Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
We owned land in Bastrop a couple of years back (have since sold). I know the area so was watching the Bastrop fire videos over the weekend. It was shocking how the trees and grass around the houses weren't on fire but the houses seemed to be auto-combusting. I presume the wind was carrying embers which set the roofs on fire?
Not sure and hope I never have to find out first-hand.

Here's a link to a slide show of 200+ photos of the fires around Bastrop, Austin and San Antonio. Note #41 - the house and garage are totally destroyed while a few feet away an RV appears to be undamaged.

Texas wildfires - San Antonio Express-News

For a close look at how fast the Bastrop fire was moving, check out the second video on this link and turn up your sound. For reference, those trees are 60-70 feet tall...

Fire videos | Newswatch | a mySA.com blog

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The spread of that fire left me speechless. Please take care. I think your idea of having a quick getaway plan is a very good one.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!

I got my new RV last Friday and paid for a 4-hour driving lesson, which would have been a good idea except:

1) the day started with a flat tire on my car, which made me nearly 2 hours late getting to the RV lot

2) the driving lesson started around lunchtime on the Friday before one of BC's busiest long weekends

3) the driving instructor decided to take me through narrow city streets to get me used to driving something that size (34 foot Class A)

4) Then he took me on the freeway at the start of rush hour - again this is the Labour day long weekend

5) Then he brought me back through 2 towns - again at rush hour

The weekend ended with me getting locked into the RV lot storage area because the guy didn't know I was still cleaning up the RV. I had to call the police to get me out.

Actually, the weekend ended when I bought some booze and sat in my living room until my heart rate returned to normal.

Have fun with your new toy!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
3) the driving instructor decided to take me through narrow city streets to get me used to driving something that size (34 foot Class A)
With, or without, the TOAD?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
I got my new RV last Friday and paid for a 4-hour driving lesson, which would have been a good idea except:

1) the day started with a flat tire on my car, which made me nearly 2 hours late getting to the RV lot

2) the driving lesson started around lunchtime on the Friday before one of BC's busiest long weekends

4) Then he took me on the freeway at the start of rush hour - again this is the Labour day long weekend

5) Then he brought me back through 2 towns - again at rush hour

The weekend ended with me getting locked into the RV lot storage area because the guy didn't know I was still cleaning up the RV. I had to call the police to get me out.

Actually, the weekend ended when I bought some booze and sat in my living room until my heart rate returned to normal.
Hey, didn't everyone tell you RVing would be an adventure!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote