Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
We struggled with whether to rent a storage facility and keep a bunch of things. We ultimately decided that paying for storage for any length of time was like buying 10-year old stuff all over again. We figured we'd save the rental cost and buy new if that time ever arises.
His stuff is three suitcases full of report cards, awards, letters I wrote to him while we were dating, eagle scout stuff and other personal memorabilia.

He is very sentimental and very attached to his stuff and since it doesn't take up all that much room we might ask if it could be stored in his sister's attic.

Someday, when we're gone, our son will just toss it in the trash but until then his stuff is not going anywhere!

The rest of the furniture, art, rugs, etc would all be sold.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
He is very sentimental and very attached to his stuff and since it doesn't take up all that much room we might ask if it could be stored in his sister's attic.
Yup, we too have some irreplaceable things squirreled away in relatives' attics.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
Do tires have an expiration date? The tires on our Dodge Durango are the original ones from when we bought it 10 years ago. I've never replaced tires for any reason other than wear, and these still have several years worth of tread left on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
Thanks, I had looked at that link, and that made me wonder about the expiration date. It's something to consider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I managed to have tires on my car fail earlier this year due to rot rather than mileage. The car had become a grocery getter/station car that did not get driven more than 2000 miles a year and the tires gave out after 5 and a half years. Still had plenty of tread.
We have the same low-mileage high-UV conditions in the isles. In our case with our Altima's 10-year-old tires, the car developed a steering-wheel shimmy that grew progressively worse. I was thinking we needed to check a wheel bearing or a front-end alignment. Then one side of the front developed a peculiar speed-related "galumping" noise that was especially bad at 10-20 MPH. A short visual inspection of the tire revealed that the steel belt was breaking through.

We would've figured out this problem a lot quicker if we were in regions that had high speed limits (over 60 MPH) or higher mileage (over 3000-4000 miles/year). The easy answer is to replace the tires every 5-6 years no matter how well they seem to be holding up.

Of course we had two flat tires within a few months of putting on the new ones. One flat was a manufacturer's defect and the other was a Phillips' head screw.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
RV tires have to be watched. If the RV sits without being driven the rubber can 'rot'.
+1 on this. I come from the auto business where lot rot - meaning new cars parked for weeks - causes problems like tire flat spotting and disc brake rotor localized rusting. The best thing you can do for any vehicle is drive it regularly. Sitting causes all kinds of weird problems. When we did prove out testing, we would try to simulate a lifetime of use in a few months. This prove out entailed driving the vehicle night and day with occasional passes through a salt bath and lots of bumps. We never let a vehicle sit for 3 or 6 months to see what would quit working.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

@Nords,
Thanks. I think I'll perform a detailed visual inpection of both vehicles tomorrow. My wife's Durango sits in our grarage most of the time. However, my 2005 GMC pickup sits in our driveway, so its tires might actually be in worse shape than the Durango's, even though they're newer and with fewer total miles on them.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Personally I don't trust any tire over 6 years old on any vehicle for anything beyond a couple of miles to the grocery store & back. Definitely not at highway speeds, especially if you decide to load the wife, kids, dog, grandma and a trunk full of luggage. Time, sun, ozone, and underinflation - not necessarily in that order - kills tires.

RV tires are even more susceptible to failure due to the loads they carry.
You know, in some areas of the world they have this thing in the atmosphere called "moisture". Sometimes it can extend the life of tires and other things that tend toward dry rot.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
You know, in some areas of the world they have this thing in the atmosphere called "moisture". Sometimes it can extend the life of tires and other things that tend toward dry rot.

Actually, "dry rot" isn't caused by a lack of moisture and living in a damp climate doesn't prevent tires from becoming brittle and cracking. See here for an explanation of the causes: What Is Dry Rot in Tires?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #28

There are covers available to protect tires from the sun. Sunlight is what rots them.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Sunlight is what rots them.
Sunlight (UV rays) is one of the things that causes tires to become brittle and crack, but not the only thing. Tires stored in complete darkness will deteriorate due to the ozone in the air, lack of use and age. See links above.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I have heard about older Motor homes not being welcome in private parks.......found this link: RV FAQ's & Tips: Buying an RV

And quote from the page......
Older RV's may not be permitted in some parks

Before buying an older recreational vehicle, be aware that some private parks have an age cutoff for the RV's they allow. When you call to make a reservation, park staff often ask what year model is your RV. For many private parks, the cutoff is 10 to 15 years old.
The reason for the age limit is to maintain park aesthetics. Because of this, park managers may be willing to make exceptions for older RV's kept in good condition. The inverse is also true—a newer RV that looks shabby may be unwelcome.
Enforcement of the age limit varies by park and season. Better maintained parks are more selective about the rigs they allow. On the other hand, parks tend to be more lenient during the slow season.

Is this still the situation at private RV Parks?
Old 09-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
It isn't something you run across at most commercial parks - I'd guesstimate fewer than 10% have such a rule. But some RV 'resorts' do try to keep the riff-raff out by establishing a ten year age limit.

I've seen much older well cared for rigs in some of these parks. It appears the rule is often selectively enforced and based on the appearance of your RV rather than its age.

BTW, many parks who have such a rule tend to be expensive and have a long list of "Do not..." regulations. A bit like living in a neighborhood with an overzealous HOA...

Old 09-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
We're currently at our 86th campground. Most of those have been private. So far we've only been asked once about the age of our RV when making reservations. Nearly all of the parks we've been in have had at least a couple of older RVs, so I don't think folks are getting turned away at the gate either.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #33

We're not into expensive anything (Motel 6 knows us well) so doubt we'll ever stay at an RV "resort". And if an RV park doesn't want my money then we'll just mosey on down the road.

I want to find the quiet, secluded spots and if that requires boondocking that's ok with me !
Old 09-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yep, most folks wear out tires on their cars and suv's long before they 'age' out. RV's aren't usually driven enough to even come close to wearing out the tread before the ravages of time make them unsafe.
Yup, that's why it's not uncommon to see the RV folks use those tire covers (ever noticed that you don't really ever see the tire covers on automobiles?)
Old 09-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_INVEST View Post
Yup, that's why it's not uncommon to see the RV folks use those tire covers (ever noticed that you don't really ever see the tire covers on automobiles?)
I don't really think those covers do much good - too many other things working on your tires. But hey, installing and removing tire covers gives RV owners something to do while the charcoal burns down...

Old 09-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #36
Confused about dryer sheets

Here are a couple of active forums on RV use and the full time lifestyle. Might be some useful info.

RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information

Escapees Discussion Forum
Old 09-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHER View Post
Here are a couple of active forums on RV use and the full time lifestyle. Might be some useful info.
Another very good RV forum (run by the same folks who run this one) is iRV2. The mods there do a good job of keeping it 'user friendly', something you won't always find on RV.net.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:39 PM   #38

REWAHOO,
You OK with the fires in your neck of the woods? From our local news it looks like the whole Hill Country is ablaze. Sure hope you and yours are out of the path and in good shape.

I agree on RV.net being a bit of a slush with a lot of blow hards and bullying. I rarely go there anymore. IRV2 is better for civil discussions but maybe not so much for technical things. I actually spend most of my RV forum viewing to the TiffinRVNetwork.com. It has a ton of model-specific information that has saved my bacon more than once while out on the road or stuck in a campground middle of nowwhere.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #39

SteveR, thanks for asking. Yes, we are OK - at least so far.

Fires have been popping up all over the state and there were two within a few miles of us over the weekend. Thankfully they were controlled with no significant loss of property.

I've never seen it like this and am a bit nervous. Our house is located in what has become a cedar tinderbox. DW and I had a discussion last night and agreed we'd put together a 'bugout checklist' - a prioritized list of what to grab if we had to get out in a hurry.

The weatherman commented last night about all the trees in the area dying from lack of water. He noted the 8 inches of rainfall we've had in the past year is typically what Phoenix gets (we average close to 30) - not many trees around Phoenix.

If we don't get some rain we'll no longer be living east of the Chihuahuan desert...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chihuahua_desert.jpg (77.7 KB, 82 views)

Old 09-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #40

Quote:
If we don't get some rain we'll no longer be living east of the Chihuahuan desert...
My dad in San Antonio said the exact same thing last week. Good luck REWahoo, Ziggy and everyone else in that area. You need rain, and lots of it.

We owned land in Bastrop a couple of years back (have since sold). I know the area so was watching the Bastrop fire videos over the weekend. It was shocking how the trees and grass around the houses weren't on fire but the houses seemed to be auto-combusting. I presume the wind was carrying embers which set the roofs on fire?