Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am living my "retirement" dream...work 10 hours a week, lunch with friends, sleep late, learn how to cook new things, refinishing furniture, knitting blankets, renovating our house. I would like to have DH home with me though We are hoping to retire and get some land, travel, and lots of DIY projects and refinish furniture for sale if we want to.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Back in the 80's I had a choice, as a Federal employee, to stay in CSRS (DB) or switch to FERS (DC) plan.
Although I didn't work for the federal government the county I worked for followed the federal plan fairly closely although I also contributed to SS. Around the early 80's they changed it from a DB to a DC plan similar to the feds for all new hires. With the option to change, one received back half of one's previous retirement plan contributions. I did not take the bait.

A lot of people fell for the lure, buying cars, boats, motorcycles, etc. I know a lot are regretting that choice.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #43

20 years ago my dad retired at 62. His was an active retirement - he knocked all the bucket list items off his list that my mom did NOT want to participate in. (Biking/kayaking/4wd'ing up the west coast - through Canada/Alaska - down through Montana/Wyoming/Utah, etc..)

My mom retired when she turned 62, a few years later - and they started on the shared bucket list items. Man did they do some awesome travel.

I aspired to that.

Then my mom got cancer and died - only 5 years into retirement.
My dad made it 15 years in retirement before cancer got him.

That made me re-evaluate WHEN I would retire. It was complicated by the fact that I was late to marriage/parent-hood. So retirement will involve minor children. So we're planning our retirement in 2 phases - 1) before the kids fly the nest, 2) after the kids fly the nest.

The before the kids fly the nest involves extended summer travel, but staying local and doing volunteer work during the school year.

After the kids fly the nest might involve downsizing, or moving to our granny flat casita (a 1br in our back yard that brings in rental income). If we move to the casita, we'll rent out the family house for bigger rental income. That rent will fund a lot of travel or maybe a boat.

I guess the biggest change in "plans" is the timing. I'm 52 and will retire at 55 or when I get a severance package - whichever comes first. I'm *NOT* waiting till 62.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I had no retirement dreams. It was a "run screaming into the night" retirement. Things have changed over the ears and my next big adventure is getting rid of my house of 35 years and most of the stuff in it, and moving to Florida.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have never really been a dreamer or planner. When I hear about someone's hopes and dreams I wonder if they are in a Disney movie. If something is important to me, like my relationship with my children and other close people, I try to make improvements as I go along. The rest I just evaluate as life goes on. In general, I enjoy being alive, knowing people and interacting with them, being a quality factor in their individual lives, and trying to avoid being an A-hole. The rest of it can just take care of itself. Overall, my goal is a gentlemen's C.

Ha
Old 10-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

My ever changing and amorphous plans have included at different points:

- A desire to walk the Appalachian trail (ego/pride thing, I am an amputee - reality - I don't really like camping)
- A desire to bike coast to coast (still on the list)
- RV for a year or two (a solid maybe)
- making a quiet, self sufficient place (solar, well water, food supply etc; reality - my wife would not enjoy that)
- Living for months at a time abroad, re-engaging my abilities to learn languages (still on the list)
- Downsizing to a ranch/condo incase one day I wind up in a wheelchair (for sure the downsize, who knows about the chair)
- Buying a ski house and a beach/lake house a couple hours apart (NH) - rent out each property during the prime weeks and live in the other during the non prime periods. (doubtful, but appealing).

Most unusually:
-buying/opening/running a drive in theater. I love those places and I would only do it in places cold enough to keep it seasonal. Doubt it happens, and I don't think I'd like running the concessions which is where the money is.

Still 7-15 years out. We'll see.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

Sesq, we still talk about walking the AT or the PCT, although we see the physical changes that have happened even since we started backpacking 10 years ago and understand that it would be a significant challenge.

I am training myself to be more flexible and accepting of changes in plans. On both of our recent long-awaited travels (NYC and Berlin/Amsterdam) DH and I experienced leg/ankle issues that prevented us from walking our customary 15-mile days. So we slowed down and took care of ourselves, and - who knew it was possible! - we enjoyed ourselves fully. This was a triumph for me, who usually engages in all-or-nothing thinking. I hope I can apply this to retirement planning as well.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I am drawn to big challenges like that, but I don't think I have a the passion about the AT to make it a reality. I think I'd be young enough to physically do it, just not sure if the burn is there. I think its appeal is greater when the alternative is w*rk vs ER. ha-ha
Old 10-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesq View Post
I am drawn to big challenges like that, but I don't think I have a the passion about the AT to make it a reality. I think I'd be young enough to physically do it, just not sure if the burn is there. I think its appeal is greater when the alternative is w*rk vs ER. ha-ha
I'm thinking about the El Camino de Santiago for my "big walk", maybe when I turn 50. The AT just isn't that appealing for me, but my boss dreams of doing it.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We always talked about travelling for a year in an RV, then finding a place in the mountains to live. We've been travelling - spent a total of three months on road since June 1, but with stops back at home. We still want to sell the house and move elsewhere, but we're not in a hurry. We'll probably spend half our time on the road, and half back at the house, getting it ready to sell. By the time the house is ready, we may have an idea where we want to move to...
Old 10-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #51

Interesting thread.

First - I had no retirement dreams. When I was younger I just never thought of retirement. It seemed something so far away as to not even be anything to things about. I married in my late 30s and DH's employer had a DB plan. I was clueless and didn't realize how valuable that was (he did realize it). Early on I bought into the you must have x% of income in retirement and came up with an impossibly high number for future retirement.

We had kids late (well, DH had kids early as well but that was another wife) and I had this idea that he would wait until our daughter graduated high school and retire which would have been his full retirement age of 66 and that I would keep working until my full retirement age of 66. I didn't really have a picture in my mind of anyone retiring early unless forced to by health or some other negative event.

Then several things happened. In my early 50s I realized that retirement was approaching faster than I realized. I still didn't have much of a "dream" of retirement. But I realized at some point just how valuable DH's DB was (he ended up taking it as a lump sum which far exceeded what I had thought it would be). I also came across this forum at some point and started for the first time to thing about early retirement. DH retired 4 years earlier than the original plan.

At that point we planned to downsize to a retirement home in a specific locale. That ended up changing and we bought about 60 miles away in a different area. But so far pretty much what we were thinking when DH retired.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
We always talked about travelling for a year in an RV, then finding a place in the mountains to live. We've been travelling - spent a total of three months on road since June 1, but with stops back at home. We still want to sell the house and move elsewhere, but we're not in a hurry. We'll probably spend half our time on the road, and half back at the house, getting it ready to sell. By the time the house is ready, we may have an idea where we want to move to...
I envy you . Sounds like a good plan but my DW would never RV with me ( so she says so far).

Anyone have any idea of how much it costs per month to rent a mid sized new model RV and has anyone done that?
Old 10-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Anyone have any idea of how much it costs per month to rent a mid sized new model RV ...?
Cruise America: RV Rentals, Motorhome Rentals

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #54

I'm hoping to (semi?) retire in Feb 2015. Even if it's not full retirement, I'm at least taking a couple years off, leaving the IT field, and going back to Colorado to enjoy the mountains again, and all the things I've wanted to do for years without a job hanging over me...hiking, backpacking, skiing, snowboarding, etc.

One thing that's really inspired me, and it happened quite recently, was me wanting to get my private pilot's certificate. I live under the flight path of a local GA airport, and one day I saw the small planes flying overhead, and it dawned on me the incredible degree of freedom that provides. I want to do more travelling (mostly national parks, ski resorts, etc), but I hate driving long distances, and I absolutely HATE flying commercial. I just can't deal with airline scheduling, airports, security, taking shoes off, waiting around, delays, being shoved in small seats in coach, crying babies, etc. I hate it.

But...if I had my own small plane, weather permitting, I could fly anywhere I wanted to on my own time. Just wake up one morning and say, "I want to fly to Jackson Hole today", go to the airport, get in my own plane, and go. Just go! That really appeals to me.

I've actually started to rethink my housing plans when I move back. Maybe instead of a larger home or acreage in Colorado, get a smaller house (I'm really not a shared-walls person like condos or townhomes...I can't deal with noisy neighbors, I have to have a house), which would enable me to afford a little more expensive plane.

And before anybody mentions it...yes, I'm fully aware of all the costs involved in maintaining a plane. They're worse than boats. But I wouldn't ever attempt to financially justify owning a private plane - it's impossible All I know is, there's a price to pay for such freedom and fun, and as long as I can reasonably afford it, I'm going for it.

My only problem is staying motivated to deal with the BS at work for another year or so. All while seeing the planes flying overhead and wishing I was up there
Old 10-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #55
Confused about dryer sheets

My husband and I retired about 1.5 yrs. ago. We are now 49 and 48 respectively. We planned for a good 20 yrs. to make early retirement happen. Now we spend lots of time traveling and are gone about 40% of the year. Last year we spent 3 months in Canada rock climbing and mountain biking and this past summer we did the same activities for 2 months in Colorado. Currently we are Bend, OR doing the same. So, yes, this is what we envisioned doing with our free time. I know there will come a point in time where we'll have to scale back our activities but for now, we are making the most of our health and free time. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilson View Post
My husband and I retired about 1.5 yrs. ago. We are now 49 and 48 respectively. We planned for a good 20 yrs. to make early retirement happen. Now we spend lots of time traveling and are gone about 40% of the year. Last year we spent 3 months in Canada rock climbing and mountain biking and this past summer we did the same activities for 2 months in Colorado. Currently we are Bend, OR doing the same. So, yes, this is what we envisioned doing with our free time. I know there will come a point in time where we'll have to scale back our activities but for now, we are making the most of our health and free time. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Welcome swilson! Are you from Placentia, Newfoundland and Labrador, or Placentia, California?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #57

We are from Placentia, CA.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilson View Post
We are from Placentia, CA.
Thanks for clarifying. It appears that both towns' names were derived from the French word "plaisance" meaning "pleasant". Does Placentia live up to its name and are you planning to stay?

I am an ex baby doctor and if you take out the "I" the name means something entirely different to me! See my thread on the importance of spelling here:

Spelling rant

Old 10-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #59

Yep, a lot of people mispronounce Placentia. We like living in Southern California and plan to stay there for the foreseeable future. We have a group group of friends, community and family in the area.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #60

Al

Everyone's different; she would probably enjoy it if you found the right rig and style of campground you would like.
Some people want a lot of room to live IN their RV, and like resort campgrounds with lots of amenities. We are outdoor people who like to live OUT of our RV. We have a larger truck camper. We sleep in it, and spend quiet time in it, when we're not walking, biking, canoeing or cooking on the campfire. We prefer primitive and/or dispersed campsites with few other people around. The truck camper permits us to camp in areas larger styles of RVs can't even get to.

Rent a mid sized one for a week and give it a try. Attempt different sizes and different styles of campgrounds until you find a combination you'd like, or you decide it's not for you. Three years ago, we'd have laughed if anyone had said we'd be in a truck camper. But it's perfect for us.

Untitled by jglennhart, on Flickr