new friendships of real depth. A move would also be a pain in the *ass and potentially a financial strain and complication too.

So, I'm pretty conflicted. The summers are wonderful here. The 8 months of winter isn't.

Actually, I'm surprised by how many folks here have made major moves around retirement. I recall an AARP article stating that most retirees do NOT move. To be fair, this board probably has wealthier and more "worldly" retirees than the general population Also, it seems like most have moved to smaller towns or even rural areas. This is pretty tempting to me, but it would be a tough sell for DW.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #33

My original "retirement plan" was to put the snow blower in the back of the pickup truck and drive south until people started asking what that machine was for. DW didn't want to move that far from family west of Frederick, MD so we moved from bordering Washington, D.C. to the eastern panhandle of WV, about an hour and a half drive but a world away in culture, traffic and taxes. And it turned out to be actually closer to her family than where we were.

I did learn that winter isn't nearly the hassle it used to be if you don't have to commute in it every day and I even enjoy playing with a snow blower as long as I can go back inside afterward. (I have bad memories of having to shovel snow, a machine that does it for me is a minor miracle.) The two car garage that we couldn't afford in the D.C. area spoiled us real quick - no more scraping ice & snow off windows or getting into a heat-soaked car with a steering wheel too hot to touch. So, while I'd still prefer moving a few states south, it isn't that big of a deal to me anymore. Taxes are a fraction of what they'd be if we had stayed near D.C.

Since the area is less congested traffic isn't the hassle that it is closer to D.C. and the whole attitude of the population is just more laid-back and relaxed.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:15 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
+ Weather
+ Cost of Living
+ Traffic
+ Parking/Tolls fees
+ Friendliness
+ Crime

Same things with Florida.

One simple example is to see the International car show in NYC, the nearby parking 2 years ago was $60 yes 60.
In Tampa, $5.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I did learn that winter isn't nearly the hassle it used to be if you don't have to commute in it every day and I even enjoy playing with a snow blower as long as I can go back inside afterward. (I have bad memories of having to shovel snow, a machine that does it for me is a minor miracle.) The two car garage that we couldn't afford in the D.C. area spoiled us real quick - no more scraping ice & snow off windows or getting into a heat-soaked car with a steering wheel too hot to touch.
Both thoughts are so true: (1) when retired, if the weather is bad outside just stay inside. It's pretty darn comfortable in my house even where there is a blizzard raging. (2) A few simple (hah!) accommodations make winter (or summer for at matter) so much easier - I honestly wouldn't own a house without an attached garage, it makes life just so much more pleasant.

And that area of WV is beautiful. Enjoy!
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I moved to a beach in Vietnam and loving it so far. I can live in a nice place, dine out everyday, drink and be nicely entertained all for less than 1/2 my rent in the Bay Area (CA). I am thinking to make this place my base and travel the world from here. Planning to do South America this summer. So far it is working out better than I expected
VungTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

It took awhile but almost a year ago we moved about 250 miles. Same state, but different metropolitan area. We have scattered kids so there was no one place where kids were located or would be located in future. We moved to the general area where I grew up and where I have a lot of extended family and some friends and one of DH's daughters lives nearby.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:11 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Bought a new house on the golf course so it seemed like relocating. But in same town just a better location. And bought a vacation condo on the AL coast for a change of pace. Enjoying it right now.
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

In many situations, moving at or when retiring is a very good decision. A change of scenery can be very good.

After 12 years fighting Atlanta traffic, we sold our home in a upscale swim tennis community for list price in 10 days. We moved where my parents lived on the Tennessee River in Northwest Alabama. It wasn't long until my parents had to move where my sister could take care of them in a larger medical market--and they never returned.

We bought a 2350 square foot home with a full basement I finished. Nine years later, the wife got bored and we bought a 5200 square foot foreclosure cheap. We sold our other home for list price in 5 days after going on the market.

We float between our house in town and the lake house I inherited with two 18 hole golf courses down the street. And we still have our fifth wheel RV in the Northeast Georgia mountains to visit. The extremely low cost of living and low property taxes allow us to have too much real estate.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:57 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

No. I don't have a big circle of friends or activities I worked hard to accumulate, so what I have here I could never give up. I moved around several times in the 1980s in the first 4 years after finishing college before I moved into my co-op apartment in a well-run building and co-op complex nearly 30 years ago.

I live in a HCOL but I have no debts and am getting by just fine financially. I don't have the desire or the energy to move again.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote