Did you "retire to" what you thought you would?

We ER’d about 20 months ago. Before retiring, I created a list of new things I wanted to try and also things I was already doing that I wanted to do more of. I haven’t looked at it once, although it definitely helped me to pull the plug on w*rk knowing that I had all of these cool ideas on how to spend time post-ER.

When I was working, I was VERY tied to a calendar and had most of every day scheduled, including a lot of our weekend time. For me, it has been nice to relax and let retirement come to me. Several good folks on this forum had advised me to do that, and it has worked out very well. I strongly recommend not “over planning.”

DH is more of a “Type B” person, no structure needed for him. I still create a “to do” list for the week, but I don’t get stressed about getting everything done on it. I still schedule some activities and appointments, but try not to start any before 10:00 or 11:00 in the morning. I also try to “bunch” my appointments into a couple of days max so I can have the rest of my time to do what I want in a less structured way.

Some things have turned out as planned, such as doing quite a bit of travel, which we love. So far our health is holding up well but we’re still in our 50’s so that is expected. The biggest pleasant surprise that wasn’t planned is that we have been able to get a lot closer to our adult niece & nephew. They live across the country and when we were working we didn’t see much of them, but since our ER, we have gone there to see them once and they have come out to see us a couple of times each.

I have probably overcommitted myself on volunteering. Currently I am on our HOA Board (which I do not enjoy, have been doing this for almost 4 years), I’m doing local volunteer work for the Red Cross after doing a deployment to the USVI post-hurricanes Irma & Maria last year (which is just ok, I liked the deployment a lot better than the day-to-day work), and I’m involved in 3 different volunteer activities with a local university (really enjoy this). We are doing a 6-week trip to Greece in a couple of months. When we get back, I may decide to drop a couple of these because I’ve found I’m spending less time exercising since I increased my volunteer commitments. I want to prioritize my health so I can keep it good as long as possible. My HOA Board term expires in January, and I can stop doing the Red Cross work anytime.

One other surprise for me is that DH and I spend less time together than I thought we would. I just assumed that once we were retired together, we’d go out for a lot of lunches and exercise together, but it hasn’t worked out that way. We go out for lunch a lot less frequently than I thought we would as we’re both busy with other stuff during the day, and I prefer morning exercise while he prefers later in the day. I think he was worried I’d be bugging him to change his preferences and spend more time doing things together, but I’ve been happy to do my own thing for several hours per day. We spend almost all of our evenings together, just as we did when we were working, and we enjoy traveling together and spending more time with each other then. But when we’re home we each have our own separate interests and are happy to pursue them separately.

As I get closer the exit (ideally end of 2019), I have been spending more time thinking about my "retire to" plans. Unlike some who dread their jobs, I am fortunate to be self-employed and enjoy my job enough that ending it to "get out" is not my motivator. This gives me some flexibility to launch when I feel ready. With the financial side addressed, solving the "what to do with my time" part has been a little bit of a struggle. Interestingly, and I suppose as expected, the feedback from friends/family retired from 1 yr+ has been all over the board. Many have filled their days with golf, volunteer, hobbies, travel, grand kids, while some have said they really just like waking up each day without a plan and see where it takes them. I tend to feel I will want some structure in my RE life, but perhaps it will morph on it's own.

For those retired a few years +, are you doing what you thought you would be doing in RE? Has it gone according to your "plan" or has the plan changed significantly? What, if anything, would you have done differently to prepare for the "retire to" part of RE?

I "retired to" being a full time parent a year after after DW died. After trying to work, it was clear my kids needed me more than my employer. As things have unfolded over the last 3 years, I know I will NEVER regret that decision.

IIRC, OP has kids who are still on the payroll. If correct, be mindful of the "parent pit". That's what many SAHMs fall into and lose all perspective on life otherwise. I've found my toes hanging over the edge of that a few times in the last 3 years. I am not concerned about falling into it, more what it will take to climb out when they leave the nest. For me there hasn't been a balance, but I do try to keep the pendulum from swinging too far either way. The kids are good about bringing me back when I go too far in the personal direction, but there is little to keep the kid-focus in check.

To the OP-Take full advantage of the extra time you will have with your kids. Don't be surprised if your relationships with them get even better. With Mom around, you run less risk of the "parent pit", but keep an eye on her and help her with the transition as they age out of the house.

My experience with the retirement "lists" and activities once treasured and no longer important is similar to others. Keep an open mind.

What a fantastic thread! Thanks for all the sharing, with a variety of experiences.

I'm less than 4 weeks away from ER and getting some anxiety about not having a "proper plan" to "retire to." People are asking and I'm getting tired of it. I just may say what one of my bosses said: "I don't know."

I know there are two camps: "retire to" and "let it come to you." I think both have merits. I've decided my plan: I'm going to just explore and let life come to me until the end of the year and see what happens. My only real plan is to get regular light exercise. After that?

I don't know.

What a fantastic thread! Thanks for all the sharing, with a variety of experiences.

I'm less than 4 weeks away from ER and getting some anxiety about not having a "proper plan" to "retire to." People are asking and I'm getting tired of it. I just may say what one of my bosses said: "I don't know."

I know there are two camps: "retire to" and "let it come to you." I think both have merits. I've decided my plan: I'm going to just explore and let life come to me until the end of the year and see what happens. My only real plan is to get regular light exercise. After that?

I don't know.

I definitely recommend the "let it come to you" selection. You have been planning for a very long time to get to the point of being FIREd, so you can just let retirement "happen".

There is advice that is pretty universal when it comes to BIG CHANGES in life and that is...just wait. Give it some time to figure it all out, to see what it's all about and then after 6 months or so, you will be better suited to making adjustments.

I definitely recommend the "let it come to you" selection. You have been planning for a very long time to get to the point of being FIREd, so you can just let retirement "happen".

There is advice that is pretty universal when it comes to BIG CHANGES in life and that is...just wait. Give it some time to figure it all out, to see what it's all about and then after 6 months or so, you will be better suited to making adjustments.
I agree completely. I started out helping with food preparation in a food kitchen, then volunteered to do data reduction of the sign in sheets and generate reports.monthly.
I also do tax preparation for seniors and low income taxpayers through the IRS/AARP program.
I then discovered opportunities to fly for Angel Flight West and Pilots n Paws.
I also got involved with a railroad society and worked on tourist trains.
My latest venture is helping repair wheelchairs and walkers at a local hospice.
Who know what opportunities will be next

DH is 2 years in, I am at 1.5 years. Not what I had "planned", but very, very good.
I did the Zelinski tree, mostly because I was a bit nervous of unscheduled time 24/7, still have it somewhere. Threw away my to do list after about a month--things get done when I want and see a need, not based on the next thing on the list.
DH is loving it, has developed an interest with knives and woodwork. He was never interested in anything of that sort before!
I have found that I need a bit of structure still, so I plan something every day, but may not plan it until the morning of.
I am back working one day a week, but that is getting harder to do, so I see that coming to an end sooner than I thought.
Loving the free time to help family as needed and take off to travel last minute if we want.
Enjoying Life! And feel blessed every day.

Last edited:
Life is Good

It will be 13 years ago September I retired at 53 from working production at GM under the "30 years and out" plan. This is not the time and place to delve back into my employment history but early on I realized if I were to make it to my retirement sane and healthy I needed to not make my job my life. I existed at the plant "from the neck down" and lived/fullfilled my life outside of work. When I left that factory I never looked back and nurtured my outside friendships and activites I built up away from the plant in my working career.

I can feel myself slowing down and I relish the fact I was able to do so much in my early retirement years.

Everyone is different. Over the years I have gotten great enjoyment from journalling on-line. I have decades of paper journals detailing my working life at GM. My tenure was not typical. The books "Rivethead" https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/209768.Rivethead and "The Savage Factory" https://www.amazon.com/Savage-Factory-Eyewitness-Industrys-Self-Destruction/dp/1438952937 both take place during the time frame I worked at GM. I witnessed the personal destruction of many coworkers. Fortunately I did not get destroyed by the factory.

I've done some "fleshing out" of my writitngs and might someday self publish a "vanity book" of my GM career.

Retirement is everything and more of what I had planned and hoped it would be....

FLA: so sorry to hear about your wife. It is great that you can be home with your kids.

NO! RE 2012 @ 45 but wasn't planned. Spent all our lives non stop working. 2013 thought we were remodeling the LAST home but hated it after we finished it. Built a new home and really like it but has dang near killed me. We do everything. We do not pay to have anything done. That alone is a full time + job. Weather has been horrible the last 8 mths. Non stop storms every day. DW still working for now and I did not see how bad that would be. I'm always waiting for her to get off so we can take off to do something while also trying to catch that very brief window of somewhat manageable weather. Really hammering away at all the projects to actually see what this RE thing actually is. The best part I would say is that my absolute, No drama policy with ppl is achievable in retirement!

It has been nearly 2 years since I retired. The wife just retired with the graduation of he last music student in May. It has pretty much gone as expected and planned. We focus on:

1. Health - lot's of walking, hiking, biking and strength training. My wife is working on her 3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do.

2. Family - our daughter and son-in-law blessed with a grandson about 18 mos. ago and they live about 15 minutes away. Also, spend time with my 96 year old mother, she is doing well, just need to make sure she does not run out of her nightly shot of "Old Charter".:LOL: My sister and I manage the family income.

3. Travel - This year, two trips to Europe and a week in Yellowstone. Have a Far East cruise scheduled for later this year and more next year.

I am sure our priorities will change over time, but we are focused on the next 5 to 10 years.

I do not miss the corporate world at all.:)

Yes!

I retired 6 years ago at 62. It has been exactly what I thought. We got debt free with a home in Florida and a home in the mountains of NC. We spend 6 months in each, with some trips. My wife and I have been blessed with mostly good health and work out pretty much every day. I ride a bike about 100 miles a week, go to the gym 3 days a week and walk on gym days. I have time to study what I want, which is right now the Bible and learning Spanish. I work in the yard, have beautiful flowers in NC and thoroughly enjoy life. I fly drones, I read a lot. A little more money would be a bonus, but we have enough. Retirement is wonderful.

Better than rxpected

Like many folks retiring early in the past 4-5, we have experienced a wonderful early retirement with opportunities for travel, time with children/ grandchildren, and the opportunity to do what we want..when we want.
Money has not been an issue and we have probably exceeded our “budget” while not hurting our bottom line due to the upward trajectoryof the market.
No regrets.
When people ask us if we miss work the snswer is an immediate “NO”.
While our travel may slow down sometime in the next decade, we have been blessed to have the time and resources to do most everything we had hoped to do.

30 years later...

Will be 30 years in November. Better than we could have imagined.

Nearly 3 years now since the wife and I retired. Downsized and moved to Florida. Great Decision! Explored Florida on short trips and getaways for a over a year. Great time! Now have settled down and I'm working couple days a week. Love the interaction with co-workers and flexibility to work when I want. Enjoy the free time so much, that I get a little disappointed the night before I have to go to work them couple days.(If you call it work). I Drive a tram bus in a 55+ community. I have did allot of work around our condo, painting, remodeled bathroom. Takes me along time to do these projects, but what's the hurry. I Love the question for my wife in the morning. " What are we doing today". Just wish more of our friends would hurry up and retire. We went at 55 and 56 years old. Seems like they are more on 65 year old path. Our suggestion: If you can possibly afford retirement, "Do it" Life is to short! Figure out the rest later!

Nearly 3 years now since the wife and I retired. Downsized and moved to Florida. Great Decision! Explored Florida on short trips and getaways for a over a year. Great time! Now have settled down and I'm working couple days a week. Love the interaction with co-workers and flexibility to work when I want. Enjoy the free time so much, that I get a little disappointed the night before I have to go to work them couple days.(If you call it work). I Drive a tram bus in a 55+ community. I have did allot of work around our condo, painting, remodeled bathroom. Takes me along time to do these projects, but what's the hurry. I Love the question for my wife in the morning. " What are we doing today". Just wish more of our friends would hurry up and retire. We went at 55 and 56 years old. Seems like they are more on 65 year old path. Our suggestion: If you can possibly afford retirement, "Do it" Life is to short! Figure out the rest later!

Welcome to our wonderful site goodcookie and welcome fellow Floridian.
I moved to Florida last year.
What are some of the in-state trips you have taken?

Ft. Lauderdale is great place to visit for few days. Take the water taxi for the day. It takes you all the hot spots, get off and on, as you want. They narrate the rides along the way. Wonderful mansions and yachts to see and hear about. Take the water taxi all the way to Hollwood beach. Fun!
Also West Palm is fun to see. Say Hi to the President Lol!
Matlacha is great old Florida small fishing town.
Sannibel Island is a must do!
Marco Island
Marathon in the keys and key west is a whole new world. Fun!
Just to name a few. Put gas in car and go until your can't stand no mo

I am in my 8th year of retirement, but I did not retire until age 66. The first 2 years were extremely busy as I did a lot of remodeling, caring for sick mother and volunteer work. After that, things slowed down as I finished my remodeling, my Mom passed and my volunteer work slowed down. Other retirees have told me it is common to be very busy the first couple of years and then things slow down.

I am in a kinda steady state now still doing some volunteer work, church work and work around the house. We have a 2 acre lot, so it is not hard to find stuff to do plus upkeep of a 44 year old house. My health is still good and I exercise every day, about 3 days at the gym and the rest at home. I do not play golf as much due to nagging problems that seem to never go away and are more a product of my age. I have traveled overseas twice in past few years and hope to go again.

I need to be busy and doing meaningful things (at least to me). It is getting more challenging to find those. My advice to early retirees is find something intellectually stimulating in ER, either a hobby, part time work or perhaps a small business. The challenge may be to find something where you can manage the time so you do not get sucked into a full time job.

One of the problems of retiring at an older age is you will likely have some physical limitations that prevent leading a really active lifestyle. My DW is a couple of years older and she is very limited in what she can do which limits what I can do as well. Our cross country auto trips are now off the table due to her health problems. We both miss that.

I do not regret retiring when I did because I really enjoyed my work and it really sweetened our retirement funds a lot. But I wish that our health was better so we could do more things.

Ft. Lauderdale is great place to visit for few days. Take the water taxi for the day. It takes you all the hot spots, get off and on, as you want. They narrate the rides along the way. Wonderful mansions and yachts to see and hear about. Take the water taxi all the way to Hollwood beach. Fun!
Also West Palm is fun to see. Say Hi to the President Lol!
Matlacha is great old Florida small fishing town.
Sannibel Island is a must do!
Marco Island
Marathon in the keys and key west is a whole new world. Fun!
Just to name a few. Put gas in car and go until your can't stand no mo

Thanks. Sounds great and I do love to drive.

Retiring "to"

Well first off I don't see others posting who "retired to" another country. So of course for me, who did just that, there is a whole other level of variables and changes that I couldn't have predicted and things to get addressed. Just getting permanent residency meant 100's of hours of my time...

But as others have said, they are letting retirement come to them and taking it easy and not sweating the issues. I think that is key. Like others my life was my calendar and schedule and now I sometimes have to check my phone to see what day of the week it is.... Oh and being free to roll over and get an extra hour of sleep when you want is a joy I could hardly have imagined.....

Coming on 5+ years since ER and moving, I find Spanish is still a problem and I will never be fluent I fear. But I speak enough to tackle most any task without having to call on my DW to come with me, help me etc. Did fill up a couple of hours a day just studying and going to classes the first couple of years.

I made that "to do list" too. All the things I always wanted to do, all the books I wanted to read and other than learning to golf (quite badly I think) haven't really looked at the list much. Expected to be bored not being in my home country but not the case. Just when I start to think, "oh what am I going to focus on next" some other project appears. Most recently a Death in the family and I wound up the executor, or the bath drain line comes apart and I have to dig up and renovate the bathroom. There seems to always be something.

Oh and lot's more free time to travel so as time and finances allow we do more of that. Sometimes I think that I didn't put too many expectations on what retirement would be like so I couldn't be disappointed.

I enjoyed by career and successes but in the end I wasn't happy with the new hires and the direction my firm took so knew it was time to go. Assumed it would be to another job but this became doable and with lower cost of living here and some other unexpected windfalls, found what some call FIRE and that is obviously the best of all worlds.:dance:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom