Did you/will you buy dental coverage in retirement?

My dental insurance is good oral hygiene (1) brush with Oral B automatic brusher (forgot full name), (2) floss, (3) clean around gums with one of those rubber tipped things. Then there is the oral hygiene appointment which for me still has to be every 6 months because of plaque buildup. And yes, once in awhile I still have to pay for a crown, oh well.

BTW, those automatic brushers beat regular toothbrushes. I held out for years partly because I was too cheap to spring for one but the results are really great. Also the brush replacements bought at Costco seem to be needed only about every 3 months and so it was more cost effective for me.

My words of wisdom for the day :angel:.

LSBCAL

I've seen some plans available online to individuals. They are not dental insurance, just a pre-negotiated set of fees for procedures that dentists agree to accept if you are a "member" of that plan. We've considered this, but I haven't signed up yet. It looks like it might be a good compromise between paying the walk-up rate at the dentist and buying the available Delta Dental insurance (which is overpriced IMO, and provides an "insurance" component we don't really need).

Here's a site listing some of the various plans.
Dental Insurance Alternative – Discount Dental Plans for Individuals and Groups

I haven't done the research to determine how much the costs are reduced, if dentists in our area accept these terms, etc. We don't have a "regular" dentist yet, so we're flexible in that regard.

Last edited:
I have belonged in the past to a few of these low cost dental plans . The dentists would stop participating as soon as they had experience. Now I have a quality dentist I'm comfortable with who does not participate in these plans. It's worth a few extra dollars a month to have that confidence. These choppers have to last a lifetime. :D:D:D

Thanks so much Ziggy! Your post prompted me to check again the Delta plan's summary of benefits and guess what I didn't realize that it had a maximum benefit of only $1200 per calendar year! I thought it was much, much higher than that! I must have skimmed right over that little "detail" the first time I read it. Then you are right, it's definitely not worth it. Thanks again!

I have the Delta plan with a cap. If I need a crown I have the root canal done in one year (Oct-Dec) and the crown done in the next plan year. I asked my dentist if that was OK to do and he said everybody does it, no problem. If it was a front tooth I might get it all done in one year depending on how vain I felt that year. :D

I got back from the dentist today. Told me two of my fillings would need to be replaced with some new fangled stuff. Total bill over 900 bucks. Good thing we have dental. Only 200 out of pocket :p I only like insurance when I need to get something done ;)

I would never get dental insurance. Doing so reduces my options for where I receive my care. I got my last checkup in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Everyone spoke English and it is a reputable clinic with the latest equipment that does oral surgeries, etc. Total cost for checkup and cleaning was $30. Most places there that do not primarily deal with Westerners are about $15 for the same service.

I am lucky to have good teeth and got everything taken care of on my company's insurance before ER last year.

After talking to many people, I have decided to switch to a pattern of going to the dentist about every 9 months instead of the US dentist recommendation of every 6 months.

Kramer

During the past three years, in anticipation of retirement, my husband and I had all old, worn fillings replaced with new porcelain fillings and crowns and we each have gold crowns on back molars. Our plan didn't pay much - maximum of $1000/year till this year, then $1500 (besides routine xrays and cleanings). We still had to pay beaucoup dollars for the work. Nevertheless, it was something. I've searched through various dental plans for post retirement benefits, and most available to us cost way too much. I found one the other day offered through Pentagon Federal Credit Union (offered by GE Financial) that is affordable, but one is restricted to their list of dentists. So, unless we can find an affordable plan with no restrictions as to which dentist we can see, we'll probably pass for now. We plan to change our 6-month cleaning regimen to 8 or 9 months. This might not work for someone who has periodontal problems.

No insurance for me. I'm currently with an expensive dentist who charges about $100 for cleaning and another $100 for the dentist to do his one minute exam. $400 or so per year just for the routine stuff. There are insurance plans that would cover that routine stuff and cost me less, but I decided in the end I'm better off paying out of pocket.

I skip the exam every other time, which saves me about $100/year. And the dentist cuts me deals on major work... we are at the stage where the restorations he originally did are starting to fail. The dentist one time mentioned offhand that the reason they are starting to fail is that the dentist used polymer materials that were not designed to be used the way he used them (in the molars). I think he regrets making that comment, and ever since he said that he has never charged me for any replacement restorations. So we have a good relationship... I stroke his back by not making his office deal with insurance, and he strokes my back by doing major work free or cheaper.

I will say that when I entered FIRE I got much better about brushing my teeth. That's another benefit of not being insured... it motivates me to do my own preventive work better.

We just got back from the "Dentist" a couple of hours ago. Went to the local (OSU) School of Dentistry (dental students supervised by very competant dentists) as DW had broke tooth off last week. Due to the broken tooth they took her in as an "emergency without appointment". We were dreading the cost of a possible root canal and capping of the tooth which most for profit dentists in the area wanted from $1,700 - $2,500 and many refused to even quote a price. We do not have dental insurance of any kind (never carried it). DW got the tooth looked at and they were able to save it and there was enough left to be able to "cap" it on the spot. Total Bill was $100 which included $30 for two sets of X-Rays and $9 for parking in the school vistor garage.

If you live near a University that has a dental college it is good idea to check into what they may have to offer.

We just got back from the "Dentist" a couple of hours ago. Went to the local (OSU) School of Dentistry (dental students supervised by very competant dentists) as DW had broke tooth off last week. Due to the broken tooth they took her in as an "emergency without appointment". We were dreading the cost of a possible root canal and capping of the tooth which most for profit dentists in the area wanted from $1,700 - $2,500 and many refused to even quote a price. We do not have dental insurance of any kind (never carried it). DW got the tooth looked at and they were able to save it and there was enough left to be able to "cap" it on the spot. Total Bill was $100 which included $30 for two sets of X-Rays and $9 for parking in the school vistor garage.

If you live near a University that has a dental college it is good idea to check into what they may have to offer.

Almost 30 years ago, I had a bunch of work done at OSU (including 3 crowns) for very little money (~$150). They evaluated beforehand to be sure there was not too little or too much work for a semester (year? I forget).

...If you live near a University that has a dental college it is good idea to check into what they may have to offer.
Good idea, your thinking outside the box. I know someone who needs some dental work and she has very little money. I'll pass along the idea, thanks!

Speaking of crowns and dental implants, my new dentist (who specializes in that vs. drill and fill) is recommending crowns on my remaining teeth and dental implants. It appears to me both appear to be a rather radical procedure. Anybody care to give opines on it or where to go to get some pros and cons?

Speaking of crowns and dental implants, my new dentist (who specializes in that vs. drill and fill) is recommending crowns on my remaining teeth and dental implants. It appears to me both appear to be a rather radical procedure. Anybody care to give opines on it or where to go to get some pros and cons?
I would seek out a second opinion if I had a new dentist recommending lots of costly work. Many years ago I went to a new dentist recommended by my physician (a wonderful GP). The new dentist had a guy in there visiting who was obviously some sort of rep for a dental supply company. The dentist recommended much the same thing -- lets do lots of work in your mouth. I remember them both looking at me. It sort gave me a creepy feeling. After that little discussion, I went to a very good dentist with a steady practice and so no motive to improve the bottom line. I didn't say anything about the first dentist's suggestions but my teeth were fine and that was that. Dodged the bullet on that one.

I wonder why a dentist who specializes in crowns and implants would have recommended crowns and implants on your remaining teeth?

Still working 18 hours/week. My employer pays all my insurance.

My dentist only put crowns on teeth that had multiple fillings that were beginning to disintegrate. Otherwise, he replaced any old smaller mercury fillings with lovely porcelain fillings (at my request). Same treatment for my husband, except my husband had a partial permanent bridge (4 teeth that were knocked out when he was a kid). It broke a couple of years ago, and a surgeon had to remove the old metal posts that held it in place. She inserted new ceramic posts that she said should last the rest of life. Then our dentist fashioned beautiful new teeth for him.

Why does the dentist think you need implants -- are you missing teeth? If so, and you can afford it, I'd go for it.

Hey Pete.....out of that $46 /month you'd have to pay for dental work anyway. Unless you go 30 years with no visits to a dentist. (Not to hijack this thread, but where can you get 8% after tax guaranteed for 30 years? ):confused:

In an earlier post on this thread, I was considering stopping my Delta dental insurance since I pay $46 /month for their $1200 cap.

Looking at the math again - I've decided it is worth it to me to keep it because my 2 free cleanings and free X-rays would cost me close to $300 a year out of pocket without the insurance and it's very likely that I will have at least one other procedure each year that will more than pay for my premiums as long as they don't raise them too much.

Certainly everything is hinged on what your oral situation looks like. The best health insurance is a gym pass the best dental insurance is flossing and what not.

Very few things are guaranteed. A good diversified portfolio should yield 8% over time without too much risk (see the book Work less Live more for details), and 30 years is a good long time.

I have been able to save a bundle of money self insuring for these small risks. This year no dental problems and I only get x rays every two years (46 x 12 = 552 in premiums - 150 in cleanings = 402 in savings) Disclaimer. I get free medical and dental benefits in my retirement package from work.

I do however spend the extra 50 dollars a month to get 2 million in umbrella liability coverage for my home, rentals, motorcycles, and cars(thinking about uping it to 5 mil). Big risks I do want to insure against.

Last edited:
I am planning to pay dental expenses out of pocket. My baby teeth were like swiss cheese but then they started adding flouride to the water, and I haven't had a cavity since I was 11. The dentist never needs to do anything to my teeth but clean & polish and X-rays every few years, which is paid 100% as long as I have my job. I may talk to the dentist about having my few old fillings replaced before I retire as a precaution.

I might have the option of rolling over part of the cash value of my accumulated sick leave into a Health Savings Account (not the use-or-lose kind) when I retire from the City, and may just leave it in there in case of a big dental expense.

I've often wondered whether I will buy a dental coverage plan. Right now, I think not. Thought I'd ask others...
So, What are you doing or what do you plan to do about this? Thanks.
i got into a dental plan back in 2004 (age 46) self only plan with Delta Dental thru AARP. my teeth have a bad habit of shearing off in half or worse and i've had to pay out of pocket for 3 crowns prior to getting insurance. i also get 4 cleanings a year to keep periodontal disease in check vs waiting and needing the oh-so-pleasant full scaling method.
my premiums are medium high, but my dental bills were higher. so my cost/tradeoff came out positive. at least for now...
does anyone else out there use this dental plan? any horror stories or kudos?

Back
Top Bottom